Author Topic: OLGAR / AUGER - East Anglia / Norfolk  (Read 253 times)

Offline Andy May

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
OLGAR / AUGER - East Anglia / Norfolk
« on: Saturday 08 May 21 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Roots-Chatters !
I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light as to a possible date for this characterful pic, please .
I'm posting on behalf of a Facebook group, with the original contributors permission.

The rear of the photo says "Known as Billy and Sarah (Sally) Olgar" and is believed to be from Edgefield area of north Norfolk, near Holt. They're obviously a hardworking couple.

I'm guessing "late 19th century" but may be way off the mark ! They don't show up on any Census returns on a popular Ancestry Search site, altho' there is a William and Sarah Olgar , brother & sister aged 3 & 4, in Beccles (south Norfolk) in 1881 census. Assuming this couple are at least 50 in this photo (altho' Sarah looks considerably older and the age difference seems greater), that would date this pic at late-1920s to early 30s ? ?

Thanks in antic'
Andy :0)

* * UPDATE. information from an Edgefield resident. It could be that their names are James and Sarah AUGER and the photo taken around 1920. I have found people of the this name in their late 40’s in the 1911 census living in Wisbech and he is listed as a General Farm Labourer, so this could be who these two are * *
Norfolk , Berks , London , Cheshire , Dorset

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: OLGAR - East Anglia / Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 May 21 15:16 BST (UK) »
Do not know the dates but is that the normal way round for a sickle?