Author Topic: what's so special about India?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: what's so special about India?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 May 21 22:34 BST (UK) »
I think we can agree to disagree.  I have lived in small towns, cities, and the remote north, and never experienced anything to complain about.  Neither have many people I have known.  I agree there are problems, but since we are amongst the healthiest people on Earth, I count myself lucky.
I would not wish, for millions, to have a politician’s job during the pandemic.  Unfortunately it has shown that some are woefully inadequate, sadly.  Most of them have had no experience handling anything on this scale, but “maybe” they have learned something.  We can exercise our right to vote.
And I have no problem giving up a few rights if it is for the greater good. 

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 May 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
I don't know why people are getting so worked up about the situation in India.

India have been claiming differences to the virus itself and other information, for several weeks.

Scientists and Sequencers will usually check this out and if or how it may affect their citizens in their respective countries.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56844925

Take care, Mark

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 09:37 BST (UK) »
I don't know why people are getting so worked up about the situation in India.
Since the pandemic began the country has reported 174 deaths per million,
which is fewer than die from all causes in five days.
Many countries -- including the UK -- have recorded ten times as many.

I believe the reason why we are getting "so worked up about the situation in India" is because of the absolute number of lives being lost. It's not a case of looking at "deaths per million", it's a case of looking at deaths. Compassion for humanity, our fellow brothers and sisters in this grieving world.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
For some months now it has seemed as if some journalists and politicians have been seeking out bad news stories from other countries to try to keep the fear going in the UK. The numbers in India, which has a population approaching 1.5 billion, are relatively low and are now falling fairly rapidly. Over 175 million doses of vaccine have already been administered in India so I would expect the politicians/media to try to find somewhere else to scare us with - not easy as the falling number of Covid cases worldwide suggest that this infection is burning itself out.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 15:22 BST (UK) »
For some months now it has seemed as if some journalists and politicians have been seeking out bad news stories from other countries to try to keep the fear going in the UK. The numbers in India, which has a population approaching 1.5 billion, are relatively low and are now falling fairly rapidly. Over 175 million doses of vaccine have already been administered in India so I would expect the politicians/media to try to find somewhere else to scare us with - not easy as the falling number of Covid cases worldwide suggest that this infection is burning itself out.

The same thing happened here in Canada when international press (and ours) described our recent spike as though we had reached the same levels as the U.S.  This was distorted - we may been on the upturn when they were coming down, but our numbers are no where near proportionally that of the U.S., per population. 
We have now banned, or at least temporarily banned, AstraSeneca, which is the one I got just over three weeks ago.  Apparently the fear of clots only lasts four weeks.  Guess I will be getting something else for my second shot, which will be in August.
Problem here is that we don't manufacture any of them, so have to depend on other countries.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 16:15 BST (UK) »

Utter nonsense. This pandemic has a long way to go yet. Look at these graphs and see if it is "burning itself out". As for politicians and media trying to find something else to scare us with, that's the sort of nonsense trotted out by COVID deniers and conspiracy theorists.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry Mike but it is not utter nonsense and you are clearly choosing to ignore the reality of the easily ascertainable worldwide figures. With over 60% of UK adults vaccinated we need to ditch the paranoia so sadly evident in some quarters and get back to normality and indeed reality. I struggle to understand why some people who have had a double dose of the vaccine in this country are still scared to go near other people and what on earth do they think they are protecting themselves from by wearing a mask? Politicians and some sections of the media have sought to indoctrinate the populace with a fear of Covid which is disproportionate to the threat it poses.

Incidentally I do not appreciate your belief that someone who does not agree with you is a "Covid denier and conspiracy theorist" Such ad hominem attacks are inconsistent with reasoned discussion and an open mind.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 16:35 BST (UK) »

Incidentally I do not appreciate your belief that someone who does not agree with you is a "Covid denier and conspiracy theorist" Such ad hominem attacks are inconsistent with reasoned discussion and an open mind.

I deliberately did not suggest that you were either a COVID denier or a conspiracy theorist, just that the language you used was the same as used by those people.

Did you look at the graphs? If so, did it appear to you that the disease is burning itself out?

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 17:09 BST (UK) »
"we need to ditch the paranoia"

Sort of a "I got mine so let's pull up the ladder and the hell with the rest" approach.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis