Author Topic: Battle of Germantown, American Revolutionary War  (Read 246 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Battle of Germantown, American Revolutionary War
« on: Saturday 15 May 21 06:32 BST (UK) »
I just discovered I have a relation (possible he was direct ancestor) who died on October 13, 1777 at Germantown, Pennsylvania age 37. His name was John Smith and I know he was born in Berwick upon tweed, England. That's all I know, the Battle of Germantown was on October 04, 1777  -so I assume he must have been a solider and he died from his injuries 9 days after (I assume). I don't know if he was on the British or the American side, I would have presumed the British side but I now know that he fathered a son 'Chester Bullard Smith' born in 1773, Pulaski County,Virginia, so it seems he was in America 2 years before the war started. Any advice for where to find casualty records for both sides for this time? The British lost 71 at the Battle but I don't know if that includes the ones that died from their injuries days later.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Germantown, American Revolutionary War
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 May 21 11:34 BST (UK) »
 Battle of Germantown Author(s):  Alfred C. Lambdin Source:  The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography ,  1877,  Vol. 1, No. 4 (1877), pp. 368-403 Published by:  University of Pennsylvania Press Stable URL:  https://www.jstor.org/stable/20084306

The entire loss sustained by the combatants was never accurately ascertained, but according to the returns collected afterward by the Board of War, the casualties in Washington's army were thirty officers and one hundred and twenty-two men killed, one hundred and seventeen officers and four hundred and four men wounded, and about four hundred prisoners. Included in this last number were some fifty officers and Colonel Matthews regiment. The British loss was reported to be thirteen officers and fifty-eight men killed, and fifty-five officers and three hundred and ninety-five men wounded. American writers have generally believed that the British loss was understated, but the many advantages of defence and protection which the British had in the contest would account for the seeming disparity of numbers, and the aggregate of 1,157 killed and wounded out of the comparatively small forces engaged on either side shows that the Battle of Germantown was no child's play.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire