Author Topic: Service record for the 1880s, question about word 'home'.  (Read 205 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Service record for the 1880s, question about word 'home'.
« on: Tuesday 11 May 21 21:12 BST (UK) »
Me again.

I'm trying to make sense of a record for a Ralph Harwood, who was in the Liverpool Regiment, first battalion, between 1885 and 1900.

I've made a good go of it, but the record is really decayed in places. Thankfully lots of people here have been helping me with the various elements.

One section I am looking at seems to be for wounded or killed soldiers, although the title is in the frayed bit so I'm not sure. I do know Ralph was killed in 1900 in Africa.

It gives a list of places he was stationed in, plus the dates and the total years and days he spent in these postings.

I'm attaching a clip below to show you what I mean.

I know that the second one is India, and the third one is Africa, but I'm not sure about the first one because the start of the word is missing.

I think it says 'Home' which would make sense because I did a bit of research into Liverpool Regiment and I know that it became practice to have one battalion in England and one abroad. So he could have been stationed in England. But would they have used the word 'Home' to describe that, or have I misunderstood?

Thank you
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Service record for the 1880s, question about word 'home'.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 21:16 BST (UK) »
Yes "Home" would mean the British Isles.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, that's really useful information to have. Luckily the dates section isn't quite as battered so I can largely make it out.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 21:42 BST (UK) »
@ShaunJ since you seem to be the person to ask, I'm wondering if you can help me make sense of another part.

This is a page which seems to give details of how long he had served.

The previous section claimed that he'd served in India from 24th September 1886 to the 5th of June 1900 and then was sent to Africa. However it also says he served 3 years and 255 days for that, which doesn't add up.

His medical record stops in 1892 which makes me think he left at some point after that.

There are some other clues on the next page. It says something, the clip of which I have included below, and the date 18.11.92. I'm wondering if that is the date he left?

Then it says re-engaged, 8.9.97 and then 'Completed a engagement' 23.9.97.

After that it says something like 'Seen i______' and the date 24.9.97. I'll post a clip of that too in a bit.

The next bit is clear, there is a pre-made stamp which says 'Recalled to Army since May 26 1900 and then further details about his service in Africa and eventual death.

I'm just wondering what you think of the clip and what it might mean in that context?

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 21:43 BST (UK) »
Here is the second bit. Looking at it again, I wonder if it says 'sick'. He was certainly an unwell man.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 09:19 BST (UK) »
The previous section claimed that he'd served in India from 24th September 1886 to the 5th of June 1900 and then was sent to Africa. However it also says he served 3 years and 255 days for that, which doesn't add up.

That should read 13 years 255 days, but it doesn't really tie in with the next bit.

Then it says re-engaged, 8.9.97 and then 'Completed a engagement' 23.9.97.

After that it says something like 'Seen i______' and the date 24.9.97. I'll post a clip of that too in a bit.

Service towards his limited engagement (12 years) reckoned from 24/9/1885. So his engagement was completed 23/9/1897 and he was then due for discharge. On 8/9/97 he re-engaged as a Section D reservist and his Section D service reckoned from 24/9/97. So that line reads:

"Sec D reckons from 24.9.97".

As a reservist he was liable for call-up and he was recalled on 26 May 1900.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much ShaunJ. I really appreciate that.