Author Topic: Lowry Owens  (Read 884 times)

Offline fjyod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lowry Owens
« on: Monday 10 May 21 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I have just found my first Welsh ancestor named Lowry / Laura Owens! The 1851 census lists her birthplace as Pwllheli, Caernarvonshire. She is proving to be quite the brickwall, though. I would like to find her parents, and hopefully grandparents. Here is everything that I know about her: She was born about 1810 in Pwllheli, she married Henry Pugh Bellis/Bayliss in 1833 in Manchester, and she passed away in 1876 in Ulverston, Lancashire. She had several children between the years 1833 and 1847. I'm also not quite sure how Welsh surnames work, and whether or not her father's firstname or surname was Owens... any help or direction would be wonderful, I appreciate anything :)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lowry Owens
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 May 21 19:03 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage details?

I can only see a marriage for Laura Owens, 1833, in Eccles and that is to Henry Baylis  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fjyod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 May 21 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hello heywood, I have a picture of the Bishop's Transcript:

"Henry Baylis of this parish, Laura Owens of this parish, were married in this church by Banns with consent of _____ this fifteenth day of September in the Year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Thirty Three by me Wm MacInos Curate? This marriage was Solemnized Between Us Henry Baylis Laura Owens x Mark, in the presence of Thomas Gosse and Thomas Shaw/Shaut? No. 293"

There is no information about their parents sadly. However I did find a birth record for a Laura Owens in Pwllheli 1810 daughter of Owen Williams and Jane, but not sure if this is her

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 May 21 20:30 BST (UK) »
Yes that’s the one I saw the transcript of on lancsopc
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

It is Eccles though not Manchester and the groom is Henry not Thomas Pugh  ::)

It is too early for parental information but I thought there might be family members living closeby.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fjyod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 May 21 22:42 BST (UK) »
Shoot, I made a mistake in my original post, sorry!!!!!!!! Laura did in fact marry HENRY Bayliss, her son's name was Thomas oops

Offline ChrisBaylis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 May 21 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there ... the Henry Pugh Baylis you refer to is one of my ancestors .... we have had Henry ugh Baylis's in every generation of my family up until mine when one of us were named Henry Pugh. However I have put that right by naming my son Henry Pugh  :D

If you are able to look at ancestry uk you should be able to find my family tree which will bring you forward for the Henry Pugh Baylis you refer to all the way to me and my children so hopefully help add some detail for you.

Henry Pugh Baylis was a pawnbroker in Ulverston having moved there from Manchester ... the shop is still there but is no longer a pawnbrokers .... it's a newsagents so everyt ime we go we buy a lottery ticket in there but no luck so far :-)

If you have any particular questions please feel free to reply to this and I'll try my best to answer what I can and perhaps you could share any info you have on your side of the family tree.  Best wishes, Chris Baylis (Stockport)

Offline fjyod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 May 21 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris! It's great to meet you, I have never came across a family member on a forum before! My great-grandmother was named Dorothy Bellis (born 1913 Stockport). I am a descendant of Henry Pugh's son Thomas. When Thomas moved to Stockport, his name was anglicized to Bellis, and that's how my great-grandma got her surname.

I am at quite a loss for the Bayliss family, though. This is my first time doing Welsh genealogy. My family tree hasn't connected to anyone else's trees, so there are no potential parents listed for Henry Pugh (if you know his ancestors). I did manage to find a Manchester baptism though for a Henry Baylis Pugh (I forget the year, but it was a year or two off from our Henry's birth year referencing the censuses), and I'm not sure why the surnames were reversed, or even if it is our Henry. That was a week ago, but now my FindMyPast trial has expired :(  I will definitely give a search on Ancestry for your tree, perhaps you can find my tree as well. I am curious, do you have any family stories about anyone in the family? No stories were passed down on my side sadly, just one heirloom. As for the lottery tickets, good luck! Great to meet you!

Offline ChrisBaylis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 June 21 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi .... here is a photo of Henry Pugh Baylis's gravestone that we took sometime in the early 90's we think. Sorry for taking so long to reply but we had to search this out at my Dad's.

At the time the church had ceased to be a church and was being used as a sports club but I believe it has since been converted into apartments. It is Trinity church, on New Church Lane Ulverston.

Hope this is of interest to you, Cheers, Chris.

Offline fjyod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 July 21 23:25 BST (UK) »
WOW, such an interesting find, thanks!!!!!!!!