Author Topic: Irish Census  (Read 1516 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Census
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 May 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
Family Search is very much like Ancestry,it's very American centric,so all names/places will revert to the American version of it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 May 21 12:00 BST (UK) »
Family Search is very much like Ancestry,it's very American centric,so all names/places will revert to the American version of it.

Sometimes they just move from one part of Ireland to another  ::)
A whole chunk of records from Ballymoney, County Antrim for years have shown up as Ballymoney, Cork but it has gotten worse more recently.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MOCHARA1329

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 May 21 12:43 BST (UK) »
As always thanks for the replies, it did bamboozle me I must admit as I know the family were living Louth. Kind Regards
(Arthurs, Mc Shane in Tyrone)-
(Arthurs, Murphy, Keenan, Boyle, Mackle, Agnew
Mc Conville, Mc Combe Belfast)
(O'Hanlon, Hanratty, Mulholland, Mc Namee, Dobbs, Murphy, Lamb, Murphy in Dundalk/Louth)
(Darragh Belfast/Derry)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 May 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
As others have said ancestry/FS are American and attach American logic and that is often  town/county named the same  in North America.... that should give you a clue about lack of verifcation of data they advertise
ANY information online is ONLY ever a clue, UNLESS you can see a scan of the real record, so ANY information use as a clue and search for the real record before you trust it.in so far as 1901/1911 Irish census it is free online and all scanned real records...
FS particularly collects 'data' at one time it was called IGI and everyone knew it was full of errors, unchecked and not verified and LDS don't beleive people died so there used to be no burial informtion either, instead the LDS baptised them on death into the LDS.... they now realise to make more money people want burial information and FS have taken their IGI and renamed it as 'collections', same information, same collected, unverified data, same errors...and all now sold to ancestry and the other commercial genealogy companies
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend