Author Topic: The Stevenson Family  (Read 437 times)

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Stevenson Family
« on: Thursday 13 May 21 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

I have at least 4 DNA matches through this one couple (it's my mother's test):

Malcolm Stevenson (1922-2007 or 2009) m. Doris Olive Broadby (1925-2015)

They were both born in Australia, as were all their descendants.

My mother's closest match is their daughter (Ms X) with whom my mother shares 47 cM across 3 segments. Ancestry estimates that they are 3rd cousins so they possibly share a pair of great-great-grandparents. She also matches with her daughter (I think, based on the surname) and her nephew. All of Ms X's great-grandparents through her mother Doris are Australian, born and bred, and all her great-great-grandparents got married in Australia so it seems unlikely that my mother is related to her mother - we have no Australian ancestors.

I am now trying to look into Malcolm's background but I have hit a brick wall. On Ms X's tree she lists Malcolm's parents as Malcolm Stevenson and Elizabeth Sanderland but her sister's tree lists them as Malcolm Stevenson and Caroline Mary Sandland. I can find nothing on Malcolm Snr. and I don't know which mother is correct  ??? I am hoping to get back to Malcolm Jnr.'s great-grandparents (at least) to see if I recognise any surnames or regions.

Would appreciate any help! I didn't put this under Australia as I don't know whether Malcolm Jnr.'s parents were born there or here in England.

Queenie  :)

Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Stevenson Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 May 21 23:21 BST (UK) »
Looking at this website:

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/index.php?option=com_gsa&view=gsa&layout=essearch&collection_id=marriage&page_no=1&sort_by=&sort_direction=asc&Surname=stevenson&GivenName=Malcolm%2C&year_from=&accuracy=

Malcolm Stevenson married in 1920 in Burra district to Caroline Mary Sandland (other information only available to members).

Three children are registered in Adelaide district to Malcolm Stevenson, including Malcom John in 1922.

One tree online says Malcolm senior was also born in South Australia in 1891 and Caroline Mary Sandland in South Australia in 1894.

Registration of birth of a Malcolm Stevenson in Adelaide district in 1891 son of Walter Hunter Stevenson.
Registration of birth of a Caroline Mary Sandland in Burra district in 1894 daughter of John Chesters Sandland.

Registration of marriage of a Walter Hunter Stevenson in Adelaide district in 1878 to a Harriet Elizabeth (surname not on index).
Registraiton of death of a Walter Hunter Stevenson in Adelaide district in 1930 and 1949. There was a birth for a Walter Hunter Stevenson junior too.

Registration of marriage of a John Chesters Sandland in Burra district in 1883 to a Caroline McBride.
Registration of death of a John Chesters Sandland in Burra district in 1909.

From FreeBMD, a John Chesters Sandland birth registered in Sep quarter 1845 in Wem registration district. Mother's maiden name: Cooper.

Other birth registered with John Chesters Sandland as father:
John Leslie Sandland 1886 in Burra district
Bertram Cameron 1891 in Burra district
Robert Chesters 1888 in Burra district
Myrtle McBride 1896 in Burra district
Morton Reginald 1889 in Burra district
Kathleen Bessie 1884 in Burra district
Nellie Gertrude in 1899 in Burra district

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 May 21 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, decor! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Time to do some digging!

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 May 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, decor! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Time to do some digging!

Enjoy the digging.

Familysearch has this:
John Chesters Sandland baptised 13 Aug 1845 Longden, Shropshire son of John & Sarah
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 May 21 18:05 BST (UK) »
Just for info, John chester had a sister baptised 16.6.1844 in the same church with same parents. Their address was Loppington Hall, an impressive property, can be found on Mr Google.

John

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 May 21 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, guys. Looks like John Sandland (John Chesters' father) was a farmer so maybe they were tenants there? Farmed the land?

I don't even know if I am looking at the right people  ??? I have traced Ms X's ancestors back into the 1700s and I can't see a link. I find it hard to believe that it is further back than that as my mum is a DNA match to no fewer than SIX Australians who all appear to be linked through this couple as 3 of them I know for certain are descendants of the Stevensons and all 6 match me and each other with cMs ranging from 67 to 27. The 67 man's father was adopted so that's a dead end.

I have managed to track down one of my mum's second cousins (301 cM) and she is related to all of them too so I know that the Australians must be related to my mum through her great-grandparents, Laurie & Eleanor. You may have read one of my other posts about Laurie but he was abandoned by his biological parents and I am trying to track them down through DNA. The problem here is I only have their names to go off, not their ages or places of birth.

Eleanor's parents were from Thatcham, Berkshire and Ramsbury, Wiltshire, respectively and she has no connections to anywhere else but Laurie's ancestors could be from virtually anywhere...