Author Topic: Elizabeth Jane Harwood  (Read 461 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Jane Harwood
« on: Sunday 16 May 21 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm trying to trace the life of an Elizabeth Jane Harwood who was born in Sunderland in around June 1884. Her parents were Ralph Harwood and Elizabeth Jane Benson.

I have sight of her on the 1891 census, where she is living with her mother in the house of someone else, in Sunderland.

I also have her on the 1901 census, where she is living with her mother and two siblings, again in Sunderland.

From there on out I lose her. Everything else I know from this point onwards has been passed down to me as stories.

What I know from my family is that at some point she married a man with the surname Mustard and had at least two children with him. Those children are Elizabeth Mustard (b1920) and Robert Mustard (b1992). There may have been a third child too, that's what I was told but I am not sure about this.

My issue is that I can't find a marriage between her and anyone with the surname Mustard. I can't even find a marriage between anyone with the first name Elizabeth and the surname Mustard.

There is an Elizabeth Jane Harwood who marries a man called George Sheraton, in the first quarter of 1906.

They are on the census for 1911, living in Sunderland, and interesting there is a girl with them described as sister-in-law called Mary Harwood. Her birth date fits with a sibling of Elizabeth's called Mary, and I have not been able to find a Mary Harwood anywhere else on the 1911 census where I believe it is her.

So in theory, Elizabeth could have married George Sheraton first and he died and she married someone called Mustard, but again I haven't been able to find a record of a marriage between an Elizabeth Sheraton and a Mustard.

It might just be that my searching is failing me but whichever way I try it, I've not been able to make sense of it. I can't find birth records either for Elizabeth Mustard or Robert Mustard - which is also strange.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Jane Harwood
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 21 02:30 BST (UK) »
I can find no births registered for Mustard with a mother’s name of Harwood. The only Elizabeth Mustard I could find was born in 1919 Easington to mother maiden name: OWENS

There is a marriage for Elizabeth Jane Harwood and George Sheraton in Sunderland Jan 1906

These births registered for Sheraton with mother’s name of Harwood.
Births Mar 1912 
Sheraton    George S    Mother:Harwood    Sunderland
 10a   1460

Births Jun 1914   
Sheraton    John C    Mother:Harwood    Sunderland
 10a   1568

Births Dec 1916  
Sheraton    Ralph W    Mother:Harwood    Sunderland
 10a   1109

George Sheraton died April 1933 Sunderland.
The youngest son, Ralph Sheraton is with his mother in 1939, but she is now married to Henry J PULLING.

There is a marriage in Sunderland Sep 1937 for Henry R Pulling and Elizabeth J Sheraton. There are no births to this marriage (not surprising as Elizabeth would have been too old).

There is an Elizabeth married to Arthur Mustard living in Sunderland at this time, but her birth date is July 1881. Her children’s birth registrations show her maiden name as Smith.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 May 21 02:40 BST (UK) »
I don't know if the 1911 is your Elizabeth but I have followed her story.
4 Sheraton/ Harwood births in Sunderland
1907 Elizabeth Helen
1912 George Stanwix ( interesting given your screen name)
1914 John Cowell
1916 Ralph William
George Sheraton b 1885 died April 29th 1933, thanks in newspaper from Mrs Sheraton and family, also memorial in paper in 1937.
Elizabeth J Sheraton married Henry R Pulling 1937 Sunderland and they are together in 1939 with her son Ralph.
ADDED
Some of this is the same as just posted but I'll post anyway. 1933 date corrected

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 May 21 02:55 BST (UK) »
Those children are Elizabeth Mustard (b1920) and Robert Mustard (b1992). There may have been a third child too, that's what I was told but I am not sure about this.

Is Robert's birth year supposed to be 1922?  Do you have any evidence that these two people actually existed as it would be easier to trace them backwards.

Elizabeth HARWOOD had a sister Jane who had children named Robert and Elizabeth, but they were born  STUART in 1916 and 1920.

Debra  :)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 May 21 02:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your help. I think there must be some confusion about what I was told.

I really appreciate you looking this up, because at least I can put my mind at rest that I wasn't doing it wrong or missing anything.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 May 21 02:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry, just seen your reply Dundee.

No I don't have any evidence other than what a relative told me. She was a bit unwell at the time so she may have got things confused, which is understandable as it was a big family. I will keep looking.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 May 21 03:00 BST (UK) »
Births Mar 1920

STUART,    Elizabeth G
Mother's maiden surname: HARWOOD
Sunderland    10a   1775   

Marriages Sep 1939

MUSTARD,    Charles A   
STUART,  Elizabeth G   
Sunderland    10a   1956   

This couple also had children named Robert and Elizabeth.

Debra  :)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 May 21 03:13 BST (UK) »
Ah, that makes sense, thank you.

I think the generations got confused.