Author Topic: Diary Sunday 9th May  (Read 1292 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary Sunday 9th May
« on: Sunday 09 May 21 23:14 BST (UK) »
Woke up early as a result of my earlier night last night, felt much better. Out for a walk earlier too, enjoyed it much more than yesterday. Set off wearing a t-shirt and light jacket, soon had the jacket tied round my waist, it was really warm out. Passed a woman in the woods, she was walking a labradoodle, saw her again on the walkway. I'm sure it was the same dog as the one I saw recently with a man as the dog did the same thing, kept stopping and looking back at me. The woman said he always wants to make friends with people, that he wanted to go with me. He was so cute and wasn't going to give up without me petting him, was pulling on the lead. Of course I couldn't resist him, he was absolutely gorgeous, I could have gladly taken him home.

Tesco delivery was half an hour early again, put it all away and had some lunch then into the garden. I got quite a lot done, moving plants around, taking cuttings, weeding. I needed a break and a cuppa, got my chair and Kindle out, that snookered it, the sun went in. Did a bit more gardening then went indoors. Good timing, a friend phoned for a chat,  I thought afterwards how often our conversations turn to places we've been to abroad, perhaps because we miss the freedom of being able to do that. The government has been adding more places to its green list, it will be interesting to see how foreign travel affects the infection rate both here and in those countries.

Usual evening, couldn't settle to watching anything on TV,  I looked through lots of programmes I'd recorded, watched one but wasn't concentrating. Back to my book, I downloaded it in 2013 and just got round to reading it, it's really good.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Sunday 9th May
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 21 23:47 BST (UK) »
Second son phoned, he and his wife have to isolate for three days until a test kit arrives,not sure of the contact who now has Covid 19.
Son works at home ,she somewhere near them,Berkshire.
They had friends ,just two ,in the garden last weekend ,all spread out as he had to buy another garden umbrella so they could stay well away from each other.
Can’t remember exactly what he said .
Number one son’s W.A tomorrow, I got them a Captain Sir Tom Rose, a few weeks back and it is shooting nicely.
I included a bottle of wine in my shop so they have that too.

Quite bright today, but still cold and lashing rain most of the night .
Plants are not coming on as they should be doing but it is so cold and of course Frost!

I have lost something, just a round stainless steel cake plate ,with a textured
finish so cakes don’t stick.It has a cake server to match.
My next but one neighbour bought it for us when it was our 25thAnniversary .
That is almost 40 years ago.
What I have done with it I can’t think ,had it not long ago.
It is not where I normally keep it .
The only explanation might be that I took a home bake to Church, coffee morning but that would be well before first lockdown and I am sure I have had it since .Ransacked the  kitchen, no .!posh pots,no!unlikely places ,no!
My ex neighbour is dead now, for a good few years and I still miss her .
I could tell her things and know they would not be repeated .
She had our keys ,for feeding the cat when we went away ,he had his flap so could cuddle down indoors in his bed .
I could and did trust her completely.
I have altered clothes for the family ,,made their celebration cakes ,planted a little garden for their Golden Wedding and her husband worked at a furnishing fabric factory,maintenance engineer ,he could get me material at staff discount so all our curtains came from there ,and loose covers I made .
They made us welcome the minute we arrived ,she and I
laughed together as  my  piano went rolling down the steep road when the removal men were unpacking .
Laurel and Hardy had nothing on us that day.
She had a lovely “ Up the Valley “ accent - Rossendale  Valley.

Well must phone son and d in law tomorrow.
Cheerio everyone.Sorry there is no real news .
Viktoria.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 21 23:57 BST (UK) »
Sounds like the labradoodle has taken a real shine to you and you to it! Good to get out in the sunshine too...

How lovely to get up this morning to warmth and sunshine ... after yesterday’s miserable day... which is why I didn’t write on yesterday’s diary as nothing of any consequence happened!.... the Sunday papers as usual but all about the elections very boring! In fact not much of any interest even in the magazines... good job our daughter FaceTimed us and we had a lovely chat with the boys... they’re so confident using it and showing us everything they’ve been up to... can be a whirlwind tour with J the youngest and you get left feeling a bit quezzy when he wizzes it round! New book cases up the their bedroom so just pictures and of course the curtains!.... SiL had his first jab yesterday and not feeling any side effects...
Had some lunch and OH went off to play golf...
I walked down to the postbox and posted the cards I’d made yesterday then dropped off the lottery money... called on a few more people and signed up another couple...
Called on one elderly couple to collect their subs to save them having to come up to me and popped to a friends to collect hers too... had long conversation on the doorstep with her... so nice to get out and about and catch up with people...
On my return I finished off the paperwork and discovered one of my latest recruits had chosen a number already used by another person that I’d forgotten to scrub out so going to have to contact her!
Phoned a friend I’d not spoken to for a while and we had a good old natter... think I probably did too much talking... must try harder next time not to!...
Had to dash out get washing in as sky turned dark and started to rain...
OH got back just after 8pm and we just had spaghetti...
Watched some tv... not very inspiring tonight... new series with Lily James one of Nancy Mitford books... drivel really!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 May 21 00:59 BST (UK) »
I heard that the UK had resumed International travel - thought it seemed a bit early - but it makes a bit more sense if “zones” are in place. We’ve had restrictions for those flying from hot spots abroad most recently India, but people find a way round that by travelling from infected country via a second country and then to their destination. Our govt put measures in place to prevent that this time. I can see destinations opening up here but I think/hope that hotel or similar quarantine will be in place for some time.

Your local labradoodle sounds gorgeous! It always gives me a lift and makes me smile to interact with a lovely doggie. People are always very proud of their pooches so when a stranger wants to steal a pat and the dog wants to be patted it’s a win win win situation where everyone is happy.  :)

It was Mother’s Day here. Had daughter and partner and other daughter’s partner over for lunch. Other daughter wasn’t well so didn’t come. No presents as per my request.  ;)

Watched “MasterChef” - it’s the same every year so I don’t know why I bother - a bit of light hearted nonsense.

Added: it’s taken me so long to compare this reply with many distractions, that there have been other posts on this thread, which I will go back and read.  :)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 May 21 01:05 BST (UK) »
Good to read everyone’s news.
Still cold here this morning, frost on the grass.  Will warm up mid week, to 17 they say.
It was Mother’s Day and my daughters called me at 9, they were at one of their houses.  We had a good chat, almost an hour, and I opened the box.  Crafty/graphic designer daughter had made me a lovely pouch with very fashionable bird fabric, it has a clear plastic front and zipper top. She sews beautifully, whatever she makes is perfect (unlike me!).  Am not sure what I will use it for, yet.  Second daughter gave me a World of Shakespeare puzzle, British product, has a poster which explains everything in the scene, which is London in Shakespeare time, including the Globe. Love it.  She got the Jane Austen one for herself, being a devotee of JA.  She also included 5 Charles Wysocki puzzles “on loan” so we are all set for months. 
Had a good chat with my son, later in the morning.  His news was that his place of work is closing down, but he can transfer to a larger operation with more pay.  His commute is 25 minutes and now it will be 35 in another direction.  He can sign up for his vaccine now, as he cannot work from home.
My daughters will have to wait another week or so.
Quiet day generally, I woke up at 3:45 and could not get back to sleep.  The dog, sensitive soul that he is, only cuddles up if I’ve had an unsettling dream, which I had.  I was on one edge of the bed, perhaps that didn’t help getting back to sleep!  I’ve been reading about all of you staying up late, I used to be a night owl, but haven’t been able to stay up late for years. I am generally asleep around 9:30 and awake around 5.  I wish I could change it to at least an hour or later, but if I do, the insomnia rears it’s ugly head.
We played cribbage again, I won both, by 22 points and then by just 2.  We have kept the same score book for over 10 years, I have definitely been the winner over the past year, but OH used to win much more in the past.
Not much else going on, we just watched The Queens of Mystery, typical confusing cosy, but the opening graphics are wonderful.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 May 21 01:12 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, we cross-posted!  I agree the best way to make a pet owner happy is to praise their dog or cat! 
An endearing (to me) habit my dog has is the way he eats.  He is given hard food, kibble, we just fill it up as needed, as he does not overeat.  He starts at one side of the bowl and methodically works his way across the bowl.  If he has eaten half, there is a perfect half circle of food left.  He has never varied since we’ve had him.  He also gets some dental kibble mixed in which he picks out first as it is tastier, I guess.  I wonder if anyone else has had a dog that eats that way?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 May 21 01:54 BST (UK) »
Your cake plate will probably turn up one day in an unexpected place when you are looking for something else Viktoria.  :)

What a sociable Sunday you had Caroline. Good to hear that your SiL hasn’t had any ill effects. It’s amazing how differently people react, or not, to the jab. It’s probably the same with all vaccinations, but this one has been so closely monitored and I think some people are looking for things to go wrong. We still continue to get reports of more blood clots or other nasty side effects in people after they have had the covid vaccination. So far I recall only one saying it looks to have been related to the covid jab. The others are under investigation, which usually means we never find out unfortunately.

Your presents sound lovely Diana - very thoughtful. Good news that your son has continued employment. Are you saying that you were on the edge of your bed because the dog was in bed with you?  ;D

What an interesting method of eating he has. They all have their funny little habits and ways but I’ve never known a dog to eat like that. Mind you I’ve never known a dog who doesn’t eat their dinner all in one go.  ;D

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 May 21 02:17 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, I was sleeping on one side and he got behind my back, and that was that, I did shift eventually! Usually he keeps his distance or sleeps in his own bed. He will almost always only eat if one of us is in the kitchen or in the living room nearby.  If we go out for a few hours he will go straight to his bowl after greeting us and tuck right in.  Very strange!

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 May 21 08:36 BST (UK) »
I hope you find your cake plate Viktoria, especially since it has so many happy memories attached to it.

Caroline, well done on signing up the new people for the lottery, a great way for you get out and about and chat to people and to see your friend too, sounds like a very satisfying day.

Ruskie and Diana, happy belated Mothers' Day. Lovely thoughtful presents from your daughters. Good to hear that your son will be getting his vaccination soon. Can't imagine what it's like getting up at 5am, the only times I've been up that early have been to go to the airport. In the olden days!

Ruskie, the lifting of the travel restrictions is from next Monday, the 17th. Can't say I'd want to be one of the first to try it out, will see how things are as it goes on. Like you, I read about people getting around the quarantine rules, the article I read was about people travelling to Turkey and quarantining there as it's so much cheaper than in the UK. I suppose at least they've done their quarantine.
I did leave a bit of my heart with that little dog, he was just so cute, I could hardly tear myself away and he wasn't making a move to go!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales