Author Topic: Who's the daddy?  (Read 1723 times)

Offline gingerslf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Who's the daddy?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 May 21 18:38 BST (UK) »
No harm in posting this I hope!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 May 21 18:52 BST (UK) »
It is more than likely that there was a code beside her name denoting the alteration, but sadly the page is damaged just at that point.

As Rosie has already said, it was fairly standard practice for women who had married to have their name amended on the register. It would have come from an official source.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 May 21 19:01 BST (UK) »
There might be something on the 1921 census that comes out next year.

:-\

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 May 21 19:45 BST (UK) »
In that 1939 register extract, what is the relationship between Mary A Prior (born 1866) and Florence H Prior (born 1919), and are the dates of birth correct?

If they were said to be mother and daughter, then the dates of birth (if correct) seem to make that rather unlikely, though not impossible. Not many women would be able to have a baby at age 53, I think, so could this possible anomaly be part of the mystery/cover-up?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 May 21 19:50 BST (UK) »
Florence H is actually the Helen you refer to?

I’m being very thick but I don’t understand where the father/husband issue comes into it with regard to the 1939 register.

Florence married a man called Laughton in 1940 and subsequently, as was usual, the register was amended to reflect her new surname.

Someone please explain what I’m missing!

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gingerslf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 May 21 19:56 BST (UK) »
In that 1939 register extract, what is the relationship between Mary A Prior (born 1866) and Florence H Prior (born 1919), and are the dates of birth correct?

If they were said to be mother and daughter, then the dates of birth (if correct) seem to make that rather unlikely, though not impossible. Not many women would be able to have a baby at age 53, I think, so could this possible anomaly be part of the mystery/cover-up?

The mother is Dorothy M b 1898.

Offline gingerslf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 May 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
Florence H is actually the Helen you refer to?

I’m being very thick but I don’t understand where the father/husband issue comes into it with regard to the 1939 register.

Florence married a man called Laughton in 1940 and subsequently, as was usual, the register was amended to reflect her new surname.

You are missing nothing.
At the time of my post I was unaware that the register was amended for the reasons given previously.

But for some reason she also started using Helen instead of Florence.

As for explaining Prior, that's far too complicated and part of the puzzle!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 May 21 21:49 BST (UK) »
I don’t understand where the father/husband issue comes into it with regard to the 1939 register.

You are missing nothing.

As for explaining Prior, that's far too complicated and part of the puzzle!

I don't think anyone will be able to help unless you give details of the 'puzzle'?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"