Author Topic: Chancery Chambers  (Read 629 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Chancery Chambers
« on: Saturday 15 May 21 22:09 BST (UK) »
The Standard newspaper on 29 November 1904 reports that at 12.30 in Chancery Chambers the case of Darke v  Burkle will be heard. Can anyone advise me whether any of that case can be read anywhere? It seems that the conclusion was that a lot of property was sold off, but I have no idea for whose benefit.
Thanks for any help, Toby.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chancery Chambers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 May 21 23:59 BST (UK) »
In case it helps, there's a relevant notice in the Gazette from earlier in the year (15 March 1904).

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27657/page/1724/data.pdf

Albertina Emma Burkle married Charles le Hunte Darke in Merthyr registration district in 1890.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 May 21 07:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox. This is the same as what appeared in the local S. Wales newspapers. I have not found a will of Edward Burkle which would perhaps indicate the soure of the action. T

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 May 21 10:16 BST (UK) »
There was a will - proved in 1901:
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 May 21 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you ShaunJ.  At the time of his death only 2 of Edward & Martha's 7 children were still living; Albertina born 1867 and Percy in 1874.  Would one agree that the likelihood is that Albertina was not a beneficiary of the will? I wonder  if she, being married to a bank manager, was encouraged to challenge the will.
On a more general point, why are some wills on line and others are only available at the Probate Office in  London?  T

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 May 21 12:40 BST (UK) »
On a more general point, why are some wills on line and others are only available at the Probate Office in  London? 

The probate system changed from 1858. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 May 21 12:54 BST (UK) »
Would one agree that the likelihood is that Albertina was not a beneficiary of the will?

Not necessarily. She may have been challenging the way the estate had been handled by the executors, or there may have been a dispute over one particular asset. A first step to finding out would be to get a copy of the will, costing only £1.50 from the probate registry ...

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

On a more general point, why are some wills on line and others are only available at the Probate Office in  London?

As ShaunJ has indicated, before 1858, the responsibility for probate in England and Wales belonged to the church courts. Because these records are mainly held at county or diocesan record offices, some of them have been digitised online, and many are indexed online in the record offices’ own catalogues.

In 1858 probate became a civil matter. These records are held by the Probate Registry and are generally not online – although they have been filmed by LDS (access at LDS Family History Libraries only). As mentioned above, copies of post-1858 wills can be ordered online for £1.50 each and downloaded a few days/weeks later (depending on the service status).

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 May 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you gentlemen. I had no idea it would be so easy. Reasonable cost too. Look forward to reading it at the end of the month. Pity copies of BMD are not like that too. T

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 10:38 BST (UK) »
The Will arrived earlier than expected and was read but it is questionable whether it was fully understood. Certainly a codicil was attached 2 years after the original Will was written in 1895.
I think I prefer to deal with Wills of earlier centuries.
In any case, thanks for all the help. T