Author Topic: Preparatory School/Kindergarten  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Preparatory School/Kindergarten
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 May 21 08:27 BST (UK) »
I thought I would have a look at the 1939 register to see what popped up.

I have found a Douglas G Morris born 1897, technical photographer living in Coleshill Road, Castle Bromwich.

Could he be the man who did the school photo?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline lavitaebella84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 May 21 21:03 BST (UK) »
Maybe she meant Gothic House....Are you from Birmingham, the accent might have something to do with it?? Not being rude..

Check this in case it's no longer a school

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/property/your-chance-converted-victorian-school-12264251

Online Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 May 21 10:14 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the OP recalls the school being near Hodge Hill Common. I had a look at Castle Bromwich on Wikipedia (as you do  ;D). It says that a large house once stood between Chipperfield Road (that's off Coleshill Road) and Hodge Common. Could that have been the school. Now it's a grassed over corner position with flats set back. I wonder how many pupils the school had.

We moved to the area when I was a child in 1956/7, and I went to The Firs school for a short time until we moved again. I am just so curious as to the location of the school!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 May 21 11:27 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the OP recalls the school being near Hodge Hill Common. I had a look at Castle Bromwich on Wikipedia (as you do  ;D). It says that a large house once stood between Chipperfield Road (that's off Coleshill Road) and Hodge Common. Could that have been the school. Now it's a grassed over corner position with flats set back. I wonder how many pupils the school had.

We moved to the area when I was a child in 1956/7, and I went to The Firs school for a short time until we moved again. I am just so curious as to the location of the school!

There is a house called “Moat House” in that vicinity, viewable on several old maps:

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/415500/289500/13/101329

Look at the 1953 map, Coleshill Road is quite long and there are any number of unnamed large houses which could have been a school.

There is a named “Nursery” on Coleshill Road at the junction of Hodge Hill Common. Maybe if you have a look on Google street view you might see something which looks familiar.

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 May 21 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

This link should take you to schools in the Birmingham area including Castle Bromwich.  It’s rather long but you might see something you recognise, it’s searchable.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol7/pp501-548#highlight-first

Nic

Online Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 May 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
That's a really interesting link Nic. I got a bit sidetracked at reading about schools my family must of attended.

Ruskie as you say there are plenty of big houses along Coleshill Road that could be used as a school. Perhaps this one is going to remain a mystery.

Offline Robert Taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 May 21 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have made useful suggestions to help in my search.  I will continue to follow up on those leads.  As a result of the suggestions I have carefully examined whether The Amberley school could have been related to "Guthlick House".  Unfortunately no!  The uniform is wrong and the dates are wrong.  Two positive things have emerged, however.  I have discovered that there is a St Guthlac - so this may be a possible spelling to the school name and I now recall a doctor's surgery either next door to the school or very close nearby.  As a scar on my forehead reminds me I was hit by a rising bench whilst at the school and had to have stitches in the wound.
The search continues.!

Online Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 May 21 07:43 BST (UK) »
Not that this helps but I do remember the doctors surgery on Coleshill Road which closed several years ago. It was situated on the same side of the road as Amberley School but a fair distance away. The houses on that stretch of the road are big and I can well imagine another school being there.

There was another more recent doctors surgery right at the bottom of Coleshill Road which is now a nursery, opposite the Clock garage. I wouldn't have thought a school would have been there, but who knows.

I hope you manage to find your school eventually.

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 May 21 08:22 BST (UK) »
I wonder if is a house name within your school you remember.  This may account for the tie.  I’m aware of a couple of schools local to me where the children have different ties according to which house they’re in.

Nic