Author Topic: William Thomas Henry Barratt Burial  (Read 1642 times)

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas Henry Barratt Burial
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 May 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
Yes Lu I have read that inquest inside out and upside down  ;D It raises more questions than it answers.Did the whole family move South at the same time and William was working in Christchurch because he couldn't find any elsewhere ,or had he just gone AWOL ? habitually drunk,hmmm? Hawkes Bay is a puzzle,though Mary Ann did end up there.What a life of worry that poor woman must have endured.

I seem to remember something in a newspaper about unclaimed letters,but can't lay my hands on it.I've mentioned it in my "genealogy diary" so it must be somewhere.I'll look tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your Mum,merg -she was a great help to me when not much was available online.That explains why I haven't heard from her.I meant to email during lockdown.

I too ,kept all our correspondence.You have my email address,so feel free to ask  if there's anything I can help with :)

I thought the John Bumby Jenkins version was particularly entertaining -a well documented fellow,it wouldn't have been hard to check the facts.Other sites have endowed him with parents and 18 children. I thought about enlightening them ,but that has had no positive effect in the past,so I don't bother now.

I haven't followed up the Barratts recently,but I'm still diving into the Jenkins family now and then.

My sister has just moved to Christchurch.I was just giving her a day or two to unpack before sending her on a "mission" to find William's grave  ;D - you'll know more about where to look - I'd be grateful if you'd let me know if you find him.I suspect he may have been in an unmarked grave though.

Barbara

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 May 21 10:28 BST (UK) »
OK - I'm addicted,couldn't wait until tomorrow to look ???

Not the unclaimed letters,but I found this quite recently,last year,I think.

Barbara

Offline merg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 May 21 10:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara
Oh dear ...I thought that I had emailed you after Mum's passing but with the confusion I may not have.
Not very nice reading that William was addicted to drink.
I intend to check out St Paul's churchyard whilst in Wellibgron  in the Hope that Peggy Crawford is correct .
Failing that I will search Barbados St cemetery   however the headstones in our cemeteries have suffered with the Earthquakes and also alot of the cemetery was lost due to Barbadoes street cutting into it ...apparently.
Yeah I  nearly bought John and Sarah's marraige certificate to confirm  the correct John Jenkins and then I saw that you had acquired  it already and that the ages matched.
Oddly Mum's Jenkins  cousins are the family on geni with John Bumby Jenkins applied incorrectly.
I assume you know that there was a family unveiling of poor old Mary Ann Moore's grave at poranghue?

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 May 21 21:07 BST (UK) »
That's perfectly understandable merg.

So far I haven't found anything in Peggy's book to disagree with,just things she couldn't find at the time.I read about Porongahau in there.

I'll be interested to know what you discover at St Pauls :)

Don't buy any certs without checking with me first - I have a few,which may be an understatement !
(unless you want to do it yourself, of course)

I think perhaps your Mum's cousins have taken Ancestry's hints as fact and then the Copiers Club  have got into full swing.

I have no trees on Ancestry for that reason -it has taken me many hours to get this far to have it swiped by name collectors.

Not that I haven't enjoyed it ;D

Good luck with your trip to Wellington.

Barbara

Offline merg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 May 21 21:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara
Do you have a copy of Peggy's book?
There is a copy at the Canterbury University library.
I have a tree on familysearch and have had to remove quite a few copiers from my tree.
I actually got quite excited at one stage when the incorrect family was attached to my Henderson clan and I ended up related to Royalty.
I will let you know what I find at St Paul's  , I'm expecting alot of unmarked graves however.
Nicci

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 May 21 23:30 BST (UK) »
I do have a copy of Peggy's book,though I was at first traipsing back and forth to the library.I'd have bought one but they are scarce.

I tracked her down and wrote to her with my findings.

We exchanged quite a few emails,then later,she sent me a signed copy of her book ,originally her mother's, to thank me for solving the Sarah mystery and for putting in all the hard work she knew it must have been.

I was really touched :)

Barbara

Offline merg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 June 21 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there ,
No joy at the Barbadoes cemetery.
I rather naively assumed that the plot 26b that has been entered on the findagrave website by "Southern man " as William's burial would be marked on the cemetery map.
However the sections only reach 19 in number. ::)
I've since found out that the map at the cemetery doesn't relate to the records held at the library.
Which is where I will head to next .
I was trolling back through the inquest and thought I would try to find this other William (aka John) from the Hawkes Bay but cannot find any evidence of a Barratt on the census/voter lists for the Hawkes bay .
I'm very frustrated....and have had no word from the National Archives re my query either .
Stumped ????

Offline ellvera

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 June 21 01:00 BST (UK) »
That's disappointing Nicci

I wonder if contacting the "Southern man" would explain why he recorded the burial as plot 26b.

I had intended to email you when I have a minute this week,so will re-read the inquest report to see if I can find anything different.

Though,like you,I have no knowledge of a Barratt in the Hawkes Bay apart from William and Mary Ann's daughter,Sophia, who married Robert Craill.

Barbara

Offline merg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 24 June 21 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have sent a message through to Southern Man ...I might try to get to the library this weekend .