Author Topic: A Research knot/blunder  (Read 903 times)

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Research knot/blunder
« on: Monday 10 May 21 07:54 BST (UK) »
I made an accidental discovery which now seems to throw my research into question. My Ancestor William Key Married Susannah Briggs in 1803.
I found them in the census in 1841 living with John Briggs whom I assumed to be her father (my first mistake). I thought her Parents were John Briggs and Elizabeth Jacob's who married in 1777 but not only can I not find any trace of a baptism for Susannah around 1781 ( her birth on census and I know it could be up to 5 years either way) I came across a baptism for John Briggs in 1785 who was described as "the illegitimate son of John Briggs and Elizabeth Jacobs". I am confused as by 1785 John and Elizabeth had been married for 8 years. It was at that point that I queried why I thought they were Susannah's Parents as I only have the census evidence to go on. So all in all a bit of a blunder but the " illegitimate" puzzles me alot. Has anyone else come across a similar thing?

Regards B
Reid, Munro, kempster: Edinburgh
Sutherland, Gunn: Caithness
Ferguson: Fife
McIntyre: Liverpool
Key: Newcastle On Tyne/ Norfolk
Lake, Brinded, Wymer, Briggs: Norfolk
Philipson, Kellet, Peet, Storrow, Leck, Gifford Willan, Dover Dowker, Casson Benson, Verty: Westmorland & Cumberland & Lancashire
Ludford, Allen, lockwood: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Trotter, Collier, Pollard, Cresswell: Northumberland

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Research knot/blunder
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 May 21 09:49 BST (UK) »
John BRIGGS in the census may be a red herring, although living in the same premises he is in a different household.

Although the instructions were for ages over 15 to be rounded down to the nearest five, the correct ages for those William and  Susannah  appear to have been recorded. That makes Susannah’s birth c1781.

Have considered the baptism in Denton, Norwich 30 November 1783 of Susanna, daughter of Thomas and Mary BRIGGS.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 May 21 10:28 BST (UK) »
I can't see an actual marriage for John BRIGGS and Elizabeth JACOBS. The banns were posted 19 Oct, 26 Oct and 2 Nov 1777, but no marriage in the parish records for 1777 for them. Maybe this explains why their son John (buried 21 Jun 1785 also as the "illegimate son of ..." was recorded like this.  :-\

And I agree, John BRIGGS in the census may not be her father, though it is a reasonable assumption. (Looks like he is in the same household to me.  :-\ )

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 May 21 10:52 BST (UK) »
I notice other births at Strumpshaw to Elizabeth JACOB:

15 Feb 1780   Mary  (bu 16 April 1780)
6 Oct 1783   Mary
11 Jun 1785  John (bu 21 Jun 1785)
6 Aug 1786    Anne
24 Sep 1792  John

Modified to add:
15 Sep 1793  Rebecca
7 Jun 1795  Sarah  (bu 24 Sep 1795)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 May 21 10:55 BST (UK) »
On another note, did you know William Key was a widower when he married Susannah Briggs.

His first wife was Susannah Flint 6 October 1801 at Freethorpe, she was buried 25 April 1802 All Saints Freethorpe, w/o William. Late Susannah Flint

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 May 21 13:48 BST (UK) »
John BRIGGS in the census may be a red herring, although living in the same premises he is in a different household.

Although the instructions were for ages over 15 to be rounded down to the nearest five, the correct ages for those William and  Susannah  appear to have been recorded. That makes Susannah’s birth c1781.

Have considered the baptism in Denton, Norwich 30 November 1783 of Susanna, daughter of Thomas and Mary BRIGGS.
Thank you, I hadn't spotted that John was separate in 1841.
Although Susannah says she was born in Strumpshaw I think the Denton one is the closest.
It's always dangerous to assume. ;)
Regards B
Philipson, Kellet, Peet, Storrow, Leck, Gifford Willan, Dover Dowker, Casson Benson, Verty: Westmorland & Cumberland & Lancashire

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 May 21 13:53 BST (UK) »
I can't see an actual marriage for John BRIGGS and Elizabeth JACOBS. The banns were posted 19 Oct, 26 Oct and 2 Nov 1777, but no marriage in the parish records for 1777 for them. Maybe this explains why their son John (buried 21 Jun 1785 also as the "illegimate son of ..." was recorded like this.  :-\

And I agree, John BRIGGS in the census may not be her father, though it is a reasonable assumption. (Looks like he is in the same household to me.  :-\ )
No marriage, that's interesting. Perhaps one of them was already married.
 :)
Kind Regards
B

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 May 21 13:57 BST (UK) »
On another note, did you know William Key was a widower when he married Susannah Briggs.

His first wife was Susannah Flint 6 October 1801 at Freethorpe, she was buried 25 April 1802 All Saints Freethorpe, w/o William. Late Susannah Flint
Hi,
Yes I did know that, but many thanks for checking and letting me know. Ironically I found Susannah Flint's birth in Strumpshaw vety easily but not Susannah Briggs'
Typical  ::) :)
Kind regards
B

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 May 21 07:09 BST (UK) »
I have looked into the Susannna Briggs born in Denton 1781 and whilst I can't rule  her out, I think she is most likely the Susan Briggs who married John Pearse at Ellingham in 1804 as it's just a stone's throw from Denton. I know people moved about etc but this seems more likely on paper. Also the little things don't fit like her siblings names and her birthplace. My Susannah in 1851 says she was born in Strumpshaw so I think she must have been or very near there.

B