Author Topic: Software for strays  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Mad01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Software for strays
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 May 21 15:55 BST (UK) »
Well Zaph, it could be all of the above but MI is for Monumental Inscriptions. It's what's written on gravestones.

All professions, hobbies, trades, texts etc all have their abbreviations, we're just the same ;D

Ann

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 May 21 12:15 BST (UK) »
Cleared up now, thanks.

Zaph

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 May 21 13:28 BST (UK) »
Sometimes a database approach is not the right one. Years ago, I thought that I would have a look at various database products to get an idea of how they operated. dBaseII was one of them; that will inform some of how long ago this was.

Obviously I needed some ready-made data to populate test databases. I managed to get hold of a list of place names and their STD telephone prefix codes. Over 4300 entries, so a sensible number to test on the computer hardware to hand at the time.

The fastest lookup was by software included in MS-DOS. A simple batch file, running the FIND program. Even with everything on floppy disks, it returned results of a full text search of the plain text file in less than two seconds.

Comparing that with packages which took many seconds to load before they would even accept a request, guess why that batch file has been in use ever since!  :) :)
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.