Author Topic: Missing wife Martins Clavering Essex/Loughborough Leicestershire  (Read 3647 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Missing wife Martins Clavering Essex/Loughborough Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 May 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
It is Philip Martin  :)
MARTIN, PHILIP       mmn RISTE 
1882  Sep Quarter in LOUGHBOROUGH  Volume 07A  Page 129

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 May 21 19:03 BST (UK) »
Can’t thank you enough for all your help rosie99.  You’ve lead me to a relative I doubt I would have found otherwise Phillip Martin.  He was the full brother of my great, great grandad.  It explains why they are all carpenters too. 

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 May 21 21:09 BST (UK) »
Slightly off topic but may be of interest, and may explain why Lydia was with her brother in 1871.

Chelmsford Chronicle
21 Apr 1865
page 8, column 3
Saffron Walden
Petty Sessions, April 15
Wife Beating
Peter Barker, dealer, of Clavering, for beating Lydia Barker, his wife, and most shamefully abusing her, on the 31st March and the 2nd April, was fined 10s, expenses 10s, or to be committed for 21 days, and if he persisted in his violent conduct to be bound over to keep the peace. - Subsequently the wife came back with her brother, with whom she had taken refuge, and applied for protection, since she went in bodily fear, for her husband had threatened to kill her, and carried firearms continually. - The bench sent a constable after him, but he could not be found, and he was afterwards taken by warrant before W C Smith, Esq., and bound over in £20 and two sureties in £10 each to keep the peace.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 May 21 21:14 BST (UK) »
Wow that’s a fab find thank you so much it does certainly answer the question as to why she wasn’t living with her husband.  I’ve discovered she was a post mistress in Clavering for a time too.loving this site and all the helpful people on it thanks to all of you