Author Topic: Help with deciphering a situation in a newspaper clipping!  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Anthony Beacock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help with deciphering a situation in a newspaper clipping!
« on: Sunday 09 May 21 19:38 BST (UK) »
Good evening everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me decipher exactly what this newspaper clipping means, please? I am a little confused about the whole situation!

It was posted on 17th April 1863 in the Stamford Mercury newspaper.

Thank you very much in advance!
Kind Regards,
Tony.

P.S. Thomas Lovett Beacock was my 3x great grandfather, and Gilbert Burton Handson was his step father. (note the old term of "son-in-law" to show this relation).
East Yorkshire - Beacock, Hunter, Baxter, Kirby, Smith, House, Wright, Thompson, Hall, Capon, Ellarby, Semper, Smith, Gibson, Pannitt, Bassett.
Lincolnshire - Beacock, Carline, Robinson, Markham, England, Dovehill, Teste, Reder, Harum.
Hampshire - Cook, House, Mintram, Taylor, Orman, Brumfield, Skews, West, Lancaster, Young, Tribbeck, Pearce, Prince, Wrixon.
Scotland - Scarth.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering a situation in a newspaper clipping!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 21 22:13 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the entries in the London Gazette about Gilbert Handson?
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/notice?service=all-notices&text=gilbert+handson

He is a bankrupt.
It sounds from the clipping that his 'son in law' has made a claim on his estate, but Gilbert owes a lot of money, (215 pounds 2 shillings and 5 pence).
The use of the pronoun 'he' in the phrase 'which he had received', makes it a bit confusing. Which 'he' is it referring to?
Had Gilbert received the services of Thomas?, or had Thomas received his pay out?
I think the claim by Thomas is being referred to the judge to see if it can be paid. Looks unlikely if Gilbert has 'doubtful' assets.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Anthony Beacock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering a situation in a newspaper clipping!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 21 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those, I hadn't seen them before!

Yes, it's confusing and being tired doesn't help haha.

Well, Thomas was also a butcher and I believe he was working for Gilbert. I guess Thomas had been working, but not recieving any payment for it? 
East Yorkshire - Beacock, Hunter, Baxter, Kirby, Smith, House, Wright, Thompson, Hall, Capon, Ellarby, Semper, Smith, Gibson, Pannitt, Bassett.
Lincolnshire - Beacock, Carline, Robinson, Markham, England, Dovehill, Teste, Reder, Harum.
Hampshire - Cook, House, Mintram, Taylor, Orman, Brumfield, Skews, West, Lancaster, Young, Tribbeck, Pearce, Prince, Wrixon.
Scotland - Scarth.