Author Topic: Death of George W. Decker, 1935 .... in ¿Wyoming?  (Read 765 times)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death of George W. Decker, 1935 .... in ¿Wyoming?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 May 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, RJ.  Shame they don't mention the Wyoming angle.  I wonder if there's any truth to it?

You're welcome.

I doubt he died in Wyoming or had anything to do with Wyoming.

From the wording of the obit he died in New York. The one clip states he died "this morning". I really doubt morning news from Wyoming would have travelled to New York, to make the afternoon paper there.

Also, the funeral was to take place Wednesday at the Fred Herbst Sons Memorial, which is in Brooklyn. I don't see getting a body from Wyoming, Monday morning, to Brooklyn by 2 pm Wednesday for a funeral service, especially in 1935.

There is a Wyoming, New York that could be a possibility, but that's in the western side of the state.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 May 21 16:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, I came to the same conclusion - there wasn't time to get the body back from Wyoming so there must be some kind of snafu in the information on the back of the photo.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 June 21 18:31 BST (UK) »
George's death certificate was from New York - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WRS-D1D  A transcription of the certificate said he died at 451 Clarkson Avenue, Kings County Hospital, so definitely not Wyoming.

My guess is that a handwritten NY was mistaken for WY.