Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday, May 12th  (Read 807 times)

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday, May 12th
« on: Thursday 13 May 21 01:09 BST (UK) »
My first time start a diary daily entry.  Hope I am doing this right!
Lovely day here today, went up to 16, blue skies all day.
This morning we went to a garden centre, they are open during the lockdown, most of the time we were outside, anyway, everyone masked.  Bought 5 hydrangeas (3 dark pink, 2 white) and 4 yellow and orange (striped) day lilies.  I wanted to buy a hibiscus or two but they were $249 Cdn, way too much!  We have two we got at a church sale for a few dollars. 
The clerk warned us to wait another week to plant re frost warnings, no problem with that.
We then called an order into one of my favourite restaurants - a Chinese buffet style, but they serve everything, wonderful deal normally, more expensive now, and it is takeout only.  It was delicious just the same, and we have enough for at least another meal.  Funnily enough, the lady on the desk, who told me she takes care of all the plants there, had two hibiscus in the foyer, in full sun. 
Got a package of books from a friend yesterday, will keep me busy for a while.
They’ve discontinued AstraSeneca here...what now?  That was what I got three weeks ago.  I need a second one!
We watched “Grace” based on Peter James’s books, police procedural set in Brighton.  Nice to watch about an area I am a little familiar with.  They mentioned Uckfield where I stayed as a kid, we had family there.  Both OH and I have read his books.  OH liked the idea of beach huts, I remember being in my relative’s back in 60’s on Brighton beach.  I don’t know if they owned it or rented.
Some readers might remember we found a set of keys at the park, maybe a week or more ago.  OH went for a walk in that area and the keys were still there, on the picnic bench!
Not much else to report. Weather “supposed” to be nice for the next two weeks. We shall see.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday, May 12th
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 May 21 08:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, you've done it right Diana.  :)
Always good to have a mooch round a garden centre I think, but what an astronomical price for the hibiscus! They are lovely, they remind me of places abroad but not lovely enough to pay that much! A bargain with the Chinese meal though when it's enough for two meals.
Worrying news about the Astra Zeneca vaccine, I know they've been doing tests with mixing the vaccines but at the moment the practice is to stick to the one type, certainly in the UK anyway. I hope they get things sorted out soon to give you some peace of mind.

My day on Wednesday:

Another nice start to the day, out for my usual walk. The grass on the field was cut yesterday but already the numerous dandelions were popping up again, there seems to be such a lot this year.

My friend A called round to collect the two bagfuls of books I had for the charity shop where she volunteers a couple of mornings a week. I pointed out the ones that she might enjoy reading, they'll all reach their destination in the end. Gave her some of the rudbeckia plants I've been growing. Later I did some gardening, I took a chance and cut the back lawn and tidied the edges. Then I sat reading in the sun for a while, had to change into a cooler top.

Late afternoon I went for my dental appointment to have my filling replaced. I really felt the injection, it seemed to go right to the top of my head and down to my toes. I've never been bothered about going to the dentist but I was glad when it was over. Back home, couldn't have a cup of tea, had a chat with my friend L about the art projects, the portrait and the next one that starts with a demo on Friday morning.

Watched the Sewing Bee, I was amazed that some of the items turned out for the transformation challenge weren't even recognisable for what they were supposed to be and one which the judges greatly admired had what was to me a glaring error but they didn't seem to spot it. I thought that the person who had to leave would have stayed longer but they have made some pretty poor things lately.

Have just finished my bathtime paperback Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, the author of Gone Girl, apparently she wrote this one first. I like thrillers but I thought this was horrible, some parts of it made me feel sick, particularly towards the end. And the final paragraph of the book begins "It was almost May 12"......
 :o :o
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 May 21 08:13 BST (UK) »
What a worry for you Diana. Why not make enquiries about your second vac, to try and gather some info? Might alleviate stress levels if you can speak to someone at your health centre?
Your visit to garden centre sounds lovely, and lots of new plants taken home.

I agree Roobarb, as usual.  ;)

A beautiful early start here yesterday, so I took an early stroll in hot sunshine, 4 ghost ships in the Bay.
It clouded over quite soon, but H and I had several hours wandering around Cockington Court... the apple orchard is starting to blossom, and it was very peaceful there. Azalea trees in bloom, and lots of wildlife to see.
Rain began as we returned home, but we had done enough walking, so it didn't matter that much. Still raining now in fact!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 May 21 10:36 BST (UK) »
Diana I am amazed that hibiscus grow in snowy Canada! They grow well here and we are sub tropical! They’re not an easy plant to grow, and tend to get a lot of pesties. I can’t believe the prices there.

An idea of prices here:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=Hibiscus&sort=BoostOrder&page=1

There have been several more people with blood clots related to the AZ vaccination in our news. All are ok. I’m seeing a bit of a trend - most of them are men, though there was one woman who died. We weren’t told the details - I wishe they would say if she had an underlying medical condition. It doesn’t instil confidence. Our government has permission to manufacture AZ here. The Moderna one is going through the approval processes at the moment.

I bet you are glad that dentist visit is over Roobarb. I think that the injection can be painful depending on various factors - the skill of the dentist, whereabouts in the gum the injection is given, how much they pump into you, and I think if you are relaxed (difficult!) it doesn’t hurt as much. They are just my theories having had many fillings!

MH, the blossom sounds beautiful. It’s a lovely time of year in the UK.

Wednesday for me was a dog sitting day and fairly uneventful. Daughter’s house was fairly clean and tidy - the dog, not so much.  ;D About 4pm I started to hear reports of a storm heading our way. By 4:30 the sky was black. Daughter’s partner told me he was heading home and said I could leave, which I did. Made it before the rain which wasn’t as bad as expected in our area.

Of course after it stopped, dog wanted her usual walk, so I told her she would only get a short walk. She said that a short walk is better than no walk at all, thanks Mum.  ;D

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 May 21 12:35 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, sorry to hear about your painful injection at the dentist.  Always find that’s the worst part of the procedure.  My bottom jaw does not freeze easily so have have lots of freezing put in, dread having to have anything done there.  It’s been a few years since I’ve needed a filling, touch wood.
Mowsehouse, it is all over the news here about the AstraZeneca, six provinces have removed it.  I do have a phone consult with my GP on Wednesday, as does OH, think she is checking in with patients she hasn’t seen since Covid started.  I will ask her about it, but doubt she will know much. It’s a wait and see approach at this point.
OH put the new plants in the garage last night, but no evidence of frost this morning, though it is coldish, they did say more likely rural areas.  We hope to get to another garden centre next week, will see what the prices are there. The ones I saw yesterday were quite established, probably 5 feet.  We generally call them Rose of Sharon here, a pretty name, I think. 
Ruskie, snow is not the problem for growing here, in fact farmers want snow cover early in the season, as it insulates plants and provides moisture.  The extreme cold is the killer for exposed plants.
Not too far south of here they grow tobacco, and the Niagara region is a huge fruit growing area, but they have gone heavily to grapes for wine.  Most of the wine I drink (white or rose) comes from Ontario, but then, I am no wine expert 😃, I just know what I like!
I think, if memory serves, most of the blood clots are among younger people.  They have mentioned women on birth control pills too.  Personally, the odds seem so small, that I would be much more worried about getting Covid.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 May 21 13:13 BST (UK) »
Glad to know you will be speaking to your GP Diana..... may I suggest you write a list of questions before she calls, as I guarantee I would forget something crucial.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 May 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
Glad to know you will be speaking to your GP Diana..... may I suggest you write a list of questions before she calls, as I guarantee I would forget something crucial.

Yes, I will be doing that this morning as I have to phone later and give the office manager an idea of what I want to ask the doctor.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 May 21 15:35 BST (UK) »
I hope the exercise proves fruitful for you Diana. :D

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 May 21 15:42 BST (UK) »
I hope the exercise proves fruitful for you Diana. :D

Actually wires got crossed, she scheduled me for a bone density test for next month, didn’t want to know what I am  going to ask the doc.  Have to go to one of the hospitals for the bone density.  Haven’t had one for years, don’t think I need it, but just as a precaution I guess.
Oh well, my list of discussion points are ready!