Author Topic: need help finding court/trial documents -William Harris  (Read 886 times)

Offline aithne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
need help finding court/trial documents -William Harris
« on: Wednesday 12 May 21 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have been struggling to find a particular ancestor for almost 20 years.
there's been a couple of threads posted about him previous by other people but those were all dead ends. I'm at the point where i can't accept anything as fact because none of it matches anything else.

William Harris alias Paulet was born apparently Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire 3 April 1831. This info comes from his convict records, some of which have him listed as William Paulet. One document lists his father as William Paulet, and says "Harris of Pembroke Mountain".
His convict documents say he was tried at Hereford Assizes in 1847 but I have no idea where to find these documents, if they even exist. I've looked in the newspaper of the day and although there were court listing for some people for the same day, he wasn't listed at all.

I guess I don't know whether to search for him as William Harris (even Harries), or William Paulet.

The Native Welfare files for his son Arthur list William Harris as having a father William Harris, Captain of a barque "Flora". I haven't been able to trace that, either. I found a Masters cert for a William Harries b 1811 but that didn't turned out to be him either. The Native Welfare files list his mother as Charlotte but we have no idea where that information came from in the first place.

I suppose I should probably mention there was suspicion he was Romani, as his name and occupation "tramper" suggests it but we haven't been able to confirm.

His death certificate contains no information either.

I guess I need ideas on how to continue searching for him or where to find those court documents as I think they're the only way we can find the next clue that we need.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Leitch, Bain, Buchan, McNamara, Matheson, McRay, Harman, Harris

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: need help finding court/trial documents -William Harris
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 06:12 BST (UK) »
In the series "England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892", there is a William Harris tried at Hereford County Assizes in 1847 on July 28.  His age is listed as 19, so a few years off.  He was sentenced to 10 years transport for burglary.

If that could be him, then you could read through https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/criminal-trials-assize-courts-1559-1971/  to see if you can find some help there?

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 06:40 BST (UK) »
Hereford Times 09 October 1847

Removal of Transports -- On Monday last the  following convicts were removed from our county gaol to Milbank:
Geo. Preece, for sheepstealing (ten years' transportation); Wm. Bethell, for house-breaking, (ditto); Thos. Jackson, burglary (ditto); Wm. Harris, burglary (ditto);   etc etc

The convict record I am looking at says his father, William Paulet lived in Haverfordwest, but the Pembroke Mountain Harris is an uncle "Hughty".   Thinking they meant Uncle Hugh T. Harris?  Or I am totally reading his scribbled name wrong!)

Offline aithne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 07:34 BST (UK) »
In the series "England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892", there is a William Harris tried at Hereford County Assizes in 1847 on July 28.  His age is listed as 19, so a few years off.  He was sentenced to 10 years transport for burglary.

If that could be him, then you could read through https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/criminal-trials-assize-courts-1559-1971/  to see if you can find some help there?

Thank you, but i looked at this a few times. The records aren’t digitized, and i live in Australia so i can’t look at them in person, plus with covid border closures it’s just not possible.

Offline aithne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hereford Times 09 October 1847

Removal of Transports -- On Monday last the  following convicts were removed from our county gaol to Milbank:
Geo. Preece, for sheepstealing (ten years' transportation); Wm. Bethell, for house-breaking, (ditto); Thos. Jackson, burglary (ditto); Wm. Harris, burglary (ditto);   etc etc

The convict record I am looking at says his father, William Paulet lived in Haverfordwest, but the Pembroke Mountain Harris is an uncle "Hughty".   Thinking they meant Uncle Hugh T. Harris?  Or I am totally reading his scribbled name wrong!)

My sister also read it as Hughty, but i have a print out of the document and I’m pretty sure the word is Highly. But now looking at the word poverty above that’s how the person wrote the t with the - over the next letter.
I’ll investigate Hugh Harris. Thank you.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 07:51 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you need more information on his possible father, William Paulet?  I have found a very likely candidate, but don't want to type it all out if you already have it?

He's a mariner, married to a Harris.

Offline aithne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 08:14 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you need more information on his possible father, William Paulet?  I have found a very likely candidate, but don't want to type it all out if you already have it?

He's a mariner, married to a Harris.

I haven’t found much on his father at all. I found a William Harris with his Masters certificate but after following that for a couple of days, turned out it wasn’t him.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 08:49 BST (UK) »
If the William Paulet I am looking at is the right fellow, William Jr. never appears in the census with him, but as Jr. is a Harris, he could have been born to Miss Harris before they wed, and raised by this Uncle Hugh, grandparents or the mystery Charlotte Harris, or William had a wild night out.... or.. it's not the right one!  I have had no luck in finding William and Ann's marriage.

The notation of "alias Paulet" does not mean that your William was actually using an alias; only that he is associated with two surnames, so an out of wedlock birth, OR mother remarried is always a possibility.

The spelling of Paulet ranges with the number of L's and Ts':  Paulet  /Paullet/ Paullett etc.

The William I am looking at was born 1800, .  Index of the 1851:

Name:    William Paulett   Occ Mariner
Estimated Birth Year:    abt 1800
Relation:    Head
Spouse's Name:    Anne Paulett
Where born:    Stanton, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Civil Parish or Township:    Steynton
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Maps:    
View related Ecclesiastical Parish
Town:    Milford
County/Island:    Pembrokeshire
Registration District:    Haverfordwest
Sub-registration District:    Milford
ED, institution, or vessel:    1f
Piece:    2477
Folio:    63
Page Number:    8
Household Schedule Number:    36

Name    Age
William Paulett    51  Occ Mariner
Anne Paulett    50
Amelia Paulett    20
Walter Paulett    16
Elizabeth Paulett    10
Ellin Paulett    9

Looking up Ellen at the GRO gives mmn as Harris:
POULLET, ELLEN        HARRIS     
GRO Reference: 1842  J Quarter in HAVERFORDWEST  Volume 26  Page 647

There is a daughter, Jane, who married William Lewis Davies.  She gives father as William Paulet, mariner.  In the 1881 census, she has her widowed mother, Ann, age 87, living with them.

Possible death for Ann:
Name:    Anne Paulet
Death Age:    87
Record Type:    Burial
Birth Date:    1796
Death Date:    abt 1883
Burial Date:    14 Jul 1883
Burial Place:    Pembroke Dock, St John, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Page number:    30

In 1841 this family was living at Rose Cottage, Steynton, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales.
William   Paulet   Male   40   1801   Pembrokeshire, Wales  Occ Mariner
Anne   Paulet   Female   35   1806   Pembrokeshire, Wales
Jane   Paulet   Female   19   1822   Pembrokeshire, Wales
Anne   Paulet   Female   14   1827   Pembrokeshire, Wales
Amelia   Paulet   Female   12   1829   Pembrokeshire, Wales
Walter   Paulet   Male   5   1836   Pembrokeshire, Wales
Elizabeth   Paulet   Female   0   1841   Pembrokeshire, Wales

At one point, I think I saw the whole family in 1861, but now I can't get find it again.  If you think this family could be of interest, I will dig through my history.
Meanwhile, I will go scour for  Jr. in the 1841, and hope he shows up with a Hugh, or a Charlotte!

Offline aithne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 May 21 14:49 BST (UK) »
If the William Paulet I am looking at is the right fellow, William Jr. never appears in the census with him, but as Jr. is a Harris, he could have been born to Miss Harris before they wed, and raised by this Uncle Hugh, grandparents or the mystery Charlotte Harris, or William had a wild night out.... or.. it's not the right one!  I have had no luck in finding William and Ann's marriage.

The notation of "alias Paulet" does not mean that your William was actually using an alias; only that he is associated with two surnames, so an out of wedlock birth, OR mother remarried is always a possibility.

The spelling of Paulet ranges with the number of L's and Ts':  Paulet  /Paullet/ Paullett etc.

The William I am looking at was born 1800, .  Index of the 1851:

Name:    William Paulett   Occ Mariner
Estimated Birth Year:    abt 1800
Relation:    Head
Spouse's Name:    Anne Paulett
Where born:    Stanton, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Civil Parish or Township:    Steynton
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Maps:    
View related Ecclesiastical Parish
Town:    Milford
County/Island:    Pembrokeshire
Registration District:    Haverfordwest
Sub-registration District:    Milford
ED, institution, or vessel:    1f
Piece:    2477
Folio:    63
Page Number:    8
Household Schedule Number:    36

Name    Age
William Paulett    51  Occ Mariner
Anne Paulett    50
Amelia Paulett    20
Walter Paulett    16
Elizabeth Paulett    10
Ellin Paulett    9

Looking up Ellen at the GRO gives mmn as Harris:
POULLET, ELLEN        HARRIS     
GRO Reference: 1842  J Quarter in HAVERFORDWEST  Volume 26  Page 647

There is a daughter, Jane, who married William Lewis Davies.  She gives father as William Paulet, mariner.  In the 1881 census, she has her widowed mother, Ann, age 87, living with them.

Possible death for Ann:
Name:    Anne Paulet
Death Age:    87
Record Type:    Burial
Birth Date:    1796
Death Date:    abt 1883
Burial Date:    14 Jul 1883
Burial Place:    Pembroke Dock, St John, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Page number:    30

In 1841 this family was living at Rose Cottage, Steynton, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales.
William   Paulet   Male   40   1801   Pembrokeshire, Wales  Occ Mariner
Anne   Paulet   Female   35   1806   Pembrokeshire, Wales
Jane   Paulet   Female   19   1822   Pembrokeshire, Wales
Anne   Paulet   Female   14   1827   Pembrokeshire, Wales
Amelia   Paulet   Female   12   1829   Pembrokeshire, Wales
Walter   Paulet   Male   5   1836   Pembrokeshire, Wales
Elizabeth   Paulet   Female   0   1841   Pembrokeshire, Wales

At one point, I think I saw the whole family in 1861, but now I can't get find it again.  If you think this family could be of interest, I will dig through my history.
Meanwhile, I will go scour for  Jr. in the 1841, and hope he shows up with a Hugh, or a Charlotte!

Blimey! Thank you. That’s amazing. Sorry i couldn’t reply sooner, i was in a patisseries class. Here, have some vegan cookies i just made.
I will investigate these leads tomorrow, i really hope it’s his family.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I’ve been struggling to get anywhere on Ancestry