Author Topic: Boon earthenware dealer/ hawker roots  (Read 709 times)

Offline Sophieone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boon earthenware dealer/ hawker roots
« on: Friday 14 May 21 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I would be really really grateful if anyone can share any information they may have that would help to solve a family mystery!

I am looking for information on my maternal grandma’s great great grandad, Thomas Boon, born 1799 and married to a lady caller Jane. He and his family are listed as hawkers and earthenware dealers in various documents. Family legend is that this man was a foundling adopted by gypsies and possibly from Scandinavia originally. Having seen that he was a hawker living in Manchester and then finally Liverpool I had dismissed this- before learning that hawker and earthenware dealer is synonymous with gypsy/ traveller.

Relatives have said that he may have come from the Staffordshire potteries. I have recently bought a book about the family trees of Francis and Mary Clayton as there is mention of a Boon in there. The book mentions a Mary Boon as being a child of gypsies under Mary Ann Clayton but no other information. I don’t understand what this relationship is between Mary Ann and Mary Boon is. If anyone does I’d be really grateful if they could let me know. These people seemed to be based in Northamptonshire, where I also found info about Boons previously but dismissed it initially.

Anyway, if you have got this far, thank you for reading and apologies for such a long post! This has been bugging me for years and the further I get in gathering info the more confused I get!

Thank you

Sophie

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Boon earthenware dealer/ hawker roots
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 21 11:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

I am not related to the Boon family but perhaps if you give us a bit more information we may be able to help you.   

You mention Thomas Boon born 1799 -
Where do you have him in 1851/61.
Could you please give details of his children, names and where/when were they born
Do census give his place of birth
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 May 21 11:43 BST (UK) »
OK -He has sons William baptised Manchester September 1823 (Fathers occ Potter) & Charles baptised Manchester 1829 (Fathers occ Earthenware dealer)

In 1841 Thomas is with the children in Manchester
HO107/573 bk12 f6 p7
He is age 50 Not bn in Lancashire occ Pottery Dealer

Offline Sophieone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 May 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks so much for getting back to me- and for looking into this- it’s much appreciated.

Thomas’s son Charles (born 1829) was my grandma’s grandad. Charles married Catherine Byrne, an Irish Catholic lady from Cork, and apparently Thomas disapproved of this.

Charles and Catherine  settled in Liverpool and opened a linoleum shop. I am ok from this point, pretty much, but Thomas’s history is harder to pin down. I was wondering whether there was any information- perhaps just anecdotal-  about Boons being gypsies/ travellers that would lend any credibility to the information that’s been passed down by relatives.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 May 21 18:05 BST (UK) »
Did he remarry in 1846 Liverpool to Elizabeth Scales a widow.  His occupation is a Hawker and his father is noted as Joseph Boon occ Hawker.

Offline Sophieone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 May 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for this- I didn’t think he remarried but looking at this he could’ve done! I’ll look into it. There’s not much info about Jane Boon so maybe she died young. Thank you again for your help.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 May 21 13:19 BST (UK) »
I think this may be Thomas who married Elizabeth, he is lodging with Thomas Gilsmare
1851 Liverpool
HO107 /2178 Folio. 707 Page 25

Thomas Boone   Married 60   Dealer In Delph Ware   born Derby, Derbyshire
Elizabeth   Boone 50   Dealer In Delph Ware   bn Ireland
John   Seale  20   Dealer In Delph Ware   bn Ireland
Mary   Seale 22   Dealer In Delph Ware   bn Ireland
Thomas Born   Visitor 17   Rag Dealer bn Liverpool, Lancashire
Margaret   Seales Visitor   20   Dress Maker   bn Ireland