Author Topic: A Story You Don't See Every Day  (Read 890 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Story You Don't See Every Day
« on: Monday 10 May 21 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've just stumbled across this story about a relative who was originally from Newcastle, it's certainly not one I expected to find:

TRAGIC DEATH MR WOODGER, YARMOUTH. KILLED BY A LION. News reached Yarmouth yesterday by cablegram from Blantyre that Mr John Woodger, well-known Yarmouth fish merchant, had been killed by a lion near Lake Nyassa in which region he bad been engaged trading with the natives.

It just goes to show what fascinating stories are out there waiting to be found, although I suspect I won't find anymore about this one.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Story You Don't See Every Day
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 May 21 15:42 BST (UK) »
Good heavens! Poor man.

I wasn't aware of the export trade in kippers to Africa - every day a school day in here:-)

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 May 21 15:45 BST (UK) »
No, I had wondered what sort of business he was doing, I don't imagine there was much call for kippers there.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 May 21 16:01 BST (UK) »
Salt herring was exported to the Caribbean to feed the slaves.

Skoosh.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 May 21 16:04 BST (UK) »
Gosh!  What a shocking story about your poor ancestor!  :'( Hope this doesn't give you nightmares tonight Michael - you are right it is not often people come across anything this dramatic  :o .. thankfully .. fascinating story as it is.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 May 21 16:07 BST (UK) »
I see he came from a long line of herring curers.

One wonders what the folks in the area of Lake Nyasa made of the good old kipper.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 May 21 16:13 BST (UK) »
Salt herring was exported to the Caribbean to feed the slaves.

Skoosh.

Thanks Skoosh,

I had no idea about that, it seems a crazy thing to do.

RTL,

I'd love to find out more about what he was doing but I think Skoosh may have answered that question.

JenB,

The whole extended family seems to have been involved. When John invented them he seems to have got sons and cousins involved and it's just carried on from there.

Michael

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 May 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
What a tragic end  ::)  I doubt that anyone else can beat that story, but you never know.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 May 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
Michael, the Wester Ross curing stations exported salt herring mostly to the Baltic but the likes of Isle Martin & Tanera Mor cured & desiccated Red Herring for the plantations, sounds disgusting. Kippers wouldn't have lasted past St Kilda.  ;D

Cured in peat smoke, explanation here. Both islands uninhabited now? Have stayed a week on Tanera, amazing place!

https://islemartin.org/heritage-project/discoveries/

Bests,
Skoosh.