Author Topic: Robinson/Robertson - Fisher marriage about 1830-41  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robinson/Robertson - Fisher marriage about 1830-41
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 May 21 01:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

Mary Ann Robinson became Catholic in Australia. I do not know what Religion William and Jane were after their arrival here.

At the moment I am unable to identify exactly which William Robertson/Robinson over here as there are quite a few and if he and his wife Jane had children plus which are theirs in the NSW BDM Historical Records. Example: There is a Margaret Robinson born in 1841 with parents William and Jane but there is also a William Robinson same parents names born in 1839 (before William Robertson and Jane Fisher arrived) so no way of knowing if Margaret belongs to the parents of William born in 1839 or not even though William Robertson who arrived in 1841, his mother is Margaret (at this point in time it would just be guessing). Not knowing exactly which William and if Robertson or Robinson also causes issues locating his death due to William Robinson/Robertson being a common name.

I don't know if they had siblings still in Londonderry or if their parents are alive or deceased (Immigration doesn't say deceased after his parents) and if deceased it would explain why Mary Ann came to Australia at 17yo with her brother and his wife.

Kind Regards

Wayne

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 May 21 04:00 BST (UK) »
If Church of Ireland,

The 1831 Census has

John Robertson house 7 in Ballymully (Desertlyn, Loughinsholin, Londonderry) 2 males 3 females

no other Robertson living near them.

If the Surname is Robinson the 1831 Census  has

John Robinson house 26 in Drumeroon (Mecasquin, Coleraine, Londonderry) 2 males 1 female
Mary Robinson house 27 in Drumeroon (Mecasquin, Coleraine, Londonderry) 3 females
William Robinson house 29 in Drumeroon (Mecasquin, Coleraine, Londonderry) 1 male 5 females

All 3 entries in Drumeroon (Mecasquin, Coleraine, Londonderry) that add up to 12 people are Presby (plus shows 3 of the names that are in the family I am looking for, so they are probably all related to each other).

That John Robinson only has 3 people in the household (2 males and 1 female which could be John and his two children William and Mary).

Kind Regards,

Wayne

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 May 21 02:57 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census for Londonderry has no Robinson or Robertson in it :(

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 May 21 03:29 BST (UK) »

It is a census scrap.  Have you looked o Bill Macafee's site yet?

Offline Wayne Cook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 May 21 05:35 BST (UK) »

It is a census scrap.  Have you looked o Bill Macafee's site yet?

That site under Census it doesn't mention (or have a link to) the 1851 Census of Londonderry but it does say 1851 County Antrim Fragments.  It does have a church list of inhabitants 1804-1810, list of tennants 1814, census of inhabitants for the parish of Ballymore 1803 and Census of First Ballymoney Presbyterian Church 1817 plus Census of the Congregation of Magilligan Presbyterian Church c.1855 though.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 May 21 08:23 BST (UK) »
I think if there are no entries for 1851 then there are none. 

There is a huge amount of trawling through the documents on the Macafee site, Griffiths, the 1901 census looking at the older people on the census who could have been contemporaries of the William & Mary Ann, family search, Ancestry and this site https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/

When doing a large amount of research what I have found useful is to set up a spreadsheet called 'XYZ mentions'  Say 'Robertson/Robinson mentions'.  I log by date (just the year) in the first column, names and what the document said and a link.  Just enter them and then sort by date. 

When you get more certain of a location then Google that for Genealogy and you will get local groups.  eg Ballymoney has a small site to look at
http://www.ballymoneyancestry.com/default.aspx

I would also try to find out the places that coopers usually worked in Co Londonderry:

'A cooper is a person trained to make wooden casks, barrels, vats, buckets, tubs, troughs and other similar containers from timber staves that were usually heated or steamed to make them pliable. Journeymen coopers also traditionally made wooden implements, such as rakes and wooden-bladed shovels'

They may be making barrels for beer or for whiskey.  They would need access to wood, water and heating.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 14 May 21 23:30 BST (UK) »
If I was doing this research I would start by following through the ones named and 'townlanded' on the 1831 census especially in Griffiths, Macafee's site, and for deaths in FS, Acty and Irishgenealogy.ie.  Also all the oldies in those townlands on the 1901/1911 census.

You will find that some of the spellings are different eg Macosquin.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 15 May 21 07:18 BST (UK) »

"..No parent details on her Church wedding at Hexham NSW 5 Feb 1849."

What information do you see on this document?

First marriage for Benjamin?........what names for witnesses?....does Mary Ann use her signature?

NSW BDM
637/1849 V1849637 34C     COOK   Benjamin        ROBINSON  Mary  A    @     CT

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 15 May 21 11:42 BST (UK) »
If the Surname is Robinson the 1831 Census  has
John Robinson house 26 in Drumeroon (Mecasquin, Coleraine, Londonderry) 2 males 1 female
Mary Robinson house 27 in Drumeroon (Mecasquin, Coleraine, Londonderry) 3 females
William Robinson house 29 in Drumeroon (Mecasquin, Coleraine, Londonderry) 1 male 5 female
All 3 entries in Drumeroon (Mecasquin, Coleraine, Londonderry) that add up to 12 people are Presby (plus shows 3 of the names that are in the family I am looking for, so they are probably all related to each other).
That John Robinson only has 3 people in the household (2 males and 1 female which could be John and his two children William and Mary).

That should be Drumcroon in Mecasquin (Macosquin) Parish
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246634/007246634_00339.pdf

As the families were Presbyterian there are a variety of possible Churches (not all have records that far back and of those that do not all are online)- Crossgar, Macosquin (also known as Englishtown), Killaig, Dromore, Aghadowey, Ballylintagh. There were also Presbyterian Churches in Garvagh (3), and later Moneydig and Ringsend.

The John Robinson household in 1831 census is actually John Robinson, his wife Letitia & son Archibald (bapt. 20 July 1829 Macosquin Presbyterian Church). Later they had Eliza (bapt. 19 Nov.1831), Mary (bapt. 15 July 1834), Fisher (bapt. 8 Nov.1836), John (bapt. 1 Feb.1842). The son Fisher later lived at "Whitehill" in Aghadowey townland, Aghadowey Parish.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!