Author Topic: Sheka picture recognition  (Read 579 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sheka picture recognition
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
I think the eyes are the clincher - the right eye (as we look at it) is slightly drooped in both photos. Eyes are the same shape in both photos.

I can see that the old man's ears and nose are larger, but they do continue growing.

The beard and thick hair on the young man probably hide the size of the ears a little, so they look smaller.

Old man's face has thinned due to age and he looks to have lost his teeth which changes the shape of the mouth.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 15:15 BST (UK) »
I've played around with my earlier side by side and overlaid the young man with a 50% opacity of the old man.  They match up quite well, given that ears, nose, etc. enlarge with age.

The eye might be lower on the one side because of the angle of the original - will see if I can adjust.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 15:16 BST (UK) »
Impressed with the skills, Gadget!!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 15:20 BST (UK) »
Here's a slight rotate.

(Josey - it's a relief from growing my Ancestry tree  :-X )

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 16:04 BST (UK) »
Also it's key to note the importance of the different lighting, depth of field, angle of the head, processing and printing, etc. This has an effect on the apparent size of the ears, etc. The hat on the older man also effects the way our eyes percieve things.  It looks like a good 30 or 40 years between these photos, and possibly the first one was professionally taken, while the second may not have been. If indeed it is the same man, and I think it likely is. If it isn't there is certainly a strong family connection.

There really is a lot that goes into this forensic stuff, LOL. I find myself wishing I perhaps had gone a different route in my college career. It's quite an interesting field! And look how well we do just with our home computers! Imagine if we had the million dollar equipment that law enforcement and scientific researchers have!
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline bradleycooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 18:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Impressive forensic work! The older man originally had dark brown eyes, dark brown hair. The old man was always slender, but especially thin at old age. Also the older man’s nose might have been broken.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Bradley and welcome to RootsChat, it's a yes from me. Ears and nose don't stop growing and become more prominent with age.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU