Author Topic: Has anyone used Family Tree DNA?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline MsHistoryMystery

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone used Family Tree DNA?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 May 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
It looks like you might be able to transfer Y-DNA from another company to FTDNA:
https://www.familytreedna.com/landing/ydna-transfer.aspx

but I'm not sure if there are any reciprocal arrangements.

Once you decide which autosomal test you would like to take, then the autosomal raw data can be uploaded to other companies, with the exception of Ancestry.

Despite not having the tools that other companies have, they do have the largest database. If you test with Ancestry, then the raw data can be uploaded elsewhere. However if you test with My Heritage, you cannot upload to Ancestry.

Thank you, that's really helpful.  Makes the decision a lot easier!
McGurk, Cushnahan, Mallon, McKenna, Donnelly, McDonald

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 May 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
I manage 3 kits with DNA done through FTDNA and have an incredible number of local matches for all 3 with families from North Antrim/Londonderry (I suspect the North of Ireland Family History Society is responsible for such a large uptake). We don't all know how we are connected but this gives us lots of information to work with.
After getting the results I uploaded each kit to GEDmatch (as well as joining several projects there) and My Heritage (the least useful and reliable in my opinion for sending details of common matches).
I also use DNA Painter to see where matches overlap, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MsHistoryMystery

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 May 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
I manage 3 kits with DNA done through FTDNA and have an incredible number of local matches for all 3 with families from North Antrim/Londonderry (I suspect the North of Ireland Family History Society is responsible for such a large uptake). We don't all know how we are connected but this gives us lots of information to work with.
After getting the results I uploaded each kit to GEDmatch (as well as joining several projects there) and My Heritage (the least useful and reliable in my opinion for sending details of common matches).
I also use DNA Painter to see where matches overlap, etc.

Worked out well for you.  That's great.  I see nothing only tens of vague matches, from all over the world.  No names I recognise.  I find it hard to follow.
McGurk, Cushnahan, Mallon, McKenna, Donnelly, McDonald

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 20:26 BST (UK) »
The 3 kits I manage on FTDNA have, as of this evening, 8708 matches (of which we know links to about 6- 3 siblings, 2 other siblings & one other person), 9349 matches (of which we know links to 1, yes ONE, person- parents were 2nd cousins once removed which means we can even divide clearly into paternal & maternal matches) and 6326 matches (many of which are identifiable relatives).
Even though the 1st two kits (distantly related to each other) seem a bit vague the results are still very helpful as using the results, extensive family trees and DNA painter we are starting to plot out possible connections which is adding a bit to both families.
My biggest problem with My Heritage is not the number of results (lots more on my 3 kits here) but the 'helpful' weekly updated. Kit #1 has a known relative who tested there and each week we send each other the weekly report- never, ever have we gotten the same people in the 2 lists and they are almost solely '3rd-5th cousins.'
One thing My Heritage has done is match me with a VERY close relative which has created a very difficult situation since they've now added a newly discovered 'grandfather' to their tree instead of their father's real father.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lindy Freedman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 12:27 BST (UK) »
After over 20 years searching paper records without success I took yDNA tests with FamilyTreeDNA to see if my branch is related to the other person with my surname in the world who has taken a ydna test.We matched. He is from England. Our ancestors were in Surrey. My understanding of genetics is very poor to put it mildly. At FTDNA I was helped enormously by the manager of a project for surname Ruffle, especially concerning genetics. Since I got several matches for surname Mann in the USA I joined a project for that name at FTDNA. The help I receive from the manager of that project is incredible. Not only about DNA but also on paper records including clerics' and enumerators' handwriting through the ages. I also got matches for other surnames including a Ruffell in England. My main interest in geneology is my fatherline. Not knowing the first thing about DNA, x and y chromosomes (only men have a y chromosome as well as an x chromosome, women have 2 x chromosomes instead of an x and a y chromosome I have learnt) , the first test I took was autosomal. I got no ydna matches. Most matches I got were for my motherline. A few were for my father's female ancestors' descendants. Without taking the yDNA test with FTDNA I could not have found my male 6th cousin, nor guessed at my being related to any male Ruffell, not to mention Mann, Onstatt and Everly. The trouble is since few people take yDNA tests there will also be few fatherline matches no matter which DNA test you take. Since my main interest is my fatherline if I had known even the minimum I now know about x and y chromosomes I would not have taken an autosomal test.

I find both together pretty invaluable to be honest.  I have managed to assign haplogroups to some of my male ancestors due to cousin matches from the same names in my tree.  It's given me a wider perspective on my ethnic background, especially when SNP tracker can sometimes date and locate points of entry to the U.K.

My main focus has been on the male side after finding out the direct surname line was broken in 1801.  Our matches were mainly 'Smith' on Y DNA at every level until we got to Y700. On the block there are about 8 different surnames but the two closest at Y700 were both called Smith but Americans, one with no clear idea where their English Ancestry came from, the other not communicative.  We are in a subclade on our own though so not close enough to confirm our missing 4 x great grandfather was called 'Smith'.

I looked at my 'Smith' matches on autosomal....no luck....but when I contacted a fairly close 'cousin match' she told me her mother's maiden name had been 'Smith'.  Knowing you actually share DNA and it's not down to a mistake on either of your family trees is useful.  We are not there yet and may never be but at least we have a likely surname, just very unfortunate it's such a common one, a more unusual one could have exposed the errant father, 220 years after the event!!!

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 15:35 BST (UK) »
I tested with FTDNA and Ancestry. At one stage (possibly still?) FTDNA was a fair bit cheaper than Ancestry for people in Ireland and that helped with a big uptake here.

Ancestry have me as having 'origins' in New Jersey, so that says it all really as to how accurate/reliable it is.

I much prefer FTDNA's interface.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344