Author Topic: Any one had the problem of Genes Reunited removing relations from your tree?  (Read 452 times)

Offline rockmaiden1984

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi
Has anyone had the problem of Genes Reunited removing relations?. I have 3 trees one that has a few relations on and the other two had loads. All three trees are saying I have 433 relations and I know at least one of my trees had well over a 1000 (and that's the total when I checked years ago so maybe would have been more). I only discovered this after I exported the gedcom to ancestry after I got my DNA results and when I was looking there were relations not there that I know I had added. I'm absolutely gutted as I have been doing my family tree for over 10 years  :'(. I have contacted Genes Reunited and am awaiting their answer.

Becky

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Do you only use an online tree?

Might be a good idea to buy/download some software so you can store your info on your own computer too (and always back it up).

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline TopHat62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would suggest a paper back up, because sofware can't cope with dofgy relies anyway.

Here are some of the deceased relie problems, I've had

When his wife died one relie married his wife's sister.
When her husband died, a relie married her former father-in-law's grandson in the next county, then moved back to take over running the former father-in-law's pub when he died.
Two sisters, married two brothers.
When his wife died, one man married his late wife's half sister and his son married his new wife's niece.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Any one had the problem of Genes Reunited removing relations from your tree?
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
Has anyone had the problem of Genes Reunited removing relations?. I have 3 trees one that has a few relations on and the other two had loads. All three trees are saying I have 433 relations and I know at least one of my trees had well over a 1000 (and that's the total when I checked years ago so maybe would have been more). I only discovered this after I exported the gedcom to ancestry after I got my DNA results and when I was looking there were relations not there that I know I had added. I'm absolutely gutted as I have been doing my family tree for over 10 years  :'(. I have contacted Genes Reunited and am awaiting their answer.

Becky

In my experience GR always reply eventually,so don't give up on that.

I noticed this thread earlier, but didn't reply because I did't think I've lost anyone from my (larger than yours) tree, but I don't "keep score" of how big it is so how would I know? Then today  I got a "Smart Match" from MyHeritage about a family who don't appear in my current tree so I thought "have they been deleting"?

It turns out that in this case the family were from a match with somebody else whose research I had accepted, but later I proved wrong. I did the deletions myself. I can't correct my ancient MyHeritage tree because I'm no longer a member and don't wish to rejoin (exzpensively).

I was puzzled that you have 3 trees on GR. I'm only allowed one - I wanted to split it into four (one for each grandparent) but that wasn't allowed (fortunately, because I later found connections between my maternal grandparents.

So I wonder if that number of 433 is the number in just one tree, and if the one of 1000+ is still lurking somewhere? Viewing the homepage, I don't see how it can display the details of more than one tree.

Anyway, as a result of your experience I'm preparing to export my latest GR gedcom to Ancestry where you can have as many trees as you like.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Any one had the problem of Genes Reunited removing relations from your tree?
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 09:25 BST (UK) »
I would suggest a paper back up, because sofware can't cope with dofgy relies anyway.

Here are some of the deceased relie problems, I've had

When his wife died one relie married his wife's sister.
When her husband died, a relie married her former father-in-law's grandson in the next county, then moved back to take over running the former father-in-law's pub when he died.
Two sisters, married two brothers.
When his wife died, one man married his late wife's half sister and his son married his new wife's niece.

Actually, for some time you've been able to show such relationships in a GR tree. It wasn't available at first, and so you had all these duplicating relatives, but now all my cousin marriages show, as well as the ones where brothers marry sisters and the man who wed his late wife's niece. This doesn't cause a display problem because GR only shows 3 generations at once - the featured person's parents, children and spouse. Unless you're studying the Pharoahs and their brother-sister marriages?

Ancestry has always had that facility, buit because they show more than 3 generations at once such relationship are not properly shown. It can be a pain sometimes on GR showing only 3, but alternatives such as the  "pedigree" "descendant" and "ancestors" layouts show more, for any person.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)