Author Topic: Diary > Monday 10th May.  (Read 1096 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 10th May.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 11:45 BST (UK) »
The cake was very good MH instead of one big cake we had boxes of  a selection of different cakes so plenty of choice.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 12:20 BST (UK) »
I have spoken to people about hugging, several said they would be try to be very careful  and some said they don't want to hug unless they are direct relations, think I am in agreement with them, whilst it is nice to hug, children and  grandchildren,  hugging in my opinion has become fashionable over the relatively recent years, will be strange to hug all off a sudden after not being able to, think I will go with the flow hoping I don't upset anyone

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 12:34 BST (UK) »
I have spoken to people about hugging, several said they would be try to be very careful  and some said they don't want to hug unless they are direct relations, think I am in agreement with them, whilst it is nice to hug, children and  grandchildren,  hugging in my opinion has become fashionable over the relatively recent years, will be strange to hug all off a sudden after not being able to, think I will go with the flow hoping I don't upset anyone

Louisa Maud

I'm firm believer in if someone doesn't want a hug you don't hug them.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 13:13 BST (UK) »
My day was just the usual.

Glad the site I recommended was useful, Roobarb, and that you were able to order some books for bathtime reading!

Mowsehowse, I've literally just finished reading 'The Vow' by Debbie Howells which I had downloaded to my tablet a while ago.    An intriguing mystery and I couldn't put it down. 

Nice to hear about the books that others are reading.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 13:51 BST (UK) »
Oh MS It is awful that someone has intentionally keyed your car. I get the impression there might be a story behind it. I hope it can be resolved, though it sounds like you will be out of pocket if you decide to repair it.

Pharma, Caroline’s recipes are a source of inspiration for many of us (well, definitely for me  ;D ). I think we’re all in inviting ourselves over for a garden party once covid passes.  ;D (Poor Caroline)

The last supermarket delivery I had was from Tesco in about 1996 - at that time I think they had just started home grocery delivery.  ;D I don’t like supermarket shopping but I often want to look for inspiration in the aisles. What I would really like is an M&S food hall.

I agree that it has become fashionable LM. It’s hugs rather than hand shakes - at least it was before covid. It’s not something I miss.  :)

My Monday: OH and I went to pick up something for me that he purchased online - one of my quirky collectable objects.

We then popped to a nursery - the last one remaining in my local area. There used to be five or six we regularly visited, but sadly they’ve all closed. I was looking for a new Sweet Osmanthus / Osmanthus fragrans. It is one of my favourite scented flowers - they are divine. The two I already have are in pots and aren’t really thriving, so I want a nice new one to plant in the ground. Unfortunately there were none in stock but they are on order so I will just have to be patient.

Next stop was Bunnings (similar to B&Q) to buy a couple of small items, then lastly we decided to have a late lunch. It’s been a while since we ate out.

Started watching a new series, “Butterfly” with Anna Friel. Interesting so far.

Usual dog walk - uneventful, just how I like it.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 14:04 BST (UK) »
Another side  of  hugging, some people  who  hug  have  no one at home to hug,  same   as the peace in church adopted  over recent years by my church,  the  only  contact  they   have, not  allowed  over  the  past  year.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
PharmaT & Ruskie - I look at BBC Good Food web site... I do have a sub ( Christmas present) for the magazine and I mark those that I like the look of, but I also just go to their site put in what ever it is and see what recipes come up! I usually tweak them in some way if I don’t have/like a particular ingredient! I’d love to have you all over for a garden party ... how fab that would be, we’ve stuck together now for over a year and I’m sure there’d be no lack of chatter!

The book I’m reading at the moment is The Royal Secret by Andrew Taylor his latest one out ...set in 1670’s. I’ve read all his previous books and loved them, bit historical, crime and social...

Re hugging only intend to give my daughter and grandsons a hug... no one else! Not into that with lots of others...

Had some exciting news this morning... a message via Ancestry from a 3/4th cousin (DNA match 178cM over 10 segments) from my fathers side of the family of whom I know very little .... OH thought I was bonkers jumping up and down with excitement.... replied straight away and hope I hear back soon.... his/hers gt grandmother was my dads aunt! Might get to know more about that side.... and proof too of paternity.... never thought there was a doubt but did begin to wonder as not had any matches ( that I can work out) so far from that side! Keeping fingers crossed we can exchange info...wonder where they live....  beside myself 😀😀.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 14:22 BST (UK) »
Excellent news about your new DNA match Caroline. No one ever contacts me and most of the ones I contact don't reply - shame.

I do a similar thing as you Caroline - change recipes to suit. I find Google very handy if I have a couple of unusual ingredients - a few appropriate search terms usually brings up some decent recipe ideas. I don't tend to stick to a particular foodie website though I like the sound of the BBC Good Food one. I sometimes head to Delia Online too.

Your poor OH if a dozen or more rootschatters descend upon your garden Caroline. He'd probably have the urge to head off to golf, but I think you should put him to work in the kitchen slaving over some nice fresh loaves.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 17:32 BST (UK) »
I am very selective about hugging and kissing!
Before Covid 19 I only really did it to family.
Occasionally I see  the programme where guest houses keepers visit each others’ premises.
The comments and nit picking are spiteful and shriek of tactics ,yet everyone is kissing and hugging each other!
So no real meaning to it ,so don’t do it.

Well ,daughter phoned as usual ,no visits in May as still some way to go re how many can meet,so she suggested a week in July when she will have FH as Mummy is on a course and Daddy working and school closed for the Summer holidays .
So Colchester Zoo, a Petting farm, Sandy sandwiches at the Suffolk coast .
Etc etc etc.
Things might be a lot easier then.

Second son phoned this morning - home testing kit negative but now the blood tests.
A clear bright morning so started to sort out bulbs to dry off,then dark and heavy rain teeming down, now bright sunshine again.
I have been looking for some Laura Ashley wallpaper to match some fabric of hers ,Kate-  a trellis of tiny leaves enclosing a little rosebud .
Advertised but the wallpaper is not exactly the same as the fabric ,so get some advertised vintage fabric instead ,but it says not available!
No real problem .
It does feel very personal when your property is wilfully damaged .
A mature middle aged man ,a professional person, was found guilty some few
years ago , for wilfully damaging cars all along a route, everyone expected it to be younger people and were surprised a grown up would be so spiteful.
Not sure why he felt he could do that.

I am not sure if the following can be counted as success or failure- ,my artificial grass has got moss growing in it, ::)

Just spoken to FH, thanking me for his card ,they are travelling up ASAP and will sleep in their van which my grandson has customised like a camper van.
He can pick up his present from me then.

Thanks for all the news folks, keep well .
Viktoria.

herszKate,