Author Topic: Salisbury  (Read 606 times)

Offline hooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Salisbury
« on: Monday 29 August 05 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this site and to the internet so please bear with me as I don't know what I am doing. I have found out that my mother who I always thought was an only child had an older brother who died at birth or very soon afterwards. I believe that his name was Gerard Salisbury and he was born around 1930.  His parents where Edward Salisbury and Elizabeth Salisbury. I have been advised that in those days there would be no records if a child died at birth. Is this true or could anyone advise where I start looking.   

Thanks

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Salisbury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Hooper

Welcome to Rootschat. You have found a great site and we are here to help.

From the GRO website

"Stillbirth registration began on 1 July 1927 to help protect infant life. As well as being an important source of historical and statistical information, it also gives parents the opportunity to have their child officially acknowledged and to give him or her names if they wish to."

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/stillbirths/

Obtaining a certificate is different to obtaining one for births, marriages and deaths. Because of the sensitivity of the circumstances applications are restricted. It is all explained on the above link.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Salisbury
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 13:27 BST (UK) »
If the baby was born alive but died very soon afterwards, there would be a registration of birth and of death.
These can be searched for in the indexes at the Family Records Office, Myddleton Street, Angel Islington (Open Mon-Sat, free), or on-line at 1837online (Pay-to-view site)
If you find the entry in the index, you can if you wish, order copies of the birth and death certificates (about £7 each)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk