Author Topic: Mount Hamilton House, St Quivox Ayrshire - Photo please  (Read 3631 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mount Hamilton House, St Quivox Ayrshire - Photo please
« on: Saturday 15 May 21 13:41 BST (UK) »

The Ligertwood family lived at Mount Hamilton House in St Quivox from 1865/66 to 1908, Alexander Ligertwood was factor for the Auchincruive Estate. I have discovered a Brief History of the house by C. McKellar. This House has now been demolished.

Two of the Ligertwood daughters, Louisa Petrie and Jessie Ann married two Valentine Brothers, Alexander and John, and as such I am researching the family.

I can find numerous photographs of the House in its sad state of disrepair but would like to see the house in its prime. I have tried to find a picture but to no avail, Can anyone find one for me please.

Patricia

Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mount Hamilton House, St Quivox Ayrshire - Photo please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 May 21 15:43 BST (UK) »
Although not containing any photographs, the following does contain a genealogical table and Census data which may assist in your research:
https://docplayer.net/89947750-Mount-hamilton-house-ayr.html
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 May 21 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes that is the Brief History of the House by C McKellar, I found that and was intrigued to see the house as it was, we have a wedding group photo taken in 1890 which shows a very small area at the side, would love to see the house in its hey day,,,

Thanks for responding
Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 May 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Ayrshire Archives?
When was the house demolished?
Cowban

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 May 21 18:54 BST (UK) »

I haven't tried the Ayrshire archives, will do that thank you.

The property was purchased by the Hannah Research Institute in 1948, following that is was converted into flats for staff and students. eventually closed in 2005. In 2007 it was offered for sale offers around £200.000.... I can't find much else about it.

There is a new build on the site named Mount Hamilton House, part of the old house seems to have been incorporated.

Once again many thanks
Patricia

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 May 21 10:10 BST (UK) »

I haven't tried the Ayrshire archives, will do that thank you.

Also South Ayrshire Libraries Local Studies collection. Photograph collection and newspaper archives.
Cowban

Offline cmsmck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 August 21 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia

Mount Hamilton House has not been demolished. It had a devastating fire a few years ago after it had been sold by the Hannah Research Institute, and was pretty much gutted. It was purchased by a developer and they stripped it back to the original walls, then developed it from there. I have a couple of old photographs of Mount Hamilton House which I will attempt to attach. I'd be really interested to see the wedding photograph that you have from the 1890's! If I can help with anything else, please let me know. Catriona McKellar
Geddes, Reid, Freeland, Trail, Swanson, McKellar, Downie, Wildgoose, Henderson, Gray, Craig, Brown

Offline cmsmck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 August 21 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thought you'd also be interested to know that prior to the fire, on one of the windowsills on the upper floor, there was etched into the leading the name   E J Ligertwood with a date. Sadly, that obviously disappeared with the fire but I have a photograph somewhere of it and will try to find it.
Geddes, Reid, Freeland, Trail, Swanson, McKellar, Downie, Wildgoose, Henderson, Gray, Craig, Brown

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 August 21 11:52 BST (UK) »

How lovely to hear from you, thank you for the two aerial photographs, very interesting. I believe the wedding photograph was taken at the front of the house as the gravel drive is at the front of the picture... if you can understand that..

E.J. Ligertwood was Eliza Jane born Kilbarchan 02/11/1861 she died in 1941. Eliza was the second child of Alexander Ligertwood who was Factor for the Castle Semple Estate and occupant .of the house and Margaret Caldwell, they had 11 children, mostly female, they had three sons. Alexander Lewis 1869-1902, Thomas William 1871-1872 and one recorded as Infant son c1882.  I have attempted to attach the photograph for you.

The two Valentine boys are groom Alexander Gordon Valentine 1855-1892. the young man next to the groom we believe may be  Alexander Lewis Ligertwood and stood next to him is Alexander Gordons brother John Valentine. Alexander Gordon married Jessie Anne Ligertwood in 1890 at Mount Hamilton. he died in 1892 they had no children. John married Louisa Petrie Ligertwood in 1895 again at Mount Hamilton. Both were doctors, They had two other brothers James and George, George too was a doctor and he is my husbands great grandfather, George and his wife are in the photograph.   

I would be interested to know how you have so much information particularly of the interior of the house, our cousin Rosie lives in Scotland and recently made a trip to see the house but was unable to get too close as renovations were in progress. we would love to know more of this property.

Thank you Patricia