Author Topic: Diary Saturday 8th May  (Read 562 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary Saturday 8th May
« on: Sunday 09 May 21 08:57 BST (UK) »
Felt a bit rubbish all day, partly because I woke at 4.30am, couldn't get back to sleep so read for some time and finally went off again for a while at about 6.30. Not enough sleep for me. Also I'd eaten an extra square or two of chocolate on Friday, still only a small quantity but I should know better, it just doesn't agree with me. Also had a slight twinge in my back for some unknown reason. It was also pouring down all morning and early afternoon, that doesn't help.

When it was clearing out I went for a walk, I wasn't really enjoying it. Took my friend's birthday present and card round for her, it was good to have a chat with her. Did very little with the rest of the day, felt tired and couldn't be bothered. Early bath and bed.

Better today.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Saturday 8th May
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 21 11:30 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, not a good day for you Roobarb. I don't think the weather helps, and lack of sleep is just awful. I'm not a great sleeper. No matter how little sleep I have had and how tired I feel I just can't go to bed early the next night. I'm definitely a night owl who rarely hits the sack before midnight, if I do I feel worse the next day  :o
My day wasn't much better, certainly nothing 'to write home about.' It rained constantly until about 6pm so Bob the dog had a late walk which he wasn't to impressed about. I can't really recall what I did all day it was that boring. OH was working, stuck in the house all day due to the rain with a dog who was miserable wasn't the greatest of fun. Frankly I was glad to go to bed and call time on the day. But today is another day. The sun is shining, the temperature is forecast to reach the dizzy heights of 14 degrees and we have arranged to meet friends later at the pub. Onwards and upwards!
Jo  :)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 21 12:02 BST (UK) »
Yesterday took us another step along the road of the mourning process for Nick. It was Jane's (OH) birthday and Mark came down from London to help clear Nick's room, which of late had become the household dumping ground. We needed it cleared for redecoration so that the family could once again visit. But where to start? We decided to blitz. Mini skip delivered and Mark and I set to (mainly Mark):Bed, mattress, carpet to the skip. Other more redeemable bits and pieces in boxes to the loft.

Then at 10 am we joined a Zoom Birthday Trivia Quiz for Jane organised by Andrew's wife Celine down there in Australia (nearly bedtime for the grand-children). And so for the next hour we played it through, including all the grandchildren. Celine had made up a series of questions and statements which required answers to True or False, or specific significant dates or happenings, or characteristics of Jane . (for example  true or false...Jane astounds the grandchildren by eating 99.99% of meals with a knife and fork- even Pizzas).
They were each linked to a photo and set up using a Power Point Presentation format--- some of the photos actually bore little relevance to the question, but heigh ho! it was fun. It took an hour to get through with the questions and subsequent answers and adding up the scores. Everyone was a winner- we all know Jane so well!
It really was quite hilarious. And so back to the clearing and sorting.
The whole day quite cathartic for all of us and of course today (Sunday) it is Mother's' Day (again) and the birthday celebrations took on a second but equally important meaning for the good lady.
A very emotional day but also one of joy and thanksgiving, full of lasting memories of the family and especially Nick.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 May 21 12:24 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, it sounds like you’ve both been a bit out of sorts. Miserable weather and lack of sleep will do that every time. I’m  like you Jo - despite being tired I usually don’t get to bed before midnight, and if I do I can’t sleep. Next door’s rooster crows every morning before dawn which doesn’t help. Given half a chance I would throttle the stupid thing. Dogs do get very indignant and sulky if they don’t get their walks on time. Mine sits and stares at me at 4:20 every afternoon.  ::)

I did some shopping on Saturday. I generally avoid shopping centres on the weekends due to the crowds. I won’t be rushing to go again - it was heaving. Lots of them had tattoos with words which were disappointingly illegible. I was hoping to be uplifted by reading a philosophical inspirational phrase or two whilst waiting in the checkout queues. Alas, I couldn’t make head nor tail of any of them. Bought some groceries and some bed sheets. In the evening watched one of those Ambulance TV shows filmed in the North West.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 May 21 13:06 BST (UK) »
My normal lights out time is usually after midnight but last night I just couldn't stay awake. You have made me laugh Jo and Ruskie at the thought of one dog sulking and another staring.  ;D

Great for you to be able to meet your friends at the pub Jo, hope you have a good time.
I'm picturing you in the checkout queue Ruskie, with your head on one side trying to read someone's arm.  :D

A poignant time for you Jeff, not an easy task clearing a loved one's things. As you say, it's a step in the grieving process and it will be nice for family to be able to visit. Good to hear that it brought you some joy too and happy memories.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 May 21 13:54 BST (UK) »
As I was posting earlier I saw the red warning but when my post appeared there were no other replies. Odd.

Now I see that it was your post Jeff. It must be such a hard time for you clearing out Nick's things but it must have helped a lot to have Mark on hand for emotional support and to help with the work. So nice that you were able to lighten the mood with your Zoom Quiz.

Thinking about it Roobarb, I often notice your little light on when all others have "left the building" so you must be a night owl too.

The tattoo I was most curious to read was on the back of a girl's leg. Not very well placed I don't think - it wrapped a bit too far around the inside of the leg. The writing was surrounded by some roses, but I couldn't manage to decipher even one word of it.

I forgot to mention that we saw the labradoodle on Saturday as we passed his house. He was very pleased to see us. We managed to give him a bit of a pat through the fence palings. He'd been to the groomer! He'd had bath and a nice new haircut (short back and sides). Funny friendly thing. My dog went barking mad at him, and was very/too excited.

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 May 21 14:06 BST (UK) »
I had to smile at your comment about your dog staring at you Ruskie, mine does that to. It's almost as though they can tell the time and know when they should be going for a walk. I'm sure my dog thinks it won't be raining on the canal even though it is in the back garden. It got to 1pm yesterday and he started following me around and glaring at me as if to say' why aren't you taking me for a walk.' I even opened the french windows to prove it was raining and I wasn't neglecting him,  the only effect that had was to soak the floor!
Hello Jeff, what an emotional day for you. Never an easy task clearing out loved ones things. I send you my best wishes.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 May 21 14:24 BST (UK) »
If I try to ignore my dog, she edges closer and closer. If I ignore her long enough she "humphs" down on the floor, and gives me a filthy look. Yes they can tell the time. Yes they can read minds.  ;D

No they don't mind getting soaking wet on a walk, though the sniffing is reduced because all the good smells have been washed off. ::) Silly things.