Author Topic: Diary Thursday 6th May  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary Thursday 6th May
« on: Thursday 06 May 21 23:36 BST (UK) »
It was polling day here for some local elections. Wasn't sure which times would be quieter, difficult to judge in the current circumstances. Went to vote mid morning, I could have walked down but I prefer walking through the woods than walking through streets. The polling station was at the school where it usually is, there were very few people there. It was one out one in so I was waiting in the lobby till the couple who were voting left the room. Everything was well organised, the staff were spaced apart, exit was through a door at the back. Had a brief chat with one of the staff who I know.

Came home, changed into a different jacket then out for a walk. It was really pleasant and sunny at that time, the forecast was for cloud and rain later. Did some boring things like sorting out the freezer, gardening wasn't appealing to me, it was getting progressively cloudier and really quite cold. It rained later in the afternoon.  After getting sidetracked on the laptop I forced myself to leave it and do some ironing. It was one of those can't be bothered days.

In the evening I watched yesterday's Sewing Bee, what can I say, I despair of these contestants who have had the opportunity to practise at home for the made to measure challenge but still manage to screw it up. And if the presenter and one of the judges don't stop referring to 'rawredges' I'll put my foot through the screen. Sloppy and lazy, no excuse for it. That applies to some of the sewing too.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Thursday 6th May
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 May 21 00:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, that woman with a mouth like a red rat trap!
And the presenter  in a glitter top !

And sickth instead of sixth !

Will be interesting to see the result of the elections ,who will be the Mayor of Greater Manchester and who on Bury Council for our area.

Phoned sister in law as her Birthday today.
Friend phoned just as I was getting in the bath! No problem ,it was scalding hot so could wait.

Washed and sorted some very nice storage jars I have had for years ,square with wooden tops ,were lovely in my Victorian  pine kitchen.
Grand daughter wanted them but has not collected them yet obviously and I have fallen in love with them all over again.She can have them though if she wants.
Watched the program about matching people with dogs.
A lovely couple took in a very robust Staffie, but it attacked without provocation or warning another dog whilst out walking.
Oooer!
Not a breed I like at all.

An interesting programme too re violence in family homes ,and its effect on
children,especially boys who see their mothers abused .

Well no real news .I think I have posted today already.
So cheerio, Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 May 21 07:43 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, I had put that programme out of my mind.  WHAT is that necklace Esme favours? :P I am beginning to wonder if the whole thing is actually a comedy spoof?? But perhaps the quality of the sewing was rather improved this week.... and surely we have seen Andrew on TV somewhere before?  :-\
What a wild kind of a weather day here!  Massive black clouds rolling around with blue skies and blazing sunny intervals, but although I was outside a lot I didn't get wet. Hurrah!
3 cruise ships still riding at anchor in the Bay.
Afternoon Morris practise and a cuppa with 5 others in a garden, and in the morning a walk along an almost deserted Esplanade with a chum. 
We talked family history, and if anyone has a sub to the Liverpool newspaper archives and a bit of time, I would love a favour for her please.  :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 May 21 08:08 BST (UK) »
Well the gasman came so that's boiler fixed and has it's certificate for the next year.

Not a good day overall, lots of legal stuff to deal with and incompetence compounded by a blase "so what" attitude when I complained.  So as a result I am still mad,VERY mad.

Had studying to do for work but didn't get round to it what with housework and all the phonecalls I had to make.  I have until the end of the month to complete it so will be OK as long as I get myself in gear. 

We had snow today. That's one for the records considering it's May.

Voted today, there were people there but not that busy.  Looked like there were lots of people not scored off. it was only half 2 though so maybe they would vote after work or hopefully postal votes.  They are not going to be starting the count until Friday morning so ages before the results.

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 May 21 08:52 BST (UK) »
Late again to the party!

Up early as needed to get to Lidl’s and back before girls coming for coffee... weather not looking good, rain in the night and still a bit drizzly...
OH going off to golf but first went to vote... very lucky as it’s in our village hall which is literally over the road! We’re a small village and some do postal votes so for the couple that are there from 6-10 it’s a very long day... still they’re villagers so a chance to catch up with others as there’s never a queue 😀😀.
It’s only the second time I’ve been into the hall since March last year!
The floor looks so beautiful as it was sanded and resealed during April last year and hardly anyone’s been in there since!
We duly voted all well organised with screens up, sanitizers, took our own pens... brief chat and OH went off to golf and I went to Lidl’s... which wasn’t to busy..
I wasn’t hopeful for our coffee outside as it was still drizzling...
Popped to Waitrose for a few bits using the quick check app... so much quicker..
By the time I got home it had at least stopped raining....
in the end one friend came, early, I was still putting shopping away and not ready... hadn’t had any breakfast... no big deal as could do with shedding a couple of pounds!
We sat in the conservatory with the doors open... garden furniture far to wet to put cushions out! By the time she left at gone 1pm the sun was out...😤😤
Had some lunch... more paperwork to do for lottery...
OH home....
Decided I’d go out and try and call on all the new people who’ve moved into the village, there have been a few, and try and sign them up for the lottery...
it was very pleasant to knock on doors and chat with new folk and I signed up five more and a further two going to discuss with partners... a good afternoons work! And the sun was shining...
More paperwork to do on my return home...
friend called with her subs and we had quick discussion about the hairdresser we both use/used in my case... she, like me, was very unhappy with his whole attitude to covid... no mask wearing, saying it was all a big hoax..😱😱😳 and she said she’s never going back... I said me neither and I’d found someone else...
She said she felt like reporting him for his non compliance with covid regs! I’ll leave her to do that!
Dinner was later than usual (8pm) sausage, mash and greens from the garden..
Watched some tv... not caught up with Sewing Bee yet!
Good news my daughter feeling back to normal today! Curtain fabric been delivered to her, she just needs to get the lining and we’ll be good to go when I go down on 19th May. ( and no OH not coming to watch us sew for several days! He’d miss his golf and their spare beds not that comfortable for him... moaning minny!)
Had a call from H to say that hubbie M was getting on well with his treatment, just feeling tired about to start next lot of treatment in tablet form... that’ll finish on 23rd May then tests, perhaps home for short spell then back for stem cell treatment... his sisters being tested to see if she’s a match if not apparently there’s a large bank to draw from... she’s very upbeat which is good to hear... everyday visits for only an hour with hour and half drive there she said tiring...

Good to read everyone else’s posts... such bizarre weather... read that Cumbria had snow enabling skiers to get out for some fun... in May!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 May 21 09:12 BST (UK) »
We do postal vote nowadays . They kept moving our polling station around when decisions were made not to use schools so we decided to go postal. Much easier we've found. Last time we did a physical vote, we were in the entrance area of our local Church of England church built in the 1800's.
Felt very odd voting there and I felt sorry for the election staff as it was freezing. I used to do polling clerk role back in the day.
We went to the opticians and I managed to order my new glasses so that's another job done . When I had my test pre Christmas, they didn't have many small frames in which I need, then we got locked down again,  so yesterday we went back to try again.
North East of England

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 May 21 10:43 BST (UK) »
What strange weather we're all having, have just had a look back at the diary entries for the same date last year, it was warm and sunny everywhere although I did report a chilly wind in the morning. The VE day celebrations were taking place on the 8th and it was warm enough here for people to sit out in the street.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 May 21 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I thought I would join in as I had a vaguely interesting day. Went to vote at the village hall which is just a hop, skip and jump away. As others have said it was very well organised, only 2 in at a time. In one door and out of another. Being in the village hall brought back pleasant memories of a former life, quizzes, parties, fete's etc. I then went to visit a friend I haven't seen since last summer. Felt very cold even in the sun so went well wrapped up in cashmere jumper and my thick walking socks along with thick jacket and a scarf. Is it really May? Makes me wonder when I will get to wear the summer clothes I recently splurged on. It was lovely to catch up with friend C, felt quite uplifted when I left so decided to treat myself to a bottle of pinot on the way home as OH was meeting up with a few friends in the evening at the village pub.
Had a 'hearty' chicken casserole for tea, the sort of food you normally eat in the depths of winter. Put the heating on as I just couldn't get warm. My mum would turn in her grave at the thought of the heating on in may, I could just hear her telling me 'I need more flesh on my bones'.
OH went to the pub about 7.30, I thought he was mad but he was dying for a pint of real ale. At least he went out dressed for artic conditions. He hadn't been gone long and the heavens opened, rain bouncing off the orangery roof and the wind blowing a hoolie. I expected him back within half an hour, but no, being the die hard he is he stuck it out until 10pm. I decided to catch up with a few episodes of a 'place in the sun' with a glass of pinot. Was interrupted by a call from my daughter who was near hysterical after receiving her car insurance renewal. After I had peeled her off the ceiling I advised her to go on some price comparison sites to see if she could get a better deal. She calmed down and we had a lovely chat. Back to a place in the sun, had another glass of pinot, well, nearly the whole bottle actually but what the heck.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 May 21 11:19 BST (UK) »
It sounds like many of you had very unseasonable weather.

Thank goodness your gas is sorted out Pharma. We have liquid gas delivered - sometimes they can’t be bothered coming, or forget, leading to us running out of gas. Makes me livid.

Ironing Roobarb? I haven’t done any ironing since 2001.   ;D We enjoy that “casual” fashion look.

I get the impression Caroline that despite your trip to your daughter being a labour of love, that you might enjoy the brief break from your lovely hubby?  ;) It will be a nice change of scenery for you anyway.

The last few elections we’ve had, I have opted for a postal vote, even before covid. I can’t be bothered waiting in queues. When at home I can do some googling to check out the candidates too, though they are all generally full of hot air.

I hope you had a clear head after your bottle of Pinot Jo. If I were you I would have accompanied my OH to the pub for a real ale.  ;D

Have you heard any more about availability of puppies Viktoria? My sister looks after a Jack-a-poo (one year old) once a week while his Mum does yoga. He’s a cute thing but apparently the mother is a bit highly strung, so that might have rubbed off on the dog. He also needs desexing.   ;)

Another dog sitting day for me - a pleasant 26 degrees here. Much talk of trying to trace how two people, husband and wife, contracted the US variant of covid. Considering his movements, it is amazing that it wasn’t passed on to anyone else, not that they have found yet anyway.