Author Topic: Johanna Pepper married to Robert Dunn Johnston  (Read 1249 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna Pepper married to Robert Dunn Johnston
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 May 21 09:16 BST (UK) »
I mentioned at post #3 there were step children on the 1881 Census. Surnames were Irvine and Livingstone.
It's not unknown for grandparents to take an illegitimate child of an offspring as their "own" and this did cross my mind re. Johanna. She appears to be the last born from Census details.
There is an Airth birth registration of a "Joan Irvine, 1884". You may want to check what happened to this child to rule her out of the equation?

Offline Hootsman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 May 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much, some of the info I already have, however Lu, you have given me the confirmation that Johanna was born in Scotland and that is exactly what I needed. What caused my uncertainty if I have been following the wrong person was the ships arrival data for Johanna which stated she was English and her age at this time was 26. She should have been Scottish and 22 years old, and further when I checked the birth records for a Johanna Pepper born in England and 26 years old, I found a birth that matched this. So now I am elated that Johanna's death record confirms she was born in Scotland.
I thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards,

John
Jackson, Somerville, Pepper, Livingstone, McCormick, Juggins, Shucksmith, Robinson

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hello John

Glad the information was of help.
Yes, that was certainly strange, your Johanna's details on the New Zealand Immigration list matching those of her English namesake.     I looked at the shipping line's passenger list and it (surprisingly) didn't show any ages for passengers, though did have Johanna recorded as "English".

I had meant earlier to also to add the burial details for Johanna's husband (now that it's established he was not Robert Dunn Johnston).

As previously > Purewa Cemetery, Auckland, NZ > he shares a plot with Johanna.

Robert JOHNSTON
70 years [bc 1882]
Birthplace :   Ireland
Burial date :   5 June 1952
Last Address :   10 Lillington Road
Relative Info :   Mrs Johanna JOHNSTON (wife)
Address - as above
____ / / ____

~  Lu

Offline Hootsman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 15:06 BST (UK) »
Once again everyone,

Many thanks for all your help. I am more than happy with the information provided by you and have deleted the info on Robert Dunn Johnston as he is not the correct husband of Johanna Pepper.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Stay safe and Kind Regards,

John
Jackson, Somerville, Pepper, Livingstone, McCormick, Juggins, Shucksmith, Robinson

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 17:39 BST (UK) »
Carluke & Lanark Gazette

29 October 1926
On Friday morning last, about 9.50, James Pepper, 80, retired fisherman, passed away suddenly at Tinto View, Kilncadzow, where he resided with a married daughter. It appears that deceased, who had been in failing health for some time, went to the rear of the house, and on his failing to return his daughter, Mrs Jackson, sent her son to see what was keeping his grandfather. Failing to see him the mother and son later found deceased lying on the floor of an outhouse. Dr M'Lean was called in, and after examining the body, declared the death to be due to natural causes.

31 December 1926
Obituaries for 1926 - October 22, James Pepper, Kilncadzow, age 79

Marriage Registration (Scotland's People)
Marion T Pepper & John Jackson, Blythswood, 1908