Author Topic: Diary > Friday 14th May  (Read 715 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 14th May
« on: Saturday 15 May 21 07:44 BST (UK) »
After a very night an overcast grey morning.
No Morris practise due to our musician having an appointment for her second vaccination, and I considered going to an outdoor Tai Chi class. 
Instead, H and I drove to the outskirts of the next town for one of our favourite circular routes.
We park the car anywhere we can find a spot, then walk to a small park we discovered, which is a real oasis of tranquillity, and it's obvious the volunteer gardening team have been working hard.
A woman had a large bag of peanuts, and squirrels were rushing around burying their loot in the fresh dug flower beds.  I can imagine some might shoot amongst the flowers in time.
After examining the small pond, where the water was too murky to see what was causing the ripples, we moved off to the tiny village precinct which retains much of its Victorian charm.  It was good to see the locals standing chatting.
Several of the cafes have put out extra seating to maximise service, so it was a bit more crowded than we expected and rather than sit for coffee we walked over to the Downs where we had a clear view over the still waters of Lyme Bay, and 4 ghost cruise ships were resting at anchor.
Returning home for lunch I was surprised to note we had only walked half of the normal daily step requirement, so after lunch we marched along the prom and up the cliff walk to top up the total, and luckily avoided several rain showers during the day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 14th May
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 May 21 09:36 BST (UK) »
A shame about missing your Morris practice MH but a lovely excursion to make up for it. Great to get away to a quiet place away from the crowds which will no doubt be increasing.

My day:

Art class demo this morning, not missing anything weatherwise, it was grey and gloomy. The woman who bangs about in the class wasn't there thank goodness although someone else did start later on, so much that the teacher had to ask whoever it was to mute themselves. No-one owned up to it. The teacher's painting of a bearded iris was amazing. I find it difficult to concentrate properly on these demos but will watch the recording in my own time. At the end of the lesson the teacher gave me some advice on my portrait, I'd sent her my progress on Wednesday. I'll do some work on it over the weekend.

Had some lunch then out for a walk, hadn't realised how much I wanted to get outside. It was quite chilly compared to yesterday and still dull. When I got home there was a note from the Royal Mail, they'd tried to deliver a parcel. I was mystified as to what it was. When I looked properly at the note it said it had been left with my neighbours, hooray, good old postie. As soon as my neighbour handed it to me I realised it was two of the books I'd ordered that had been sent in the same parcel.

Couldn't be bothered to do much with the rest of the afternoon, finally made myself do some hoovering and dusting. The day was grey right through till nearly 8pm when the sun showed its face.
Same evening as ever, Doc Martin on TV.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 May 21 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hello MH, Roobarb and All

That walk sounds absolutely wonderful.

Mrs P and I try to walk each day and essential to our health we feel.

One walk starts by taking a former historic medieval lane (Grange Lane, Galley Common, Stockingford) now an unmade wooded footpath through a modern residential area, then down steps onto a disused railway cutting and walk along through trees. About 1/4 mile onto another Public Footpath through fields on the former Nuns Common (but being developed for housing, despite well over 300 written objections, giving over 200 valid planning points for refusal, that is according to our Planning Department) and up to an 18th Century / C18 Public House on a hill formerly named Blackmans Hill (likely Blackham after Richard Blackham according to a local old Farm Lease Staffs CRO) at the old Pub (formery called the Holly Bush, but its name changed to the Plough in 1813) cross a D road and along a public footpath alongside a field boundary Smith's common (after Richard Smith C17), through a field called Steeple Field, then through a small wooded glade historically called Oat Croft then along through Priests Field onto Hockley, formerly called The Moors in Henry VIII's Valuation when his men seised the Estate from the Nuns. Here you can see a wood called Brett's Hall Wood near the site of Bretts Hall after Le Brett (just noticed this area is another location being put forward by its owners for housing). I was led to believe surnames Le Brett and nearby Hardreshull link with the Norman Conquest.

According to the printed Geanealogy of Harcourt dated M.DC.LXII., regarding Bret-Hall, this history in relation to Bretts Hall, Stockingford mentions William Palmer, William Pouchin (alias William Pigeon), George Harcourt, John Purefoy, Michael Purefoy and a John White of Bulby, Leicestershire. Documents at TNA, Kew C 1/344/17 refer to the Court of Chancery Purefoy v Pygeon, lands included Stockingford, Warwickshire of William and Elizabeth Purefoy, Anne Harcourt, widow, Mary Palmer and Defendant William Pygeon, dated 1504 to 1515 and the Defendant being heirs of Christien Brett (with a reference to C1/219/54). Also C 1/156/62 dated 1486 - 1515 mentioning William Bret and other documents.

From here we go South along a hedged lane (the lane once went North to an ancient Bronze / Iron age lookout, now a Public Footpath) called Hockley Lane, known as The Moors in the ancient Open Field system period. Before reaching the Hicknol Croft (modern day English and Tithe Map calls it Hicklings Field, at Galley Common), Hic or Ick was an ancient leader, it is then back via a lane to the 19th Century village School (land gifted by a landowner who owned a Moiety of the former Manor here) and home to our houses.

An Anglo Saxon Charter says if anyone should destroy the lands of Eatun may he be condemned to Tartarus etc.

Finds are an Iron Age Bronze Terret, Worked Flint and a coin.

The locals interested in history realise that within months of the recent development starting on the former Nuns Common, the area was also struck by a fatal Influenza outbreak, quickly followed by Covid and now the Indian variant is just 3 miles away as the crow flies.

It is a beautiful rural area criss crossed with rural Public Footpaths with its troughs and small hills, but Planners couldn't care less about destroying the area we walk through and enjoy. We even have a map dating from 1590 to outline a small area of 34 acres under dispute before the Court of Queen Elizabeth I and loads of Leases and Documents, including pre 1500 for the Grange, which Henry VIII left desolate.

Mark

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 May 21 10:07 BST (UK) »
What an interesting walk Mark, I'm impressed with your knowledge of all of the history of the area. It's such a shame that so many areas like those you mention are being taken over by housing developments.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 May 21 10:11 BST (UK) »
Wow. So much history Mark..... what county are you in?

We are about to have yet another enormous development built on green fields, to include school and surgery, helping towards joining Paignton up with Brixham, and destroying all the country between the two towns, which will be so nice.
Hopefully work will continue to join Paignton and Torquay, a project which has been underway for decades, and then there will be one big township all the way around Torbay. 
The excellent outcome of which will be that no one cares to holiday in such an urban area any more.

Always supposing it survives at all, as an objection has been raised against building a new sea wall, meaning much of the below sea level drained land in Paignton will revert to the sea.

In some years time the geography could be entirely different; 2 large towns, split by an even bigger bay of sea water.
 :'(

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 May 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you

We had strong historic and documented evidence set out. Public Consultations are often not saving any location of historic interest, because Planners had already decided and numbered future development sites, which makes a mockery of Planning Law and Guidance that certain historic locations of local interest and enjoyed by locals could be protected.

English Heritage are simply not interested and make excuses. However, their Field Researchers (on programs like Time Team) do exactly the same to pinpoint and name Historic locations using documents.

The Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment Schedule (surveyed after the Tithe Commutation Act 1836, when the Tithe on the old Tithable fields were commuted to a Rent Charge) gives Landowners, main Occupiers, field sizes and field names at the date of Survey.

Using Manorial Court's Baron Surveys after the Dissolution by Henry VIII, plus Manor Surveys, Rentals (which give the Farm Tenant's name and surname, Field names, sizes and some Surveys naming the neighbouring Tenants of adjacent farms and adjacent fields and also some known locations on later 19th Century maps) and other maps, it is possible to build up a map of the earlier Manorial 17th Cent field enclosures after the Open Field system.

This research reveals the locations of older area names like Gibbets Heyes and the Ten Pepper cornes 1690 etc.

Robinsons End, earlier Gibbets Heyes turns up earlier in 16th Century Lease documents called Jebbyte Hey, with Barnes, Easement, Orchard, Gardens, Yard, "Backsyde, grassplatte, hemplatte" [plot] "hoppyard" with Grove called Jebytte Hey".

The Houses depicted in 1592 (near the plot in the ownership dispute) were described as "decayed", so possibly empty since the earlier dissolution.

The Ten Pepper Cornes in our former Manor were listed in a 16th Century Throgmorton Lease and the other location Jebbyte Hey would likely be the older 14th Century lands of Hugh Jabet (1373).

Every single field has a name, occasionally some field names change through time and occasionally some fields carry two names in them on one map (where two fields became one field).

Farms which pass to a Son or Relative are useful for family historians too, where relationships are stated in the Manor Court Rolls, or the surname remains the same through time.

Mark

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 May 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
Quote from BushInn: "Planners had already decided and numbered future development sites, which makes a mockery of Planning Law and Guidance that certain historic locations of local interest and enjoyed by locals could be protected."

That has been my experience in South Devon too.  :'(

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 May 21 23:21 BST (UK) »
Ripples in the pond could be toads or frogs ,how lovely tadpoles soon.

Yes ,so much building, an ancient meadow, never been ploughed ,with wild orchids growing and a pond for an ancient farm the gateposts of which could
be seen ,well all gone , stripped bare by Peel Holdings!
The development will effectively join Ramsbottom  to Summerseat and an ancient setted path.worn by the clogs of workers in Joshua Hoyle’s beautiful Venetian Style Mill  also will have gone.
It was called Starling Street ,” Shepsters’Row, “ by locals.
Well ventured to town ,got a few things , forgot to take a watch needing a new battery, dash!
Got some Fuchsias ,and flower pots to cover the plastic plant pots with spider plants and Aloe Vera plants my friend sent me and I potted up.

I have posted but they have disappeared ?
Not sure why .
So keep well ,my battery is low so must switch off ..
Goodnight everyone, thanks for the news .
Viktoria.