Author Topic: Would men stationed in India in the late 1800s travel back to England sometimes?  (Read 684 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Thank you groom. That seems to be the scenario that things are pointing towards.

I have a supplementary question. Looking at the medical record, there are some dates that signify particular postings. Unfortunately in all but one instance the actual place is illegible.

However under these dates there are three digit numbers. I was wondering if anyone could shed light on what the significance of those might mean.

For example, Ralph was stationed somewhere beginning with H, possibly in India from 3rd April 1887. Underneath that it says '231'.

He was then stationed in Naini Tal, India, from 28 March 1889. Underneath that it says '147'.

As far as I am aware this is not related to his service number which was 1345.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Possibility for Stanwick:

Given Name(s):   Stantwin
Surname:   HARWOOD
Year of Arrival:   1891
Ship:   SARNIA
Date of Departure:   1891-03-19
Port of Departure:   Liverpool
Date of Arrival:   1891-03-29
Port of Arrival:   Halifax
Destination:   Belleville, Ontario

per. https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/immigration-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=32407
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
My uncle by marriage joined the army in 1906 (a decade later) and was stationed in India and Singapore, from what he said in conversation over 50 years ago he certainly returned to England on leave at least once. Admittedly this is slightly later, but I would be surprised if things had changed in a decade.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Thank you scotmum and Redroger.

:)
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*