Author Topic: Tool Bars Disappearing  (Read 782 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tool Bars Disappearing
« on: Tuesday 11 May 21 12:17 BST (UK) »
I am posting this here because for some reason what is happening is only happening on this site as well as Ancestry. In the middle of a search or writing a post, I suddenly realise that the tool bar at the bottom of my screen and the top has disappeared and I have no way of changing the page I am on. In fact, the only way I seem to have is shutting down my computer and restarting, when everything seems to be back. Can anyone tell me what is wrong, and if there is any way to change the page when this happens.

John

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Tool Bars Disappearing
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 14:26 BST (UK) »
It sounds as if your web browser has gone into a full-screen mode or something like that. If you let us know what sort of web browser you are using, and what operating system you are using then we might be able to figure it out for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=exit+full+screen+mode

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
And might try hitting the F10 key to see if that restores it
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
In many browsers (and other programs as well) F11 toggles full-screen mode on and off. In some, moving the mouse pointer to the top of the screen will temporarily show the menus etc which normally sit there.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 15:54 BST (UK) »
I find hitting "esc" often helps with all sorts of problems. (no reason that i know!)
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 May 21 10:41 BST (UK) »
I have not replied sooner as I have been over run with problems that seem to desappear as soon as they appear - file explorer and word keep hanging, a folder whose contents i deleted seems not to want to be deleted, a file I was working on which i accidenally closed saw all my recent work on it deleted despite being saved, then the file returned later with no deletions! and erc.

But back to the original problem which is still happening on an irregular basis. I run an Acer all-in-one computer, about four years old, with the latest version of WINDOWS 10 - in fact I have loaded a new update this morning - and my browser is Mozilla Firefox

Iam beginning to think age in the problem ?

John

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 May 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
From what you describe, there is a possibility of the file system being out of whack.

On the Start menu, select "Windows System". In there, right-click on "Command Prompt". Under "More", pick "Run as Administrator".

Once you have the command prompt, type
   chkdsk /f
and press Enter.

You will be told that this is not possible right now, but you can schedule it for when the computer next restarts. Type Y and press Enter.

When convenient, restart your machine from the Start menu and let it do its thing.

It won't do any harm, and it might do some good.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 May 21 10:11 BST (UK) »
Have dopne the chkdsk. So far no problems surfacing.

John

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 May 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
Spoke too soon as problems returned this morning, even text in Word not showing till minutes after I typed it.

By the way I have an external hard disk which File Explorer does not recognise. Any way of seeing what I have put on it.

John