Author Topic: William Thomas Henry Barratt Burial  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas Henry Barratt Burial
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 May 21 01:48 BST (UK) »

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=432946.0

Merg   ... ^ above link is to a lengthy thread which I worked on many years back  ... it relates to your (BARRATT) JENKINS family.   May be helpful to you ?  (- if you haven't already read through it.)

~  Lu

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 May 21 04:09 BST (UK) »
Is this your William Barratt?
Information is from the Petone Settlers Museum database.
If so it suggests that he was buried in St Paul's churchyard - St Pauls church, Thorndon, Wellington?

http://www.huttcity.govt.nz/Leisure--Culture/Museums-and-galleries/Our-museums/petone-settlers-data/DisplayPerson/?Id=100033&SearchString=barratt&SearchYear=&Page=1

TPB

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 May 21 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi TPB

Yes, it is the same man who is being sought.     Note that the death year given there is 1859 (rather than 1855 quoted in post number 1 here).

This information apparently comes from the book (or compiled notes ) by Peggy Crawford (the lady mentioned in the lengthy thread I gave the link to.)

There are also 156 or so "trees" published at the ancestry website for the William BARRATT family - how many containing information copied from similar trees, is not known.     Many though appear to give the March 1855 date.

There is some speculation too, as to whether Mary Ann BARRATT was in fact a "widow" at the time of her 2nd marriage  (1861) ... and a query about William BARRATT having given permission for a daughter to marry at about the same time (1860-61)    ???   

Who knows what info is correct and whether "official" records have been viewed in order to obtain answers to some of these questions  ???

~  Lu

Edit to correct text.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 May 21 05:01 BST (UK) »
https://natlib.govt.nz/records/22542634?search%5Bpath%5D=items&search%5Btext%5D=st+Pauls+Wellington+%2B+death+registers

Hi Merg

Above is a link to the National Library of New Zealand (NATLIB).   
You will see that they have information (records / indexes) available which pertain to St. Paul's  Anglican Church in Wellington - and particularly to "Deaths/burials from 1840".

You can make an enquiry to the "Ask a Librarian" service they offer (see link at top of their webpage.

You should ask if they could check the St Paul's death or burial register from say 1854 to 1861 for William BARRATT  ... or BARRETT (both spellings).    It should be an easy enough lookup for them as I think that information is already indexed.   
[Elsewhere I saw noted that the BARRATT family did have a connection to St. Paul's, Wellington - children married there / baptisms or some such. ]

~  Lu

Online ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 May 21 09:55 BST (UK) »

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=432946.0

Merg   ... ^ above link is to a lengthy thread which I worked on many years back  ... it relates to your (BARRATT) JENKINS family.   May be helpful to you ?  (- if you haven't already read through it.)

~  Lu

That was my thread, Lu - I hope I'm not still haunting your dreams ;D

I have still not found William Barratt under any combination of names  in the BMD indexes and have had on my to-do list for the last year ,another thorough search of the fiche at the library,so will post on here if I find him.

Spades very kindly looked up an inquest for me a while ago - it is now available online- of a William Barrett,who died in Christchurch.I am reasonably sure this is William.So probably buried in Christchurch.

May I ask,merg where you managed to find all the additional christian names ? not from Peggy's book,that's for sure  ::)

I don't know if you are aware,but there is a memorial plaque on a seat in  Bolton Street Memorial park,Wellington.Your own photo of that would be something to take home.

Most of the Barratt trees on Ancestry are largely fiction,sorry to say :(

Barbara

Online ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 May 21 09:59 BST (UK) »

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 May 21 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

No, you're not still "haunting my dreams".  ;D   
Enjoyed your lengthy thread all those years ago ...and learned a lot on that journey.   ;)

Was hoping that you'd pop into this thread and that you might have updates on clan BARRATT or other information you could share here to assist with this enquiry.

Great that the William BARRETT inquest is now available to view online.   My poor eyes have had quite enough reading for one day (that blue paper too, does my head in !)   ;D
But the part I did stumble upon - penultimate page of inquest report - was the evidence given by Police Inspector Edward William SEGAR* ? 
He had known BARRETT for some 6 years - and said he was a "painter" (same occupation as your Wm. BARRATT).    Another witness had also known the "BARRETT" family in Wellington although this had been struck through and replaced with Hawkes Bay.    Another said BARRETT was also known as "John" (- any a.k.a. mention raises suspicion - what was this fella hiding ??  )
And I'm sure you have pored over this report long and hard, Barbara ... and yes, I'm inclined to agree that William BARRETT is more than likely your missing William BARRATT.    :)

~  Lu

Offline merg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 May 21 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
Apologies for the late posting ...still getting my head around the fact that William didn't die in 1855 in Wellington .Fortunately I reside in Christchurch and will chase this line of enquiry up .
I did wondered where that plaque was ...I assumed it was at Bolton Street cemetary and as I intend to visit Sarah's grave I thought I would find this also.
I am the daughter of that "Jenkins lady" in Blenheim who sadly has passed , so I have all of your conversations in the genealogy files.
On another note I note that on alot of the other family tree sites that my Jenkins family have incorrectly added John Bumby Jenkins (1842 ) as Sarah Matilda Duckworth (nee Barratt) which is frustrating

Offline merg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 May 21 00:33 BST (UK) »
Is this your William Barratt?
Information is from the Petone Settlers Museum database.
If so it suggests that he was buried in St Paul's churchyard - St Pauls church, Thorndon, Wellington?

Thanks for this
It most certainly does look like him
Lots of great information...I should have registered here a long time ago  :)

http://www.huttcity.govt.nz/Leisure--Culture/Museums-and-galleries/Our-museums/petone-settlers-data/DisplayPerson/?Id=100033&SearchString=barratt&SearchYear=&Page=1

TPB