Author Topic: Death of Eliza Martha Watterson, nee Martin, 1902, Irwin, Bonneville Co., Idaho  (Read 6376 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
A new development regarding the initial object of this posting - Eliza Martha Watterson nee Martin.
I found a family tree online that says the Leonard Watterson who was married to Eliza remarried in Nov 1860 to Rachel Martin nee Watterson. I believe this tree is correct because the two youngest children on this tree  born to Leonard and Eliza were Leonard 1853 and William 1858, and I find Leonard and Rachel in Glasgow Scotland in 1861 with sons Lennie age 8 and William age 3. Can't be children of their marriage as Rachel and Leonard were only married in Nov 1860. So now looking for Eliza's death abt 1859 in Ireland. Will have to be a church record as online deaths only start in 1864.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Absolutely great, well done Peggy.  :)

Daughter from first marriage -

Perhaps this was the Idaho connection.  - Jane Watterson (daughter of Leonard W Waterson and Eliza Martin) 23 November 1844 Leanomorrow, Derry, Ireland - 27 December 1908 Idaho Falls, Bonneville, Idaho.
Father Leonard W Watterson - Mother Eliza Martha Martin - Spouse Hugh Caldwell (Sr) Martin
Jane married Hugh Caldwell Martin. (See reply 50 - gives marriage date - 18 June 1863)

1871 Scotland Census Raploch Lancashire.

Hugh C Martin   36   Head
Jane Martin 28   Wife
Allan Martin 6   Son
Elesa Martin 4   Daur (Daughter)
Joseph H Martin 2   Son
Jannet Martin 1mo   Daur (Daughter)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

1880 Evanston, Uinta, Wyoming.

Hugh C. Martin 45   Self (Head) Born Scotland. Labourer.
Jane Martin 34   Wife. Born Ireland.
Allen Martin   15   Son. Born Scotland.
Eliza E Martin 13   Daughter. Born Scotland.
Joseph Martin 10   Son. Born Scotland.
Jennette Martin 8   Daughter. Born Scotland.
Agnes Martin 6   Daughter. Born Scotland.
Martha Martin 5   Daughter. Born Wyoming.
Hugh Martin 3   Son. Born Wyoming.
Sandy Martin 1   Son. Born Wyoming.

Jeanette was Jeanette Osburn/Osborne Martin - 10 October 1870 Hamilton Lanark.
Allen was Allen Osborne Martin -

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

1900 census Higham, Bingham, Idaho.

Hugh C Martin   65   Head. Married 36 years.
Jane W Martin 55   Wife. Married 1864. Had 10 children. 9 still living.
Joseph S Martin 31   Son 
Hugh C Martin 23   Son
Alexander W Martin 21   Son
Margaret B Martin 16   Daughter

Joseph was Joseph Smith Martin 8 September 1868)

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Millennium File

Name Hugh Caldwell (Sr) Martin Birth Date 30 Nov 1834 Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scottland
Death Date 26 May 1903  Swan Valley, Bonneville, Idaho.
Marriage Date 18 Jun 1863
Father George Leadley Martin - Mother Janet Martin Osborne - Spouse Jane Watterson
Children Hugh Caldwell (Jr) Martin
Spouse Father Leonard W Watterson Spouse Mother Eliza Martha Martin.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sandra, I am absolutely blown away by what you have uncovered. You are incredible. Now I am wondering if Eliza did not die before 1860 but she and Leonard separated and he remarried. I found Leonard and his second wife Rachel Martin nee Watterson in Scotland in 1861 and then I found Rachel's death in Glasgow, Scotland May 4, 1869. Before death, Rachel and Leonard had two children Mary Ann Watterson Oct 21, 1861 and Richard Aug 25, 1863. Then Leonard must have returned to Ireland as I don't find him in Scotland in 1871. He was a lemonade salesman when Rachel died. Rachel was 38 which is exactly what I had calculated so born abt 1831 to John Watterson and Mary Sands.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The implication is there that Eliza died in Idaho even though they have her husband as Leonard Martin. I looked for Eliza in 1900 with Jane and the Martin family but Eliza wasn't with them and doesn't show up on familysearch on her own in 1900.
Eliza's parents were Alexander Martin and Jean/Jane Leadley whereas Hugh's parents were George Leadley Martin and Janet Osborn. Hmmm.