Author Topic: 1939 register queries and handwritting (TAYLOR)  (Read 608 times)

Offline AJH - Holmes and Gordon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 register queries and handwritting (TAYLOR)
« on: Friday 07 May 21 09:34 BST (UK) »
I have a couple of questions regarding an entry in the 1939 register, in particular for a Ernest Taylor 1907 in Morpeth Northumberland. I can't quite make out the occupation section, the transcription states 'Natal worker (coal miner)'. I have a lot of miners in my tree but I haven't come across this term before, is it correct? And I can't make out the rest of the occupation notes.

Is there anyway to view the rest of the right hand page? I was under the impression the whole page was viewable from previous records I have seen, so I would be interested to see what is written after British Red Cross.

And finally, the address and schedule. The Dunn's at 20 Oldagte are also in my tree (schedule 108), with the Taylor's at schedule 109, though no addresss before hand. Would this indicate they lived in the same house, just seperating the familys by schedule number, or the house was a split into flats? Or just that the address wasn't noted and they lived next door?

TIA :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register queries and handwritting (TAYLOR)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 May 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 May 21 09:43 BST (UK) »
He’s a Datal worker.
See ‘dataler’ here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_coal_mining_terminology#D

Thanks for that, I hadn't heard of that before either. And the link is very useful too for other mining terms  :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 May 21 12:30 BST (UK) »
Is there anyway to view the rest of the right hand page? I was under the impression the whole page was viewable from previous records I have seen, so I would be interested to see what is written after British Red Cross.

And finally, the address and schedule. The Dunn's at 20 Oldagte are also in my tree (schedule 108), with the Taylor's at schedule 109, though no addresss before hand. Would this indicate they lived in the same house, just seperating the familys by schedule number, or the house was a split into flats? Or just that the address wasn't noted and they lived next door?

Full viewing of right hand page is not normally available.

I would assume that they are in the same property but different 'households'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 May 21 14:18 BST (UK) »

[/quote]

The 1911 Census for Oldgate, Morpeth shows that most of the houses were occupied by several households, each declaring how many rooms they had. The entry for 20 Oldgate, reveals that the householder was a John Thomas Watson (a market gardener) along with his wife and two children. They took boarders in and when the 1911 Census was taken, there are 7 boarders listed. The entry shows that 20 Oldgate consisted of 7 rooms (excluding the usual scullery, kitchen, bathroom etc).

At some stage (possibly late 1950s early 1960s) part of Oldgate was demolished on the Royal Mail Delivery Office now occupies 18-22 Oldgate.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 May 21 16:26 BST (UK) »

The 1911 Census for Oldgate, Morpeth shows that most of the houses were occupied by several households, each declaring how many rooms they had. The entry for 20 Oldgate, reveals that the householder was a John Thomas Watson (a market gardener) along with his wife and two children. They took boarders in and when the 1911 Census was taken, there are 7 boarders listed. The entry shows that 20 Oldgate consisted of 7 rooms (excluding the usual scullery, kitchen, bathroom etc).

At some stage (possibly late 1950s early 1960s) part of Oldgate was demolished on the Royal Mail Delivery Office now occupies 18-22 Oldgate.

Wow, thats some pretty logical thinking regarding room numbers, thank you for that. And I was just in the process of figuring out just where the house was in relation to current buildings. Time to hunt out some old photos ;)

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 May 21 23:37 BST (UK) »
9.4 The ‘postings’ column

Each entry in the Register extended across a double page spread. However, the digital record does not include the ‘postings’ column on the right hand page which contains various codes used for National Registration and National Health Service purposes. The National Archives does not have access to this column and the information it contains.
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 May 21 23:40 BST (UK) »
9.4 The ‘postings’ column

Each entry in the Register extended across a double page spread. However, the digital record does not include the ‘postings’ column on the right hand page which contains various codes used for National Registration and National Health Service purposes. The National Archives does not have access to this column and the information it contains.
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/

Thanks, that makes sense :)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 May 21 06:02 BST (UK) »
snip

Snip

Yes as with all records held by public authorities you can request access through the Freedom of Information Act 1920.
You need to write to the Health and Social Care Information Centre (now called NHS Digital) and make a Freedom of Information Act request to view the details on the right hand page of the relevant record.

Be aware they may claim it is protected under various Acts but that is not correct as the details you are applying for are for a deceased person.
The process should go smoothly but in some cases the clerk may be obstructive in which case persevere and appeal if need be.
You may find there are no more details or you may find the additional details are what you regard as boring administration details.

You should also be aware that there may be a charge for any information supplied and in some FoI cases these charges quickly mount up, but you will be advised of any charges in advance.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.