Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 11th May  (Read 794 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 11th May
« on: Wednesday 12 May 21 00:05 BST (UK) »
Yesterday I'd arranged with my friend J to meet for our weekly walk on Thursday as she couldn't make this evening. I had a parcel to return and as it was a lovely morning I decided to walk to the petrol station in the village where I could send it and I'd have a change of scenery going there. There was only one man waiting at the counter, when it came to my turn I commented to the assistant about screen having been removed, she said it fell down! Some sort of protection that was. Turned off through the woods on my way back and across the field.

After lunch I went out to pick up all the petals from the tulips that had been battered by the rain yesterday and to deadhead them. I ended up doing lots of weeding, the sun was shining and it was hot on my back. Then I did some more gardening in the back garden, my poor little plants were up to their knees in water in their trays. Did some more weeding, they're popping up everywhere, also tried to edge the borders but the soil was so wet that it was sticking to the edging spade. Later on I heard a rumble of thunder, dark clouds were gathering. Tidied up and came inside, not long before the rain arrived, it was light at first but got heavier. Around 5pm there was a deluge, it's just as well that J and I weren't going for our walk tonight.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 11th May
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 00:40 BST (UK) »
Good job you didn’t go for your walk today given the rain! Lots to do in your garden though!
You’d have thought the screen would have been put up again given the protection it provides!

Today was certainly a mixed day weather wise!
Whilst having breakfast reading my emails I noticed a message via Ancestry had come in... on reading it I discovered a 3/4th cousin who has found me through DNA match (178cM over 10 segments) on my Dads side of the family... I was so excited as I’ve not had any matches ( as far as I can tell... it’s a minefield to me) from that side of the family... his gt grandmother was my Dads aunt.... so I messaged straight back and have had another reply and hope we can each learn a bit more about our family.... can’t wait to tell my other cousin she’ll be delighted too...
OH was having a meeting regarding the pub... another application for change of use gone in again...sliced up some tea bread for them and plate of biscuits!
On my way up the lane for our Tuesday coffee I dropped a card off to a neighbour whose just had a hip operation...
We sat in H’s garden slight spit spot of rain and then got bit heavier.. I’d taken an umbrella with me so I put it up and H gave C and S one each!....should have taken a photo of the four of us with our umbrellas up sitting in the rain 😂😂. It soon passed and the sun came out and we put them away!
By about 12.30 we decided to leave as it was just starting to rain again... just got inside the front door when it rained quite hard!
After lunch OH was busy composing their joint letter of objection to the planning dept and I went to do some ironing... C had told me about a programme The Glamorous history of make up, Georgians, Victorians, 1920’s on iPlayer, very interesting and terrifying to see what they used to create make up... in the Georgians case mouse skin for eyebrows... 😳😳😬😱...
Made a wedding card for OH’s niece whose just got married...
Had the most torrential downpour with hail stones bouncing off the roof quite staggering... cleared up and the sun came out... bizarre weather...
Dinner was Thai green curry...sauce from freezer as I’d made a batch last time we had it..
Watched last couple of episodes of The Unforgotten....

Well tomorrow is Mass Observation Day... don’t suppose it’ll be illuminating but will still write it up and compare with last years if I can find where I filed it!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 08:01 BST (UK) »
Interesting to note the rain was pretty much England wide yesterday.
How exciting you got some DNA contact from Ancestry Caroline... I would have been jumping up and down too.
We had our dental check ups yesterday, an older lady from Germany, with perfect command of English. SO impressive. Her accent really took me back to my parents and Grandmothers!  :D 
We both have teeth that broke during the lock down.... (I wouldn't mind if we had been eating toffee, but we haven't,) and so we have treatment appointments in a couple of weeks.  But I must say everyone was very enthusiastic and efficient.
I was supposed to be meeting 3 others for a walk after the dentist, via returning a book to the library. Got a message early to say one had cancelled due to ill health, then another cancelled due to grandma duties, and then the third said she had got in her car and the heavens opened so she cancelled too. 
Totally "stood up", I trotted round to the library, and then checked on a craft group meeting which I hoped was taking place in the area outside the cafe, as we hadn't had any rain in town. 7 had said they hoped to attend, so I hadn't intended to, but actually only 4 turned up, so I sat and had a coffee with them.  They had already been chatting away for an hour or more, and all looked happy to be in company, despite needing to keep their coats on. 
I walked home in bright sunshine, snapping flower photos for chums along the way.  We have lily-of-the-valley, wisteria and lilac out down here.  It is such a lovely time of year.
After lunch the rain started, and what a deluge, with some thunder!  Massive muddles everywhere when we walked along the prom later. 4 ghost ships at anchor.
I constructed a visual, linear family tree for my chum while H was teaching his on-line sessions.
Watched an episode of Silent Witness, (so many well known faces,) and stayed up for another round of the make up artist knock out competition, which I find fascinating.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 09:02 BST (UK) »
We all seem to be having weird weather, warm sunshine then sudden heavy rain, it's like being in the Caribbean in the rainy season! Not!  ;D Pleased to hear it didn't scupper your meeting Caroline, what a shame about your walk MH but good to be able to get together with the craft group.
Great news about the DNA match Caroline, hope you hear something soon. And the long awaited dental appointment MH, what a relief.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 09:06 BST (UK) »
Indeed yes, Roobarb.
All of that.
Thanks.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 14:37 BST (UK) »
I live in Ipswich, Suffolk and was dry and sunny all day albeit with a stiff breeze (good for washing).   Not a drop of rain all day.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 14:57 BST (UK) »
I live in Ipswich, Suffolk and was dry and sunny all day albeit with a stiff breeze (good for washing).   Not a drop of rain all day.  Annette

Lovely to have an entirely sunny, dry day, Annette. 
I hope it was a good thing for you?  :-\
Most places, gardeners are crying out for rain......

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 18:49 BST (UK) »
I blame Louisa Maud.  :) ;D ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 19:21 BST (UK) »
Tee hee.....
No pointing of fingers pleased. :)