Author Topic: Solomon Tinsky & Dora Friedenberg with son Morris, Russia to England 1895-1898  (Read 812 times)

Offline NicolleGoldman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are there any pre-1901 records of the married couple Solomon Tinsky (b 10 Oct 1872 Gruduv, Russia-Poland) and Dora Tinsky (maiden name Freidenberg, born 17 Dec 1874 Suidalk, Russia) who immigrated from Russia-Poland to England with their oldest son Morris Tinsky (b 9 May 1895 Russia)?  They are Jewish.

Based on the birth dates of their children, they would have come to England after 9 May 1895 and before 5 Sep 1898.

According to family stories, they were leaving Russia on their way to America but only had enough money to get them as far as London, England.  Solomon worked as a tailor to earn the money for the remaining passage, but the family kept growing and it took longer than expected.  I found the source for the second part of their journey -- from Southampton, England, through Ellis Island on 4 Jul 1904.

I have them in the 1901 England Census, residence on Boyd Street, St George in the East, Middlesex, England.  Solomon's occupation is Tailor/Cutter.  Solomon, Dora, and oldest son Morris Tinsky (b 1895) born Russia (Russian Subject).  Their two younger England-born children are in the household.  Harris b 5 Sep 1898 and "Gertie" (later called Kate) b 1900. 

In 1904 the couple had a son Simon or Leskin Tinsky; he died shortly after immigration to the US.

Solomon's father's name was something like Zeskin Tinksy, and both of them were supposedly born Gruduv, Russia-Poland.

Any help with sources before the 1901 England Census is much appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Tinsky & Dora Friedenberg with son Morris, Russia to England 1895-1898
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 07:10 BST (UK) »
Quote -  on Boyd Street, St George in the East, Middlesex,

Surname    First name(s)        District    Vol    Page
Births Mar 1899   (>99%)
Tinsky    Socha        St. Geo. East    1c
Births Jun 1900   (>99%)
Tinsky    Getel        St. Geo. East    1c   I presume this is Gertie ??
Births Jun 1902   (>99%)
Tinsky    Marks        Whitechapel    1c
these 3 look possible other children for Solomon and Dora ????
have a look on familysearch.org for any baptisms
as for Harris b 1905 = I can't find his birth  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Tinsky & Dora Friedenberg with son Morris, Russia to England 1895-1898
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 07:29 BST (UK) »
to answer your question - the only pre 1900 record I can find for a possible is this

Socha Tinsky
England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008

Name:   
Socha Tinsky
Event Date:   
Event Place:   
St. George In The East, London, England
Registration District:   
St. George In The East
Volume:   
1C
Affiliate Line Number:   
Registration Quarter:   
Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration Year:   

but is he / she Solomon and Doras child ??  I am afraid you might have to buy the birth certificate to find out - unless another member can come up with the answer ?? :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Nicolle,

Looks like you've fallen foul of some awful Ancestry transcription errors; Gruduv and Suidalk do not exist.

Fortunately, Dora submitted a typed petition for naturalization in Chicago in 1941. She stated that she had been born in Shtabin (now Sztabin) on the date you have. She had married Solomon there on 15 July 1894. Solomon had been born in "Sachavol", which I suspect is a poor rendering of nearby Sukhovola aka Sukhovol Cуховоль (now Suchowola).

Shtabin was in Suwalki gubernia. Sukhovol, 7 miles to the south, was in Grodno gubernia. Both villages are in northeast Poland, a stone's throw from the Belarus border.

Zeskin was more commonly transliterated as Zyskin or Zuskin, and is a Yiddish nickname for a number of Hebrew names.

The maiden name of Socha Tinksy's mother was Bras; that of Marks Tinsky's mother was Forstach.

UK births with the mother's maiden name Friedenberg or Freidenberg:

Harris Hrinski 1898  D Quarter in ST GEORGE-IN-THE-EAST  Volume 01C  Page 333
Getel Tinsky 1900  J Quarter in ST GEORGE-IN-THE-EAST  Volume 01C  Page 332
Julia Chinsky 1902  S Quarter in MILE END OLD TOWN  Volume 01C  Page 457
Simon Tinski 1904  J Quarter in MILE END OLD TOWN  Volume 01C  Page 475

Justin

Offline NicolleGoldman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 16:47 BST (UK) »
to answer your question - the only pre 1900 record I can find for a possible is this

Socha Tinsky
England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008

Name:   Socha Tinsky
Event Date:   1899
Event Place:   St. George In The East, London, England
Registration District:   St. George In The East
Volume:   1C
Affiliate Line Number:   53
Registration Quarter:   Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration Year:   1899

but is he / she Solomon and Doras child ?? 

The online GRO birth registration index shows mother's maiden name Bras (not Friedenberg).  Also, I'm fairly sure we have accounted for all the children in that family (due to sources and memories). 

But this opens up a possibility... perhaps Solomon Tinsky and family were joining relatives.

This is also another child, Marks Tinsky, registered 1902 Whitechapel with mother's maiden name Forstach.

Offline NicolleGoldman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline NicolleGoldman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 16:59 BST (UK) »
Fortunately, Dora submitted a typed petition for naturalization in Chicago in 1941. She stated that she had been born in Shtabin (now Sztabin) on the date you have. She had married Solomon there on 15 July 1894. Solomon had been born in "Sachavol", which I suspect is a poor rendering of nearby Sukhovola aka Sukhovol Cуховоль (now Suchowola).

Shtabin was in Suwalki gubernia. Sukhovol, 7 miles to the south, was in Grodno gubernia. Both villages are in northeast Poland, a stone's throw from the Belarus border.

Thank you!  That's a big breakthrough.  And thank you for clarifying the place names.  With that information, I just might get somewhere on JewishGen.

I found the image of the index card for Dora Tinsky's 1941 US Naturalization.  How might I see the document that you've seen?

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 17:23 BST (UK) »
It may well be that Socha and Marks were cousins of Morris, Harris, etc. Worth pursuing. I do suspect, however, that Tinsky was a shortened version of the original name. The -sky ending is topological, and there's no such place as Tin.

I had a good look through the JG databases and found very few references to Sztabin. I suspect that the births etc were recorded in the registers of Augustine. Or maybe the records haven't been purchased by JRI-Poland.

The petition for naturalization is also available through ancestry. I'm on my phone at the moment. I'll send you the link when I'm back on my laptop.

Justin