Author Topic: Bridget Rabbitt Revisited  (Read 1448 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Rabbitt Revisited
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 16:11 BST (UK) »
In case it ties in somewhere:

A Dennis Robbitt (as indexed), died in New York on 20/4/1893, with additional note "Note:   
Home for Insane; in U.S. & New York City  41years". Birthplace Ireland.

He was apparently married, but no details of a wife noted. Aged 65, so born c1828. Father and mother noted as a Dennis and Bridget C Robbitt.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W6H-YFR
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 02:02 BST (UK) »
The date of death ties in to the info supplied in the 'family story' on Ancestry and also with the transfer of land to Bridget Rabbit in 1892.  What is intriguing is that the notice 'seems' to say that he had been in a home for the insane in US & NY city for 41 years ie from about 1852.  So they were married but living apart for periods  and this may explain some entries where there is a Bridget Rabbitt living with others.

OP I firmly believe that the mystery of Bridget will come from US sources first that may, hopefully open the door to Irish records. 

To save going over old ground could you advise if you have explored history of Margaret (Rabbett) aged 16 in the 1870 census. 

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 07:50 BST (UK) »
Back in 1908 when Bridgets obituary appeared in our local newspaper I can't imagine why her pre-deceased husband wasn't mentioned - and if she had a daughter called Margaret, did she also die. I haven't looked at Margaret but maybe I should. It may reveal some clues.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 09:19 BST (UK) »
Back in 1908 when Bridgets obituary appeared in our local newspaper I can't imagine why her pre-deceased husband wasn't mentioned - and if she had a daughter called Margaret, did she also die. I haven't looked at Margaret but maybe I should. It may reveal some clues.

If in fact her husband did die in a psychiatric hospital then there could be a reason perhaps not to mention him.  Or perhaps she  had adopted a courtesy title of widow? and possibly could her maiden surname be Rabbitt?

My view is that the key to finding out more in the Irish records is to 'nail down' her life in the US. 

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 11:10 BST (UK) »
Here is her obituary, you may see clues I don't.......

Her title Mrs. leads me to believe she was married.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 23:54 BST (UK) »
What does UDC mean in relation to one of her nephews? 

A word of warning about the use of Mrs.  It was used by  women who were not in fact married ie in a church or civil registration.  Many because they could not ie they may be living with a person but not been able to divorce the previous spouse or because there new spouse  had not been able to divorce.  Many women working in homes for others took the title Mrs or said they were a widow.  More acceptable to the employers and saved harassment by others if they could claim they were married but a widow. 

Your Mrs Rabbitt may have been married officially to Mr. Rabbitt and finding a marriage certificate would confirm this.  There is a note about an 1862 marriage but no certificate, yet.  Where does the idea of a marriage in that year come from?  The daughter may be Mr Rabbitt's  and not your Mrs Rabbitt's and that may be why the marriage took place after her birth and why the daughter does not feature later.  Do you need to ask the church concerned where their records are or ask someone to do a search for them.   

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 May 21 07:51 BST (UK) »
James was a member of the Urban District Council. Also, the surname Rabbitt is one unique to certain parts of Ireland, normally Galway, certainly not Tyrone.

The facts show that she was living 'on the interest on money' (1901 census), in a house provided by James, her nephew.

James was of a farming background though by the 1890s both him and his brother Bernard had moved into town and established a general hardware store and a public house. They owned many properties and land around town.

Her early life, is somewhat of a mystery. I appreciate your assistance to date in trying to unearth her past.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 May 21 09:14 BST (UK) »
In the 1860 census at White Plains NY there is an entry with Dennis 35 years , a 10 year older 45 years Nancy and two children, one of whom is Margarett. 

Dennis Rabbitt
Nancy Rabbitt   45
Margarett Rabbitt
Bridget Rabbitt

The next census, 1870, Dennis is there, a Margaret/t is there and a new Bridgett, spouse. 

What has happened to Nancy and the younger Bridget? 

Nancy has possibly died (NB Nancy can be Ann or Agnes) the younger Bridget may have left home.  perhaps the younger Bridgett and Margaret, being step children were not close to their father's new wife?

Have you searched for these children and to find what happened to Nancy Rabbitt?  White Plains NY has featured with Dennis and possibly your Bridget.

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 May 21 09:32 BST (UK) »
Shanreagh, believe me I have been round in circles with almost every possibility, which is why the thread is called 'Bridget Rabbitt Revisited.

Around 6years ago, I went through the original parish records in the church offices. Her death was listed with no other clues.

Her grave sits directly opposite the McSorley family plot. She is first to be listed on her headstone followed by Patrick Rock and his wife Bridget (McSorley). The Rock family originated in Co.Armagh.