Author Topic: Has anyone used Family Tree DNA?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline MsHistoryMystery

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Has anyone used Family Tree DNA?
« on: Friday 14 May 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
Has anyone used the site Family Tree DNA.com?  I am wondering if there is a way to cross reference Y-DNA results from this site with any other sites like Ancestry.com etc?  Their website is not very user friendly!
McGurk, Cushnahan, Mallon, McKenna, Donnelly, McDonald

Offline itzmi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone used Family Tree DNA?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 21 18:25 BST (UK) »
I took ydna tests there.2 project managers give me invaluable help.Ancestry tests are autosomal.I dont think cross reference is possible between Ancestry and FTDNA.

Offline SCantwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 21 01:39 BST (UK) »
Ancestry does not allow any uploading of DNA results from other companies.  I would say the best thing to do is to test with Ancestry and then upload your results to any of the other companies.  I had my DNA done with FTDNA as my cousin originally had his Y DNA done through them about 10 years ago and his Autosomal done after I did. I have since uploaded my results to My Heritage and GedMatch.  Am now thinking that I might get DNA done through Ancestry as well as they have a lot more matches.

Shirlee
Wellington, NZ
ARTHUR Shetland, Scotland BRADSHAW, London, England; CANTWELL, Tipperary, Ireland,; CARRICK, Glasgow, Scotland; GOAR/GORE Orkney, Scotland, HAM, Kilkhampton, Cornwall, England; JOHNSON Shetland, Scotland, KINNA/KINNANE, Co. Clare, Ireland; MEEHAN, Co. Limerick, Ireland; MILNE Orkney, Scotland, MOUNTJOY, Hartland, Devon, England; REARDON, Tipperary, Ireland; STEPHENSON/STEVENSON, Londonderry, Ireland

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 21 08:06 BST (UK) »
Having uploaded my DNA, English only heritage as far as I can ascertain, to FamilyTree DNA my impression is that FamilyTree DNA is of limited value with such heritage. The only matches I have managed to see a link to are those that I have established from other sites

Offline itzmi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 May 21 10:22 BST (UK) »
After over 20 years searching paper records without success I took yDNA tests with FamilyTreeDNA to see if my branch is related to the other person with my surname in the world who has taken a ydna test.We matched. He is from England. Our ancestors were in Surrey. My understanding of genetics is very poor to put it mildly. At FTDNA I was helped enormously by the manager of a project for surname Ruffle, especially concerning genetics. Since I got several matches for surname Mann in the USA I joined a project for that name at FTDNA. The help I receive from the manager of that project is incredible. Not only about DNA but also on paper records including clerics' and enumerators' handwriting through the ages. I also got matches for other surnames including a Ruffell in England. My main interest in geneology is my fatherline. Not knowing the first thing about DNA, x and y chromosomes (only men have a y chromosome as well as an x chromosome, women have 2 x chromosomes instead of an x and a y chromosome I have learnt) , the first test I took was autosomal. I got no ydna matches. Most matches I got were for my motherline. A few were for my father's female ancestors' descendants. Without taking the yDNA test with FTDNA I could not have found my male 6th cousin, nor guessed at my being related to any male Ruffell, not to mention Mann, Onstatt and Everly. The trouble is since few people take yDNA tests there will also be few fatherline matches no matter which DNA test you take. Since my main interest is my fatherline if I had known even the minimum I now know about x and y chromosomes I would not have taken an autosomal test.

Offline MsHistoryMystery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 May 21 12:15 BST (UK) »
I had my DNA done with FTDNA as my cousin originally had his Y DNA done through them about 10 years ago and his Autosomal done after I did. I have since uploaded my results to My Heritage and GedMatch.  Am now thinking that I might get DNA done through Ancestry as well as they have a lot more matches.

Shirlee
Wellington, NZ

So you can put your FTDNA into My Heritage??

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 May 21 13:55 BST (UK) »
I had my DNA done with FTDNA as my cousin originally had his Y DNA done through them about 10 years ago and his Autosomal done after I did. I have since uploaded my results to My Heritage and GedMatch.  Am now thinking that I might get DNA done through Ancestry as well as they have a lot more matches.

Shirlee
Wellington, NZ

So you can put your FTDNA into My Heritage??

You can't upload the raw data from an FTDNA Y-DNA test to My Heritage, but you can upload the raw data from an FTDNA "Family Finder' (autosomal) test to My Heritage.

If you have only taken a Y-DNA test with FTDNA, you can pay the normal fee for the Family Finder test and they can use your previous sample for your autosomal results. You do not need to send off for a brand new kit.

When you receive your autosomal "Family Finder" results, that raw data can then be uploaded to My Heritage.

If you upload your raw data from another test company there is a one off fee involved to unlock all the advanced tools in My Heritage.

Alternatively you can just send off for a My Heritage DNA test kit.

That sounds confusing but I hope you understand.

Offline MsHistoryMystery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 May 21 14:22 BST (UK) »

You can't upload the raw data from an FTDNA Y-DNA test to My Heritage, but you can upload the raw data from an FTDNA "Family Finder' (autosomal) test to My Heritage.

If you have only taken a Y-DNA test with FTDNA, you can pay the normal fee for the Family Finder test and they can use your previous sample for your autosomal results. You do not need to send off for a brand new kit.

When you receive your autosomal "Family Finder" results, that raw data can then be uploaded to My Heritage.

If you upload your raw data from another test company there is a one off fee involved to unlock all the advanced tools in My Heritage.

Alternatively you can just send off for a My Heritage DNA test kit.

That sounds confusing but I hope you understand.

I understand, thank you.  The Y-DNA test was done with FTDNA many years ago so I was just wondering if I could cross reference it on any other sites.  I'm looking into getting a DNA test with MyHeritage or Ancestry at the moment.  Once I choose between them...

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 May 21 14:34 BST (UK) »
It looks like you might be able to transfer Y-DNA from another company to FTDNA:
https://www.familytreedna.com/landing/ydna-transfer.aspx

but I'm not sure if there are any reciprocal arrangements.

Once you decide which autosomal test you would like to take, then the autosomal raw data can be uploaded to other companies, with the exception of Ancestry.

Despite not having the tools that other companies have, they do have the largest database. If you test with Ancestry, then the raw data can be uploaded elsewhere. However if you test with My Heritage, you cannot upload to Ancestry.