Author Topic: Shamrock Lodging house exact address  (Read 941 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shamrock Lodging house exact address
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 May 21 12:19 BST (UK) »
There is a person called Walsh connected with a building which also contains 'Shamrock Oil' in Lower Gardiner Street in the 40s, which may be a coincidence.

1940s/50s, the address for ‘Shamrock Petrol Ltd’ is 43 Lower Gardiner Street according to newspaper snippets
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 May 21 12:23 BST (UK) »
No, I meant the vagrant found in Drogheda who claimed to be 'John Byrne from Shamrock Lodging House' was making up a name.

8 Lower Sean MacDermott Street (previously Gloucester St) was occupied by a Mrs. Morgan in Thom's 1941. No indication as to what business, if any.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 May 21 12:52 BST (UK) »
Oh I do apologise.
 I am mixing Gloucester and Gardiner street up  ::)
You must have wondered what I was talking about.  :)

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 May 21 18:25 BST (UK) »
Ok folks again thank you so much for your time and effort, think we are making progress.

The mention in the previous posts of the surname Walsh and Morgan is relevant.
Francis/Frances was born 1898 as Francis 'Morgan'
in 1923 she married Richard Walsh from Hutton lane (next to Gardiner St/Summerhill)

Francis was on the 1911 census with her widowed mother Mary F Morgan at 8 lower Gloucester St (now Sean Mc Dermott St) with her children Kathleen 10, Francis 12, William 8, Michael 12..(think there was also another daughter who was living around the corner at number 30 Portland row, who I found had married the following year 1912...this was through her marriage cert when she stated she was the daughter of Samuel Morgan who was Mary Francis late husband.)

regs the Shamrock 'Hotel'  family rumour had it as been run by Francis in the 1940s/50s and that it had a 'reputation', so any snippets from newspaper archives would not be a surprise,in fact it would confirm the old stories?

So it is possible that number 8 Lwr Gloucester st was also known as the 'Shamrock lodge'?
And as the history of the Monto and its infamy regs Brothels and Kip houses, Sheebeen's etc , it is possible that the number 8 Lwr Gloucester st 'business' may have transfered to Gardiner St when the Legion of Mary closed down many of these establishments in the 1920s?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 May 21 18:48 BST (UK) »
That’s interesting that we had that address after all.

I posted this earlier:
“ There is a newspaper snippet - 27th October 1920
Ex Soldier Arrest
Taken from Lodging House in Lower Gloucester St ... the Shamrock registered lodging ‘boon’  8, Lower Gloucester Street”

I can’t think what ‘boon’ should be - unless it is house badly read by the ocr.

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 May 21 20:03 BST (UK) »
That’s interesting that we had that address after all.

I posted this earlier:
“ There is a newspaper snippet - 27th October 1920
Ex Soldier Arrest
Taken from Lodging House in Lower Gloucester St ... the Shamrock registered lodging ‘boon’  8, Lower Gloucester Street”

I can’t think what ‘boon’ should be - unless it is house badly read by the ocr.

with the help of Google, it seems that 'boon' is a term for an 'improvement' of sorts.

I think number 8 would have been opposite to where the 'Magdelene convent/laundry is located, know there were several very cheap lodging houses on Sean Mc Dermott St during the era, I recall reading that when the poet Patrick Kavanagh first arrived in Dublin he stayed in a very rough but cheap lodging house there.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 00:20 BST (UK) »
Number 8 would have been in that stretch that is now a park at the corner of Gardiner St and Sean McDermott St. - across from what are called Gardiner St. flats. Not far at all from the Magdalen on the other side of the street.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
Number 8 would have been in that stretch that is now a park at the corner of Gardiner St and Sean McDermott St. - across from what are called Gardiner St. flats. Not far at all from the Magdalen on the other side of the street.

would I be right in presuming that if that is/was the case, then no8 would have been on the left-hand side heading towards O'Connell St?

I ask because im familiar with the area, and on the right-hand side heading towards the city centre that you refer to and which now have the park and on the corner an infant school, before these were developed in the late 1980s early 90s,the stretch would have been Corporation tenement houses,(none privately owned in the 1940s)
That been the case, I think on the opposite side there would have been 'private' houses, the stretch you refer to run from the Gloucester Diamond to Gardiner st, further down on same side heading towards the 5 Lamps would have been the 'old tin church' (replaced by Our Lady of Lourdes church) and then a row of houses which would have included 'the carpenters hall' as it was known and that would have been opposite the magdelene laundry.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 23:44 BST (UK) »
I believe it would have been on the right hand side as you headed to O'Connell Street.
Thom's from 1934 has numbers 1-7 as tenements but numbers 8 to 11, where Gloucester place starts as in private hands. Mrs. Morgan was at number 8 in 1934 too.

This photo shows the stretch in much later years.