Author Topic: Cant find 1949 stillbirth in GRO births or deaths.  (Read 1335 times)

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Cant find 1949 stillbirth in GRO births or deaths.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 May 21 13:56 BST (UK) »
The key phrase in the legislation is "where possible". My experience as a registrar is that recorded causes of stillbirth are generally vague at best and often not given at all. I've attached a copy of the relevant section of a "medical certificate of stillbirth" (completed by a midwife in 2011) as an example of what might often be received.

The exception is when the coroner has been involved, in which case there may a PM carried out and a more detailed cause recorded.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 May 21 23:31 BST (UK) »
Interesting information, thanks.  I was thinking there could be some medical information on the certifcate itself, or armed with information from the certificate we might be able to find it in other places. But it would be interesting anyway to find out as much as we can, if only the baby's name.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 08:00 BST (UK) »
Historically, Stillbirth certificates don't have forenames for the deceased child.
That changed at some point (fairly recently), when it became possible to enter a name.

I only know my mum's twin sister's name, because she was talked about in the family.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 12:05 BST (UK) »
Historically, Stillbirth certificates don't have forenames for the deceased child.
That changed at some point (fairly recently), when it became possible to enter a name.

I only know my mum's twin sister's name, because she was talked about in the family.

Did it show a sex, or just child of John and Jane Smith (eg) ?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 12:21 BST (UK) »
There is just a possibility that you may find a burial record for the child.  I did find a few the latest date being 1900, of some children that I thought were stillbirths.

The record had the surname, followed by: (SBC Of), which I took to mean still born child.

I don't know if there was a burial for the child that you are interested in.  The only way to check would be to search burial records for 1949/50 in whatever area the still birth occurred.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 15:51 BST (UK) »

Did it show a sex, or just child of John and Jane Smith (eg) ?

Column 2 shows the sex of the child.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)