Author Topic: GRANGER family of Monkswearmouth  (Read 911 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GRANGER family of Monkswearmouth
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 May 21 19:37 BST (UK) »
That's great, Boo. It adds background and more qualitative info  to what we've found. I think Zetland Road is just south of Roker Avenue, which might suggest that he was trying to tell them where he lived.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 May 21 19:45 BST (UK) »
Its sad, but does give a greater insight than a death cert would :-)

I love it when a firkle pays off!

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 May 21 19:55 BST (UK) »
Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette 23 January 1895

page 4 col 2

DEATH FROM EXPOSURE

Yesterday Mr Maynard held an inquest at the Police Court, Houghton le Spring, touching the death of Henry Grainger, 59 years of age, who died at the workhouse, Houghton le Spring, on Sunday,
-- John Howe gave evidence as to finding deceased at the lime kilns. -- Sergt. Yeandle said that the man died soon after being admitted to the workhouse,. Deceased was in a vey exhausted condition when found. His clothing was saturated as though he had been exposed to the rain. -- A son of deceased identified the body as that of his father, who, he said, lived at Zetland-street, Monkwearmouth. He was apparently walking fron Durham, where he had been undergoing a term of imprisonment for non-payment of a School Board fine. -- The jury returned a verdict of "Death from exposure".

Boo

Offline TopHat62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 May 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
WOW you're all great detectives. So sad that Henry died like that.

I'm thinking that the Durham branch goes back further than I thought as I found James Simpson Sexton down as a brother and he was Hannah Sexton's illegitimate son born around 1822, in the workhouse in King's Lynn. So Henry Granger's half brother.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 May 21 20:32 BST (UK) »
Poor man and his family :'(

We lived half way between Durham and Sunderland when we first got married and the thought of walking all the way in the winter, probably without any food and wearing poor clothing, is so very awful.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 May 21 21:10 BST (UK) »
WOW you're all great detectives. So sad that Henry died like that.

I'm thinking that the Durham branch goes back further than I thought as I found James Simpson Sexton down as a brother and he was Hannah Sexton's illegitimate son born around 1822, in the workhouse in King's Lynn. So Henry Granger's half brother.

It 'is' sad, but we often find that the past just can't be judged from a present day perspective and have  to accept that things are what they are.
Pleased to have found such a detailled account for you. I assume his death cert would give you no more info than he died 'from exposure' but these newspaper reports add such a lot to the bare bones cause of death.

I have found, over the years, that there were a LOT of folk originally from Norfolk who settled in the Durham/ North East of England areas.
Best to keep an open mind about the number of people who settled a long way from their original birthplaces. See what the records turn up (and always, always, view original records where possible)

Boo

Offline TopHat62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 09 May 21 11:41 BST (UK) »
A premature death of child or adult, due to poverty, is still sad and still happens today. On my first day working at Lillywhites in London, a homeless man had died in the rear entrance way. Living in Canada, a friend told me that a homeless man had frostbite and died of exposure, near her apartment.

I'm very grateful to forum members to getting me off to such a great start. I think I need to check out the price for the British newspapers archive online. I might be able to find out if my great-grandfather really did slip beween mooring and boat, and get somewhat crushed, for example.

It's very good advice to try to go for original source as much as possible. At uni, I always searched for Flogett & Jones rather than quoting Floggett & Jones IN Perry & Maybe (all names fictitious).  I have found that censuses aren't always accurates for ages or names and that children can be baptised even 14  years after birth.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 09 May 21 15:33 BST (UK) »
They were living at 7 Zetland Street, Monkswearmouth Shore, Durham. Henry's occupation is listed as a tinship hole driller.

Hope you don't mind a minor correction  :) but his occupation in 1881 is iron ship driller and the family are living at 3 Zetland Street, not 7 (same as in the Jane's 1901 burial )

I see that in 1871 he's a 'driller in iron ship y[ar]d'.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk