Author Topic: war medals  (Read 361 times)

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
war medals
« on: Sunday 16 May 21 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi i need some help.
My grandad has dementia so cant remember everything he has recently been told that hes entitled to some medals and has to fill out a form.
But due to dementia he cant remember the dates when he camed out of the RAF to work with a company called osram some where in london.
My question is there away that we as a family could find hes work records please as that would be a great help for him to get hes war medals before he dies.

thank you x

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: war medals
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 21 11:13 BST (UK) »
He could apply for a copy of his RAF service record; no cost to him.  His record should show when he came out of the RAF.

You could add a note with the forms to explain about his dementia if he is unable to answer all the questions. 

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

His work records with Osram would probably be more difficult to find, if they still exist.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: war medals
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 May 21 12:02 BST (UK) »
It should be that He has a National Insurance Payment Record, that would appear on the HMRC Website. A sudden variation of National Insurance Payments, for a given year, might point to a change in employment.

If He is not Registered for the HMRC Website, then this would have to be undertaken, to view the N.I. Record.

Add: If Your Grandfather is in receipt of a RAF and/or Osram Occupational Pension, then contacting the Pension Administrators, should be able to provide the information, You are seeking.

If all of the above suggestions are not viable, then as 'nanny jan' suggests, applying for His RAF Service Record maybe the only relevant course of action.

Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire