Author Topic: Huguenot families in Rye  (Read 557 times)

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huguenot families in Rye
« on: Sunday 09 May 21 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am unable to visit Sussex archives and was wondering whether somebody has access to parish registers for Rye?

I am looking for Huguenot baptisms and burials in Rye between 1568-1580s and am struggling to find what I am looking for in transcriptions for Rye parish church (St Mary). My ancestor William (Guillaume) Boucherett came to Rye in 1568 with a wife (unsure of her name) and probably two sons. He died in Rye in 1580 (will dated 22.6.1580, went to probate 21.7.1580), but I would like to find his burial, which presumably took place in Rye. In most records he is Guillaume and in his will William, both first and surname have the usual colourful 16th century spelling variations.
William's will also mentions his 4th son Gedeon (my ancestor), who definitively was born in England and since William stayed in Rye until making his will (and thus probably death) I assume Gedeon was born in Rye. I cannot though find his baptism amongst the transcripts for the parish church, is anybody able to find him?
The family seem to have still been in Rye in 1589 and I was also hoping to find William's widow's burial (she outlived him, but is not recorded in his will by name), her name may possibly have been Joanne (but am not certain).
Thank you for any help

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenot families in Rye
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 May 21 22:10 BST (UK) »
There is a burial in Rye for a William Burcher/Bucher on 24th June 1580 which would fit with the dates you give and the name is close in terms of sound.  The register specifically state that William was a French man. 

You can browse the register online on FamilySearch - sign up for a free account.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk