Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 15th May  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 15th May
« on: Saturday 15 May 21 23:56 BST (UK) »
It turned out to be a cold day today, I made the mistake of wearing a hoodie for my walk instead of a jacket, I could have done with some extra warmth. Went down the narrow path, there were still some muddy patches, I could skirt around them but when I came to a large one that I'd have had to walk through I retraced my steps.

Did some alterations to my portrait in the afternoon, the expression is better now but I'm still not satisfied with it, I'll continue in the hope that I can achieve a better likeness. I find it helps to leave it and come back to it. Having had my art materials out inevitably led to my rearranging some of the cupboard shelves.

The weather wasn't tempting me into the garden, it was feeling cold. We've all been comparing the weather to that last year so I had a look back at my diary entries for the time. The 15th was cool and cloudy here, sunny in the Midlands and sunny with a strong cold wind in Devon. The 11th was cold and wet, Caroline reported that she was frozen! The weather seemed to be changeable everywhere during mid May, so not the continuous hot sunny days we thought we had. They came a bit later.
My diary entries during April and May were reflective of how depressed and tearful I was feeling a lot of the time,  and questioning myself as to how many more weeks I could stand it. Weeks?? How about months? In fact how about a year? It's amazing what you can get used to.

Watched two episodes this evening of the drama Too Close. It wasn't far into the first episode when a comment made me realise that I've actually read the book, I can't remember what else happened in it, will find out when I watch the third and final episode. It's strange how some books seem entirely different when they're made into a TV  drama or film.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 15th May
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 21 00:20 BST (UK) »
I got my first vaccine today! I am really happy about it. The service was quick and efficient. I am just looking forward to booking in and receiving my second vaccine. And to the rest of my family getting their second jabs.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 May 21 00:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the TV series recommendation Roobarb. It looks like one I will enjoy. It must have brought back unpleasant memories to read your diary entries from this time last year - it seems that everyone is feeling more positive and getting out and about doing their daily tasks with some limitations of course.

Which jab did you have Stanwix? Have you had any ill effects yet?

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 May 21 02:25 BST (UK) »
Pzier. Nothing other than a sore arm so far.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 May 21 03:10 BST (UK) »
Pzier. Nothing other than a sore arm so far.

Good to hear that all is well.  ;D

We are mainly giving AZ here, with the necessary permissions to produce it here too. Under 40s (or 50, I can’t recall which) are recommended to get the Pfizer due to increased risk of blood clots in the younger ones.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 May 21 08:43 BST (UK) »
Good news about the vaccination Stanwix.   :) I'm getting my second one next Saturday, three weeks earlier than expected.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 May 21 09:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome Stanwix... glad you haven't had much bother with your first vac shot, and happy to know the Uk programme continues to rattle onwards so efficiently. 

Yes Roobarb, when I looked back over diary jottings, I was surprised to see how the weather evens out across the island over the days and months.  Such a good thing you have had your art and garden to occupy you during the pandemic isolation.  Your 2nd shot being brought forward by 3 weeks is massive Roobarb!!

Yesterday as the weather continues wet and windy, H and I drove in the opposite direction to the day before, and parked above Brixham town, with a splendid view of the Dorset coast on a clear day, right across Torbay and into Lyme Bay, so we could see some of the ghost cruise ships at anchor there too.
We walked down into the town, along one of the old drying grounds which is currently a mass of buttercups and daisies, and down the winding steps to the harbour, passing the ancient cottage where my late Ma-in-law used to live. I would love £1-00 for everytime I have trudged up and down those steps! 
Reaching the harbour we wandered along to the other side, and back. Plenty of holiday makers in evidence already. One huge Chelsea tractor trying to get through a narrow gap along the harbour side while eating an ice cream cone, so I am guessing he wasn't local.  :-\
There is a huge floral tribute around the fishermen's memorial, as it isn't long since several crew were drowned on a Brixham fishing vessel. But we also saw 10 swans in a row sleeping on the mud in the harbour, well tended rock gardens, a yellow rose bush in full bloom enjoying a sheltered spot, and a mermaid figure which has been placed above the marina.
Retracing our steps I wondered if I could still sprint up the steep flight of steps to Nanny's cottage.  I haven't attempted that for some 40 odd years, and was chuffed to succeed.  In fact, by the time we got back to the car I really wasn't puffing at all, which must be due to the daily marching up and down the cliff walk here. Quite gratifying on the whole!!  :D

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 May 21 10:03 BST (UK) »
You might have passed my friend's house MH, in fact you might have passed my friend herself! She has described Brixham to me, it does sound lovely, if it wasn't for the pandemic I'd have seen it for myself. Well done on your sprint up the steps, I'm impressed.  :D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 May 21 10:34 BST (UK) »
For you Roobarb. Hope you get to visit soon.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.