Author Topic: Diary Thursday 6th May  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Thursday 6th May
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 May 21 00:01 BST (UK) »
I'm still up Viktoria and it's nearly midnight, how naughty of me. Can hardly keep my eyes open though. 💤

Hope you've recovered from your aches and pains Diana. Be sure to let us know what's in the box when you've opened it on Sunday!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 May 21 00:06 BST (UK) »
Caroline, it’s nice to have a break from one’s OH occasionally isn’t it?  ;)

It must have been worrying to wake up in pain Diana - it must have been a relief when it subsided. Good that you are able to pass the magazines on to your friend - it would have seemed such a waste to throw them out. Let’s hope her test results are alll clear.

It’s Mother’s Day here on Sunday too. I’ve told daughters not to buy me a present, but I will see them on the day.

Added: I regularly have problems posting on rootschat (error message 522 or some such thing), so am trying again, and note that Viktoria has posted in the meantime.

I think that with many products reviews just complicate matters.

If your current bed base is still in good order and your boxes fit underneath, you should be able to find a good mattress to fit exactly. It is probably just a matter of taking the measurements of the current mattress and finding one the same size.

There are companies here that deliver mattresses rolled up in a box, and offer refunds if you don’t like it after x amount of months. What they do with any which are returned I have no idea.

Memory foam are comfortable, but can be a bit firm for some people. Maybe you could consider those which have a memory foam topper.

You can probably get one delivered sight unseen but that is probably a bit risky as you really need to try before you buy. Another consideration is that you might need the delivery people to take your old mattress away and put the new one in place (which may cost extra). These days some companies don’t offer that service though.

It sounds like I know a lot about mattress shopping, but I don’t.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 May 21 00:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your good wishes Roobarb and Ruskie, I feel much better now.  Just unloaded the dishwasher and washed some pots and pans, slightly achey, but nothing that won’t go away soon.
Have a nice Mother’s Day, Ruskie, lovely you will see your daughters.  We are in lockdown, so won’t see any of my three. 😔. The media are a bit worried people will be gathering, and some surely will, our numbers of Covid cases are dropping somewhat but no where near good levels.  A local 18 year old died recently, our youngest death.  Certainly more cases among younger people this time.
The USA is pressuring to have the border reopened, I certainly hope they don’t soon.  Trouble with The US is they make a lot of noise and exert a lot of pressure politically.
For what it’s worth I have had a memory foam mattress for about 8 years and would not go back to regular.  It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it, but love it now.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 May 21 04:45 BST (UK) »
Happy Mother’s Day to you too Diana. I’m not a great one for Mother’s Day - I can take it or leave it. As it is purely commercial here I generally suggest the children buy me a tiny gift, or, as this year, nothing.  :)

I see I messed up my previous post, so will go back and correct it.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 May 21 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all the welcome advice .
Does memory foam,well, stay in your shape?Is that a daft

Chucking it down here! All over  the Country is the same.
Seemingly only Lerwick ,Shetland Isles has any sunshine

Hope everyone is well, and aches and pains disappear .
Have a nice Mothers’Day,those who celebrate it at this time .

Made another lemon cake so will share with next door,her daughter and son in law will call tomorrow ,her daughter sometimes a few times in a day but a care package now in place so not so often, but always  each day.

Spoke with friend in Shropshire ,she sounded strong and was lucid ,her
B/ day 29 th May ,I must get the Lavender water she will like .

Well folks for the first time since Lockdown last March I am venturing to the market!
Fresh greens and a call to card shop - lots of B/ days and anniversaries this month.
Can look to see if any news on the Church notice board .

When I put two discs out years ago I was told by the Physiotherapist to roll a bath towel tightly ,put it round my waist and then lie down in bed .
It will stay at waist height and keep your spine from sagging down .
It will fall either side of your waist
I used it for years and have gone back to it recently ,it is not uncomfortable and if you roll over either way it is still there in place ,across the bed.
Keeping the natural posture of your spine..

Well must get my skates on ,figuratively speaking of course ,another term for starting to do something .
Thanks for the advice and news .Cheerio
Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 May 21 11:30 BST (UK) »
The memory foam I think moulds to your shape while you are lying on it, then bounces back after you get off it. My daughter has one and it’s quite firm but doesn’t have impressions of bodies all over it, if that’s what you are asking about Viktoria. Diana might be able to help a bit more with that. I think it supports the body, so you might not need the towel for your back.

You’re very brave venturing to the market, but it will be lovely for you to get out and about and browse for your veg and cards.  ;)

The lemon cake sounds delicious. I get lots of inspiration through hearing about what everyone is cooking. Now I have a craving for lemon cake.  ::) ;D

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 May 21 12:21 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, I bought a new mattress a couple of years ago and before buying I did a lot of research online, there are articles such as the Which one that list the pros and cons of each type of mattress.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mattresses/article/how-to-buy-the-best-mattress-atlAf8V9fiZN

As Ruskie says, it's important to measure the bed base exactly, all double bed mattresses for instance are not the same size. I bought a pocket mattress, when I first got it I could feel the undulations and it was a bit uncomfortable, I then put a mattress topper under the sheet and that solved the problem. I bought mine from a local shop rather than one of the big dedicated stores, the assistant was very helpful, wherever you decide to buy from make sure you get an assistant who can give you the information you need. And make sure you lie on the mattresses!

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 May 21 12:50 BST (UK) »
That is a good review link Roobarb.   I bought a memory foam mattress but had to replace it as having hip problems at the time I found it difficult to turn over.  I also found it too warm (But I am down south  ;D )   

We did spend sometime in the shop trying it out but I don't suppose I realised it would be difficult to turn as lying their fully clothed without covers over is not quite the same as when you are dressed for bed. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 May 21 14:08 BST (UK) »
Rosie, I did find turning over a problem too, but my hip was fine when I bought it.  A couple of weeks in, my body had adjusted.  I also have a memory foam pillow that has a coolant in it, as I get warm.
4 degrees here this a.m., felt like 2 when I took dog out at 6:30, no frost though.  He was fussing at two grackles who had the temerity to be picking at seeds under the bird feeder (they are just a little too heavy to feed from it, and pull the cage down over the feeding holes).  Fortunately he refrained from barking.