Author Topic: Sara Ann Watterson,June 16,1895, Ireland to Philadelphia  (Read 619 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sara Ann Watterson,June 16,1895, Ireland to Philadelphia
« on: Tuesday 11 May 21 03:23 BST (UK) »
I have seen mention of the emigration of Sara Ann Watterson from Ireland to Philadelphia on June 16, 1895. I can’t bring up the record. I would like to see relative in Ireland as well as person at destination. Thanks for any help.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sara Ann Watterson,June 16,1895, Ireland to Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 12:49 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
Consular Registration Application for Sara Ann Watterson born 16 June 1895 West Grove gives father details.  Pennsylvania. My father was Isaac Gibson Watterson born 14 June 1854 West Grove Pennsylvania and is now deceased.  I last left the USA 27 July 1923 arriving Bangkok Siam 20 September 1923.
Teaching and missionary work.

Mother was Julia nee Geiger Watterson - obituary - Lancaster New Era Lancaster, Pennsylvania
05 Feb 1935, Tue    Page 3

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/77495395/obituary-for-julia-a-watterson/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Sandra for this amazing info. I will keep it for further reference. First of all, let me apologize. The date should have been July 26, 1895. On that date, Sara Ann Watterson left Ireland and the reference given was the UK and Ireland, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960 but I couldn't bring up that list. She was reportedly the daughter of Joseph Watterson and Eliza Hurl but I wanted to verify that as other trees have her remaining in Ireland.
But, get this. In composing this reply, and trying to get it right with the correct dates, I found two things. One was the death certificate for Julia Roche in 1959 and I learned her husband's name, George W. Roche, and her parents were Benjamin Watterson and ?Lizzie. Then get this, I found the marriage of Benjamin Watterson and Lizzie Averell on June 8, 1895 in Camden, Camden, New Jersey. If you recall, when Virginia Gee nee Watterson, was marrying John George Spencer in 1934, she said her mother was Elizabeth White nee Averill. I for one, thought the Averill part was erroneous information. What is going on? Surely, Benjamin would not marry Lizzie in New Jersey in June 1895 return to Ireland, and arrive back in Philadelphia in Sept 1895 with wife Martha. I know that the Sept 1895 Benjamin is the correct person that I was researching, going to  see his sister Mary Jane Steal/Steele. Are we still looking at a person called Martha Elizabeth? Or two Benjamins? Or Lizzie Averell nee White, instead of the other way around. We really need that marriage in June 1895 but I  fear it may not have his parents on it. I did not find a marriage for Benjamin in Ireland to a Martha or a Lizzie prior to Sept 1895.
Anyway, for now, back to Sara Ann Watterson emigrating July 26,1895. I still haven't found it.
Peggy

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 17:19 BST (UK) »
The date should have been July 26, 1895. On that date, Sara Ann Watterson left Ireland and the reference given was the UK and Ireland, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960 but I couldn't bring up that list.

There was a Sarah Watterson who departed Londonderry on that date,  bound for New York on the Ethiopia. The New York arrivals passenger manifest records that she was aged 27, heading for Rhode Island, and that she was a US citizen.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ, thank you very much. I tried to follow up on this info and looked for Sarah Watterson in Rhode Island in 1900 with no luck. However, I have found that the stated destination is not always where they ended up. I have had 2 or 3 other Wattersons stating that they were headed for Illinois but were found in Philadelphia. On several occasions, I find a passenger list which gives a contact at point of departure and another contact at destination which helps to verify if you have the right person. No such luck as yet with Sarah. If she was a citizen of Rhode Island, she must have made an earlier trip.
thanks again
Peggy

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 May 21 15:31 BST (UK) »
Just making a note of one I did check out (so that we can discount her- along with those others )  - Sarah Ann Watterson 6 January 1866 Magherafelt Londonderry.

Married 1903 -  Sarah A Watterson Marriage Date 7 Oct 1903 - Marriage Place - Manhattan, New York, Spouse Robert Simon - Certificate Number 19473

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2437-QGB

Also found her listed on ancestry tree with parents James Watterson and Matilda Booth.

Obit/death notice  - Democrat and Chronicle Rochester, New York
11 Dec 1939, Mon    Page 14

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/9067994/democrat-and-chronicle/?xid=637

California Death Index showed her sister - Isabelle Watterson Dotson Birth Date 1 Apr 1871 Birth Place - Other Country - Death Date 9 Feb 1948 - Death Place Los Angeles - Mother's Maiden Name Booth - Father's Surname - Watterson.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 May 21 16:34 BST (UK) »
 I looked up the marriage of James Watterson and Matilda Booth in 1857 and it says his father was Leonard. However, there is a mini tree on familysearch which has the father of James as John. I would think the marriage record should be correct. What does the ancestry tree say for the parents of James?
thank you
Peggy

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 May 21 17:00 BST (UK) »
Leonard Watterson 1812–1892 - born 1812 - died 31 December 1892 - Cookstown, Ireland.
Eliza Martha Martin 1814–??

Leonard Watterson - 1812 - Date of Registration - 1892 Oct-Nov-Dec - Death Age 80 years- Registration district Cookstown - Volume 1 Page 369

Sandra